What books on sale by Stanley Porter would you give up breakfast for?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1075
JohnB | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 13 2015 1:10 AM

I am not really familiar with Stanley Porter and do not read Hebrew or Greek.. If you were me, are there any of his books on the March Madness sale you would give up breakfast for for a week to buy if you did not have them - and why?

Posts 2455
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 4:00 AM

Hi John,

At least 7 of the books listed are co-authored by Craig Evans, so they should be listed under his books today at 35% off rather than 30%.

I have a few of his books that came in bundles or packages. His books onExegesis and NT Interpretation are both very useful, but a bit expensive even at a discount, Sheffield Publishing generally is expensive. The one on Backgrounds looks interesting to me, but it is co-authored by Evans so we will see. Hope this helps.

Posts 1075
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 10:33 AM

Thanks very much for your thoughts and comments John

Sorry not to reply before but I have been away 'walking in the rain'. Well we did get two rain free days so life has to have been good!

PS I live in Sheffield UK but sadly I am confident that this will not get me a discount!

Posts 2608
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 11:03 AM

Porter is one of the best, but his stuff goes fairly deep. If you browse his offerings, post which volumes you think look good to you and I or someone else can assess usefulness for someone without language skills.

Rule of thumb is that you can read around highly technical material by introduction and summary and simply skim for clarifications on more complex passages. Porter writes very well and doesn't assume you are a high-level language geek from what I've read so far.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS