Where are the italicized references in the NA 28 GNT? Accordance is way better in searching LXX

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 4 2015 9:18 AM

I'm sitting in class and my professor is using Accordance. His NA 28 has greek phrases italicized that are references to the LXX. 

Why is this not the case for Logos? Am I missing something? 

Also, Accordance is way better at searching LXX for references directly from the GNT. Just a few clicks and you can do it. Logos won't catch them all unless it uses the fact parsing and you have to have your LXX pulled up. This is huge for those who want to exegete the text!!! 

I have to give points to Accordance here. It is better than Logos for exegetes, as of now. 

Please work on this. 

Clinging to Logos in an Accordance filled class, Sam Choi 

Posts 1107
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:31 AM

Thanks Sam. The italicized references are on our list.

Posts 10535
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:41 AM

I'll be interested to read of an answer from Logos.  Looking at NA27 (and NA28), I don't see anything, though UBS4 had bolded text.  I was surprised to read 'NA28 and its predecessor use italics for quotations from the Old Testament.'  from http://marginalia.lareviewofbooks.org/peter-williams-on-the-nestle-aland-novum-testamentum-graece/   I also don't see any direct Logos search for OT quotes in NA28, similar to UBS4.

And your comment on NT > LXX is an interesting one.  I don't think Logos has ever really sorted out an LXX-greek functionality against an NT-greek one.  I'm always having to make compromises in the priority lineup.

Unrelated, but from the same site as above, this was interesting (my underlining):

'Since the text of NA28 outside the Catholic Epistles is the same as that of NA27 (1993) which in turn had the same text as NA26 (1979), which had the same text as the third edition of the United Bible Societies (1975), it is worth noting that the textual decisions for most of the NT were made in the early 1970s. NA29 will be some time hence, and if future Nestle-Aland editions await the publication of the ECM before changes are made to the main text, we may be looking at half a century or more between the original textual decisions and subsequent revisions.'

EDIT: Just saw Kyle's promise ('on our list').  

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:01 AM

Thank you Kyle G.! 

Any possibility that LXX can be searched straight from your GNT, the way Accordance does? 

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 12:05 PM

I might be misunderstanding something here, but OT quotations are italicised in NA28 in Logos when I use it - see screenshot below. I agree it would be helpful to have a quicker way to search for LXX citations. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 12:22 PM

You are right, but that is when it a direct quotation. For example, Revelation has tons of allusion that are almost quotations and the NA 28 italicizes those, but not in Logos. 

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 12:50 PM

My guess is that Accordance can do this in fewer steps than Logos, but it isn't too unwieldy as it is.

1: Right click a word in the GNT

2: Click on the lemma (green)

3: Choose Morph:"lemma name" on the left (may require scrolling down) (red)

This will run a morphological search on the lemma in question in the prioritized Greek resource. At this point, it would be nice to be able to choose the LXX right here. But one further step will do it

4: In the search that just opened, Change the searched resource from NA27/28 whatever to LXX. Click on the searched text (orange) and type LXX in the box that appears (blue) and select your preferred LXX. (Brown)

Posts 10535
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:06 PM

david ... I think you illustrated Sam's point for him ... and with great illustrations too!  (I'm smiling)

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1887
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:44 PM

If you use the NA28 Auflage, at the end of each verse is an *.  if you hover over the * it gives you the LXX reference or even within the NT.  

I have never used Accordance, so I don't know how it searches. 

I know how to do something like this in BibleWorks. 

Posts 10294
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 2:28 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:
If you use the NA28 Auflage, at the end of each verse is an *.  if you hover over the * it gives you the LXX reference or even within the NT

I think you refer to lls:na28gbs - sold as part of the NA & apparatus - whereas my edition without apparatus, lls:na28 (not or no longer sold separately, but priced identically) doesn't provide the cross references. I hope Logos updates the resource to bring them. The italics text, however, is in this NA 28 as well as in the NA 27 I own exactly identical to the printed NA 27 on my desk - just missing the cross references.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS