Zondervan - No dynamic pricing? Wow.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:39 AM

Probably old news to some, but I just noticed this. Although I'm not in a position to buy anything big at this time, I occasionally check the pricing and dream. Smile

Noticed that the Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle doesn't consider any of the big titles/series that I already have in that bundle.

This should really be changed at some point.

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:41 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Probably old news to some

Yes. Tongue Tied

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
This should really be changed at some point.

Zondervan doesn't play nicely. They don't give out academic discounts either.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 12:24 PM

alabama24:

As I am learning. I'll try to be nice in my opinions, but that business practice appears to be bordering on unGodly.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 12:35 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Noticed that the Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle doesn't consider any of the big titles/series that I already have in that bundle.
You could try selling the resources that you have and then applying the money to the purchase of the larger bundle. 

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:14 PM

Or get on the Zondervan mailing list. They usually offer a resource each week or so at 20%-30% off. Between these sales and others Logos offers you can slowly pick up their works. Their bundle price is not discounted very much anyway.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:18 PM

Kevin Maples:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
You could try selling the resources that you have and then applying the money to the purchase of the larger bundle. 

Thanks Kevin; That is an option, but way too much work, calculation, and timing to consider. In that case, it would probably be more economical on labor and finances to just purchase the missing resources, and take a hit on financial savings (if the difference is not so great). Smile

The key to this situations is for greed (or whatever) not to take precedence, and allow dynamic pricing to take place. Now that I'm thinking of it, I remember that Thomas Nelson also had no dynamic pricing.

My take on this may seem somewhat insulting to Zondervan, but this is how I see it, and I'm sure that I am not the only one. Really? No dynamic pricing for what is already purchased, and no academic pricing for students who may already be struggling? What reason or purpose could that provide?

I know that in cases such as this, Logos/Faithlife has to follow the rules of the publisher. I just don't understand the reasoning of the publisher on this. Surely, a heavy weight publisher such as Zondervan could allow academic and dynamic pricing to take place, and still grow beyond measure without the thought of losing any revenue.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:19 PM

For example this weeks email featured the Expositor's Bible Commentary at 64% off with coupon code EBC15.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:21 PM

Keith Larson:

Or get on the Zondervan mailing list. They usually offer a resource each week or so at 20%-30% off. Between these sales and others Logos offers you can slowly pick up their works. Their bundle price is not discounted very much anyway.

That's a good idea, Keith. I may check in to that for future needs. Smile

Thanks

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:28 PM

Keith Larson:

For example this weeks email featured the Expositor's Bible Commentary at 64% off with coupon code EBC15.

Yes, this is one of the resources I have. Purchased it when it was originally $129 without a code. :-)

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:33 PM

Well, I'm done venting now. Sorry, and thanks for offering some options in order to alleviate this situation. Big Smile

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 1:35 PM

Keith Larson:

Hi Keith,

Do you have a link for where to sign up for the mailing list?

Posts 1600
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 3:08 PM

Ron:

I'd like to know also.

Posts 1079
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 3:20 PM

I think that Keith is referring to a standard Logos mailing list. There is one for IVP, and another for Zondervan etc.

https://www.logos.com/account/mailinglists

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 929
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 7:41 PM

Ron:

The most recent Zondervan/Logos mailing list can be found here https://www.logos.com/zondervan-free-book-2015 Signing up gets you a free copy of Keep Your Greek

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:14 PM

Thanks for this thread! I am new to Logos so Expositor's was too expensive when I made my initial purchase. With the discount and my birthday coupon, it is much more affordable. I have signed up to get the weekly coupons now as well.

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:44 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

alabama24:

As I am learning. I'll try to be nice in my opinions, but that business practice appears to be bordering on unGodly.

Being a little hard on Zondervan. I have picked up some excellent sales deals that are not available on Logos.

Keith Larson:

This is the right idea, they will give fantastic discounts on their eBook versions when they periodically come on sale. Agreed the old 'rocking horse' of tagging is not there for searches, but hey!.., I'd rather take the long way around than not have the resource altogether! Not all that long ago, they made the entire NIVAC series available at $4.99 per volume!! That was something I thought I'd never see. So I think a sense of fairplay is needed here. Sure Logos have not been able to secure a dynamic pricing arrangement with Zondervan (as yet), and I can see why.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 7:07 AM

Keith Larson:

It looks like this only works on the original version, not the revised one. I find that an interesting choice on Zondervan's part. If someone already has the revised set, I doubt they would spend the money on the original set. If someone has neither, it seems improbable that they would spend the money on the older set and THEN spend more money later on the newer set rather than just put money towards the newer set to begin with. Or am I missing something here and the original set is really that much better? Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to understand the logic.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 7:58 AM

David Ruley:

Thanks for this thread! I am new to Logos so Expositor's was too expensive when I made my initial purchase. With the discount and my birthday coupon, it is much more affordable. I have signed up to get the weekly coupons now as well.

Hi David; Welcome to Logos. Smile

I originally wrote this post because it was hard for me to take that there was no dynamic pricing on a package in which I owned at least 75% of the resources. In the progression of the thread, I did vent my discontent a little (which I rarely do), however, there was a positive outcome. There were options and sales that were uncovered that probably would have been unknown. Big Smile

Expositor's which is over $300.00 now was originally $129 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. When Zondervan released the new version, the price of the old was jacked way up (probably to attempt sales of the new version).

At $129 (with the discount code), this is a very good value, and I would recommend anyone to jump on it if at all possible.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 8:11 AM

George Gates:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

alabama24:

Being a little hard on Zondervan. I have picked up some excellent sales deals that are not available on Logos.

Agreed, and I rescind on my somewhat negative comments. I do understand that this is just the way that Zondervan decided to do business and offer their discounts (in which they are entitled to do). To offer dynamic pricing on bundles, which is pretty much acceptable and in agreement with most, would be a good thing though.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 8:12 AM

I have picked up some excellent zondervan deals within logos.

Try making a deal in conjunction with ordering a base package.

I got verbum standard (I think? - my signature should hold the proper bp name), and the zondervan biblical languages package together for 60$ less than z Biblical Languages alone. the verbum BP was around 120$ - so in terms of value I saved about 180$ off the cost of BL + the bp.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS