SSD 128 or 240 with a SD card

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 23 2015 10:55 PM

I am looking into upgrading the hard drive on my laptop which is a standard Hard Drive. I was looking at prices on amazon for SSD drives and they have dropped down in price. So I was looking at a 128GB drive and a 240 GB drive. The price is not much more from one to the other but I also don't want to spend more money just for the sake of having more space.

So my question is would 128 GB be enough for Windows 8.1, Logos  6 "Silver", Office 2013 and all the basic PDF Reader etc programs. I currently have a 500GB drive on my desktop with all these programs installed and I am only using 80 GB and that includes about 30 GB of data for documents and pictures. So if I installed a 128GB SSD with a 128GB SD card for all my documents and pictures do you guys think that would be enough space for what I need?

I can get the 240GB but I also don't want to pay an extra 40 bucks just so that I can have more free space on my drive. What is the point of me getting a 240GB drive so that I'll have 200 GB of free space. I don't plan to install anything else then what I mentioned.

Logos 6 Platinum on Windows 10

Posts 1624
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 1:29 AM

Diego Lara:
I can get the 240GB but I also don't want to pay an extra 40 bucks just so that I can have more free space on my drive.

Get the larger one. At some point, you will fill up the smaller one (or almost fill it so that it becomes inefficient). It's not worth penny-pinching on this purchase.

Posts 9866
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 4:04 AM

Allen Browne:

Diego Lara:
I can get the 240GB but I also don't want to pay an extra 40 bucks just so that I can have more free space on my drive.

Get the larger one. At some point, you will fill up the smaller one (or almost fill it so that it becomes inefficient). It's not worth penny-pinching on this purchase.

Yes What he said.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27275
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 4:29 AM

Diego Lara:

I can get the 240GB but I also don't want to pay an extra 40 bucks just so that I can have more free space on my drive. What is the point of me getting a 240GB drive so that I'll have 200 GB of free space. I don't plan to install anything else then what I mentioned.

Free space is your friend. It is oxygen. Your files need "room to breathe."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13220
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 4:31 AM

I agree with the others.

Also, installing the larger drive will mean you don't have to use the SD card, which I wouldn't recommend. They're very slow, and easily lost.

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 5:33 AM

Sell your SD card on eBay and get the 240 GB SSD. There's nothing like free space for sustained performance and reliability of SSD's (I have used a 180 GB drive for 3 years and use about 85 GB in total but will peak at 100 GB with backups, so a 128 GB drive is out of the question).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2352
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 5:49 AM

There are 500 GB [$200] and 1 TB [$500] Available. Don't know it they will fit.

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 8:03 AM

Thank you everyone I went ahead and ordered the 256 GB SSD Card. That will be plenty for the OS Software and about 30GB of files I currently have. And plenty of space for future data storage.

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 6:37 PM

Diego Lara:
Thank you everyone I went ahead and ordered the 256 GB SSD Card.

Very sensible.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 8:55 AM

Installed the SSD drive installed Windows 8.1 on it did all the updates installed Logos, Office Etc and I already see an ridiculous improvement in performance. Logos came up and did the indexing which usually took minutes to do was done pretty much instantly this time. Thank you everyone for your wise advice.

Posts 1624
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 4:49 PM

Diego Lara:
I already see an ridiculous improvement in performance.

Hope you enjoy your "new" machine (performance-wise), and that it encourages you to dig deep into God's word.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS