Anyone heard of this supposed 1st Cent. copy of Mark?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:27 AM

Just read an article that briefly mentioned a "buzz" about this supposed document, but then says no one has seen it yet. Tongue Tied

Anyone have info on this?

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:39 AM

I haven't heard of this, but here is a quick Google search link that produced quite a few results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1st+century+copy+of+mark&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:40 AM

Yes.

Google first century gospel of mark

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3132
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 10:11 AM

Another hype? Just in time for Easter. Here we go again........

mm

mm.

Posts 24
LogosEmployee
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 10:22 AM

There appear to be two documents that are floating around the internet that claim to be portions of Mark. This article from Daniel B Wallace is talking about the Markan fragment. It's not some hype in time for Easter, its been talked about for about 2-3 years. The authentication process is still going on.

http://danielbwallace.com/2012/03/22/first-century-fragment-of-marks-gospel-found/

In the comments section there is a reference to a so called "manuscript" of Mark that is a forgery. This is the not the fragment Wallace is talking about in the main part of the article. So there are two things that appear to be going around.

Blessings in Christ!

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:39 AM

This kind of thing tends to get attention around Easter, though, as the usual suspects want desperately to cast doubt on Christ's resurrection. The only way open to them is to challenge the canonical account, hence "lost manuscripts", "suppressed gospels", etc.

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 4:11 PM

Okay, I get it now. I'm pretty sure I had already heard of this, in Wallace's debate with Ehrman, but it was just a passing mention. Larry Hurtado has this from his blog about the story.

I've watched both Craig Evans and Daniel Wallace debate Bart Ehrman on Youtube. Wallace did a passable job...didn't quite mop the floor with him in the way he made out afterwards, though. Evans, on the other hand, needs to let others take care of the apologetic lifting. I find it interesting that these two are the ones involved with this. I saw the video of Evans other speech, where he described how the fragment was part of a papyrus mummy mask that had been taken apart, etc., etc. As I was watching, I was thinking, "I'm glad Evans has found a more productive use of his time." And then, after reading Hurtado's blog above, it turns out that Evans was reporting on something akin to vapor. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 4:22 PM

It will be interesting to find out what it has for the ending of Mark.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS