Books on the Atonement

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 895
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:34 PM

Studying for Easter, I have been looking for books on the atonement. I found this list of books and was disappointed in the selection of them from Logos. Number 3 on this list is available from Vyrso and 4,8 and 10 are available in Logos. The others would be nice to have:

Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die - Piper

The Cross He Bore, The Victory of the Lamb and Is It Nothing to You? - Leahy

The Aronement: Its Meaning and Significance - L Morris

Redemption Accomplished and Applied - Murray

In My Place Condemned He Stood - Packer/Dever

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:41 PM

Justin Gatlin:

would be nice to have:

Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die - Piper

huh? https://www.logos.com/product/4060/fifty-reasons-why-jesus-came-to-die (didn't check the others, I think I remember either Morris or Murray has often been asked for)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:43 PM

Must have been Morris, since Murray is here: https://www.logos.com/product/37536/redemption-accomplished-and-applied 

Posts 895
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 12:44 PM

Oops. I was switching back and forth between Vyrso and Logos searching and missed them. Sorry. I actually have Murray, so I must have overlooked that since the color was off. 

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 5:07 PM

One that I've been wanting to see is:

The Nature of the Atonement by John McLeod Campbell

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1579103200/ 

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 7:43 PM

Here is a bibliography of my Atonement Collection as it currently sets. All these resources are in Logos.

Adamson, William. The Nature of the Atonement. Fourth Issue. Evangelical Union Doctrinal Series. London; Glasgow: Hamilton, Adams, & Co.; Thomas D. Morison, 1880.
Alford, Henry. The Consistency of the Divine Conduct in Revealing the Doctrines of Redemption. Cambridge; London: J. & J. J. Deighton; J. G. F. & J. Rivington, 1842.
Belousek, Darrin W. Snyder. Atonement, Justice, and Peace: The Message of the Cross and the Mission of the Church. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2012.
Berkhof, Louis. Vicarious Atonement through Christ. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1936.
Bowne, Borden P. The Atonement. Cincinnati; New York: Curts & Jennings; Eaton & Mains, 1900.
Campbell, John McLeod. The Nature of the Atonement and Its Relation to Remission of Sins and Eternal Life. Fourth Edition. London: Macmillan and Co., 1873.
Candlish, Robert S. The Atonement: Its Efficacy and Extent. Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1867.
Cochran, Samuel Davies. The Moral System and the Atonement. Oberlin, OH: Edward J. Goodrich, 1889.
Cole, Otis. The Atonement: A Brief Study. Cincinnati: The Methodist Book Concern, 1921.
Crawford, Thomas J. The Doctrine of Holy Scripture Respecting the Atonement. Fourth Edition. Edinburgh; London: William Blackwood and Sons, 1883.
Dabney, Robert L. Christ Our Penal Substitute. Richmond, VA: Presbyterian Committee of Publication, 1898.
Dale, R. W. The Atonement: The Congregational Union Lecture for 1875. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1875.
Dever, Mark, and Michael Lawrence. It Is Well: Expositions on Substitutionary Atonement. 9Marks. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2010.
Dix, Gregory. The Claim of Jesus Christ. Chicago; New York; Toronto: Wilcox & Follett Company, 1951.
Edwards, Jonathan, John Smalley, Jonathan Maxcy, Nathanael Emmons, Edward D. Griffin, Caleb Burge, William R. Weeks, and Edwards A. Park. The Atonement: Discourses and Treatises. Boston: Congregational Board of Publication, 1859.
Edwards, Lewis. The Doctrine of the Atonement. Translated by David Charles Edwards. Second Edition. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1888.
Foley, George Cadwalader. Anselm’s Theory of the Atonement: The Bohlen Lectures, 1908. London; Bombay; Calcutta; New York: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1909.
Giles, Chauncey. Lectures on the Incarnation, Atonement, and Mediation of the Lord Jesus Christ. Third Edition. New York: The General Convention of the New Jerusalem in the United States of America, 1868.
Grensted, L. W. A Short History of the Doctrine of the Atonement. London; New York; Bombay: Longmans, Green & Co.; Manchester University Press, 1920.
Grotius, Hugo. A Defence of the Catholic Faith Concerning the Satisfaction of Christ, against Faustus Socinus. Translated by Frank Hugh Foster. Andover: Warren F. Draper, 1889.
Gunton, Colin E. The Actuality of Atonement: A Study of Metaphor, Rationality, and the Christian Tradition. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2003.
Gunton, Colin E., King’s College (University of London). Research Institute in Systematic Theology. The Theology of Reconciliation. London; New York: T&T Clark, 2003.
Hodge, Archibald Alexander. The Atonement. Philadelphia, PA: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1867.
Holmes, Stephen R. The Wondrous Cross: Atonement and Penal Substitution in the Bible and History. Colorado Springs, CO; Milton Keynes, MK; Secunderabad, AP: Paternoster, 2007.
Instone-Brewer, David. Feasts and Sabbaths: Passover and Atonement. Vol. 2A. Traditions of the Rabbis from the Era of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2011.
Jenkyn, Thomas W. The Extent of the Atonement, in Its Relation to God and the Universe. Third Edition. Boston; New York; Cincinnati: Gould and Lincoln; Sheldon, Blakeman & Co.; George S. Blanchard, 1859.
Kelly, W. Lectures on the Day of Atonement: Leviticus 16. London: W. Walters, 1889.
Lape, Thomas. A Manual of the Christian Atonement. New York: M. W. Dodd, 1851.
Lidgett, John Scott. The Spiritual Principle of the Atonement. Second Edition. London: Charles H. Kelly, 1898.
Lofthouse, W. F. Ethics and Atonement. London: Methuen & Co., 1906.
Mackintosh, Robert. Historic Theories of Atonement: With Comments. London; New York; Toronto: Hodder and Stoughton, 1920.
Malcom, Howard. The Extent and Efficacy of the Atonement. Second Edition. New York: Robert Carter, 1840.
Mann, Alan. Atonement for a “Sinless” Society: Engaging with an Emerging Culture. Colorado Springs, CO; Milton Keynes, MK; Secunderabad, AP: Paternoster, 2005.
Marshall, I. Howard. Aspects of the Atonement: Cross and Resurrection in the Reconciling of God and Humanity. Colorado Springs, CO; Milton Keynes, MK; Secunderabad, AP: Paternoster, 2008.
Martin, Hugh. The Atonement: In Its Relations to the Covenant, the Priesthood, the Intercession of Our Lord. Edinburgh: James Gemmell, 1882.
McCurdy, Leslie. Attributes and Atonement: The Holy Love of God in the Theology of P. T. Forsyth. Colorado Springs, CO; Milton Keynes, MK; Secunderabad, AP: Paternoster, 1999.
Miley, John. The Atonement in Christ. New York; Cincinnati: Eaton & Mains; Jennings & Graham, 1907.
Moberly, R. C. Atonement and Personality. London: John Murray, 1907.
Morey, Robert A. Studies in the Atonement. Maitland, FL: Xulon Press, 2011.
Mozley, J. K. The Doctrine of the Atonement. Studies in Theology. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1916.
Oxenham, Henry Nutcombe. The Catholic Doctrine of the Atonement: An Historical Inquiry into Its Development in the Church: With an Introduction on the Principle of Theological Developments. Second Edition. London: Wm. H. Allen & Co., 1869.
Paterson, Robert. The Philosophy of the Atonement. Glasgow: David Bryce and Son, 1892.
Peterson, Robert A. Calvin and the Atonement. Fearn, Ross-shire, UK: Christian Focus Publications, 1999.
Pink, Arthur Walkington. The Satisfaction of Christ. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2005.
Pohle, Joseph, and Arthur Preuss. Soteriology: A Dogmatic Treatise on the Redemption. Dogmatic Theology. St. Louis, MO: B. Herder, 1919.
Pullan, Leighton. The Atonement. Edited by W. C. E. Newbolt and Darwell Stone. The Oxford Library of Practical Theology. London; New York; Bombay: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1906.
Remensnyder, Junius B. The Atonement and Modern Thought. Philadelphia, PA: Lutheran Publication Society, 1905.
Sabatier, Auguste. The Doctrine of the Atonement and Its Historical Evolution and Religion and Modern Culture. Translated by Victor Leuliette. Vol. IX. Crown Theological Library. New York; London: G. P. Putnam’s Sons; Williams and Norgate, 1904.
Shaw, Ian J., and Brian H. Edwards. The Divine Substitute: The Atonement in the Bible and History. Leominster, UK: Day One Publications, 2006.
Shelton, R. Larry. Cross and Covenant: Interpreting the Atonement for 21st Century Mission. Colorado Springs, CO; Milton Keynes, MK; Secunderabad, AP: Paternoster, 2006.
Sherman, Robert. King, Priest, and Prophet: A Trinitarian Theology of Atonement. London; New York: T&T Clark International, 2004.
Smeaton, George. Paul’s Doctrine of the Atonement : Taken from The Doctrine of the Atonement According to the Apostles. Electronic ed. based on Hendrickson reprint of 1870 ed. Simpsonville SC: Christian Classics Foundation, 1996.
Smeaton, George. The Doctrine of the Atonement, as Taught by Christ Himself. Second Edition. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1871.
Smeaton, George. The Doctrine of the Atonement, as Taught by the Apostles. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1870.
Smith, David. The Atonement in the Light of History and the Modern Spirit. London; New York; Toronto: Hodder and Stoughton, 1919.
Spring, Gardiner. The Attraction of the Cross; Designed to Illustrate the Leading Truths, Obligations and Hopes of Christianity. Ninth Edition. New York: M. W. Dodd, 1854.
Staats, Gary. The Person and Work of Christ in the Hebrew Scriptures: Great Day of Atonement. Gary Staats, 2010.
Symington, William. On the Atonement and Intercession of Jesus Christ. Third Edition. New York: Robert Carter, 1847.
Tobie, Willard Nathan. Studies in the Atonement. Cincinnati; New York: Jennings and Graham; Eaton and Mains, 1914.
Waldenström, P. The Reconciliation: Who Was to Be Reconciled? God or Man? Or God and Man?. Translated by J. G. Princell. Chicago: John Martenson, Publisher, 1888.
Weaver, J. Denny. The Nonviolent God. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2013.
Willson, James R., and Francis Turrettin. A Historical Sketch of Opinions on the Atonement, Interspersed with Biographical Notices of the Leading Doctors. Philadelphia: Edward Earle; William Fry, 1817.
Winslow, Octavius. Experimental and Practical Views of the Atonement. New York: John S. Taylor, 1838.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2015 2:13 AM

Rosie Perera:

erm... this?: https://www.logos.com/product/45868/the-nature-of-the-atonement-and-its-relation-to-remission-of-sins-and-eternal-life 

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 12:16 PM

NB.Mick:

Rosie Perera:

erm... this?: https://www.logos.com/product/45868/the-nature-of-the-atonement-and-its-relation-to-remission-of-sins-and-eternal-life 

Doh! And I even own it already. When did that happen? Embarrassed

Posts 617
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 4:06 AM

I've suggested Ronald S. Wallace's The Atoning Death of Christ, here. It's cited a couple of times by Stott in The Cross of Christ.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS