John A. T. Robinson

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 751
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 25 2015 4:45 PM

I would love to see John A. T. Robinson's Redating the New Testament in my Logos library. Does anybody else agree?

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 5:48 PM

Jack Hairston:

I would love to see John A. T. Robinson's Redating the New Testament in my Logos library. Does anybody else agree?

I'm not sure I'd buy an individual JAT Robinson work, but I'd be interested in a collection that contained more of his work.

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 5:53 PM

There is a collection up on PrePub.

https://www.logos.com/product/47306/john-at-robinson-collection

Cliff

Posts 18637
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 6:10 PM

Jack Hairston:

Yes! (I've added the Amazon link; it's published by Wipf & Stock, 2000).

And more by him:

Many of Logos's core user base would not be interested in his works, since he was a liberal provocateur who challenged traditional theological concepts. But as the Bishop of Woolich and a prolific and influential theologian, he was an important figure in a significant period of the history of the Church in England and he's someone to be studied. He was active "during a time of considerable foment, unrest and change in society generally, in the church, and in theology and New Testament studies." The challenges and changes facing the church included: "England’s reconstruction during the postwar years; the Second Vatican Council in the mid-1960s; ...secularism and religious pluralism....Rudolf Bultmann and his influence in English-language scholarship, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the new quest for the historical Jesus and redaction criticism of the Gospels."

R. Alan Culpepper, “Robinson, John A. T. (1919–1983),” ed. Donald K. McKim, Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters (Downers Grove, IL; Nottingham, England: InterVarsity Press, 2007), 874.

EDIT: After seeing the link to the existing collection in pre-pub (which I've now bid on), I edited this post to strike through the ones that are already included in the collection and put stars next to the most important of the remaining ones (basically, the ones that publishers have seen as important enough to reissue).

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 7:38 PM

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Thanks.  That's useful, but very pricey for just 3 volumes.  Many of his works can be found in UK charity shops.  I've passed more copies of Honest to God than I can say.

Posts 18637
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 9:20 PM

Rayner:

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Thanks.  That's useful, but very pricey for just 3 volumes

Yes, I agree. I'm surprised the discount off the full price is so little for pre-pub. It might be a limitation of their contract with this particular publisher. Usually they're able to offer more off than that. I usually don't like to pay more than $10-15 per volume in pre-pub. Sometimes I'll go higher than that if I really want something, or if it's for volumes that normally would be way more each (and worth it).

Posts 751
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 7:59 AM

Rosie Perera:

Jack Hairston:

Many of Logos's core user base would not be interested in his works, since he was a liberal provocateur who challenged traditional theological concepts.

Thanks for the input, Rosie. I learn the most when reading or discussing the Bible with someone who sees things from a different angle, even when I do not agree with everything they say. Gold is where you find it.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 9:53 AM

Rayner:

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Thanks.  That's useful, but very pricey for just 3 volumes.  Many of his works can be found in UK charity shops.  I've passed more copies of Honest to God than I can say.

I remember reading Honest to God while in cemetery.  I had occasion to speak with George Carey when he was lecturing at Notre Dame years ago and asked him how Robinson's view could be tolerated in the CoE.  He kind of blew it off.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the main reason I was replying to you on this:  I think it would make a good Verso book.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 10:24 AM

Rayner:

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

George Somsel:

I remember reading Honest to God while in cemetery.  I had occasion to speak with George Carey when he was lecturing at Notre Dame years ago and asked him how Robinson's view could be tolerated in the CoE.  He kind of blew it off.

Ha!  The C of E is a wide church,  but partly he was tolerated, I think because it was the 60s and the winds of change were blowing.  His views on other topics are more interesting eg. early dating of John's gospel.

George Somsel:

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the main reason I was replying to you on this:  I think it would make a good Verso book.

Indeed!

Posts 55
Thaddeus Billman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2018 3:21 PM

Jack Hairston:

It's a shame this didn't make it out of pre-publication.  Probably the fact that it was bundled with two less desirable books with minimal disocunt didn't help.  In any case, I have created a user voice suggestion.  

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34586467-redating-the-new-testament

Please consider upvoting it. Smile

Posts 6158
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2018 5:56 PM

Too bad it didn’t make it! I can’t believe it’s been that long since it was offered.

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 3:48 AM

It is available in the Internet as pdf for free. Long time ago I started to read it, but I could not really follow his argumentation in detail. I think his basic argument is quite realistic.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2302
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 3:53 AM

I wish it would have made it through prepub too.

Posts 55
Thaddeus Billman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 6:28 PM

Ronald Quick:

I wish it would have made it through prepub too.

Give the book suggestion an upvote and maybe Faithlife will give it another try.  

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34586467-redating-the-new-testament

Posts 55
Thaddeus Billman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 6:32 PM

Veli Voipio:

It is available in the Internet as pdf for free. Long time ago I started to read it, but I could not really follow his argumentation in detail. I think his basic argument is quite realistic.

I have it in print. Robinson's argument is quite meticulous and quite good. He also considered authorship of each book as part of investigation.

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 19 2018 12:38 PM

Thaddeus Billman:

Veli Voipio:

I have it in print. Robinson's argument is quite meticulous and quite good. He also considered authorship of each book as part of investigation.

Good. I voted. I am interested reading it again

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 19 2018 12:38 PM

Thaddeus Billman:

Veli Voipio:

Good. I voted. I am interested reading it again

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS