Reality Check? Installation Issues from DVD

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
William C Cole-French | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 23 2010 5:40 AM

New user of LOGOS and working in a location where internet downloading is particularly slow, and I pay by the megabyte - so I'm a bit surprised that despite purchasing and installing Logos 4 from DVD that I'm stuck downloading 2.7 GB of files. (It takes me about 5 hours and costs about $5US per GB.)

I'm sorry to be ignorant, but can I ask a few questions:

1. Why is it downloading such a large amount of files if I already installed from DVD?
  2. Why is the install location by default in the hidden directories of my user files? 
    Does this mean that another user on the computer will have to reinstall and redownload the files?
  3. What happens if and when my hard-drivecrashes?  How can I back up what I've downloaded to avoid this? or Is there anyway to get some sort of updated DVD to avoid this once this system gets a bit more stable?
  4. Is there anyway to get more information on what is being downloaded and to select the ones which are pertinent to us (as with Windows Update)?  For example, I would always choose to update my logos software, but I would probably forgo updating some of the books/resources.
  5. How do I install this software on my lap top without having to redownload everything?

I've already read the following posts:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/8301/65926.aspx#65926

And it sounds like my choices are:  update my software and resources or live with the fact that I have out of date

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/5371/41929.aspx#41929

And for the record, these are NOT small sized updates. 

Thanks for your patience and perspective.  I'm trying to learn the ropes here and a lot has seemingly changed since I last purchase this kind of software.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:05 AM

1) Logos has been updating book and media files fairly rapidly since Logos 4 came out. This is because the base program and the information is closely intertwined. Sometimes they change the architecture of the data to support new features. So, when Logos will download the most current version of your books unless you turn updates off.

2) The hidden location is to reinforce that the EULA of Logos is a one user license. If you need Logos in another user account you can share the resource folder and use the "scan C:\path\to\files" (without quotations and substitute path name) to get Logos to copy over book files from the first install.

3) Check out http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers It will give you some idea of how you can backup for a potential crash. Logos has also talked about producing DVDs more frequently for people on restricted/slow bandwidth. However, we haven't heard any more about this in a while and I suspect they are waiting till the flurry of updating slows down.

4) Currently there is no way to do this in the program. They've started posting announcements on the forum before program and resource updates. Otherwise you have to check the resource folder for what's new. A way to sort by "last updated" in the library is reported under development. Once again, sometimes they update books to support new features and not running the latest book files with the latest engine could cause instability.

5) Refer back to #3

It sounds like you need to turn off automatic updates in the program and check back to see if they have an update by DVD program in place.

Posts 5
William C Cole-French | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:20 AM

Kevin Becker:

2) The hidden location is to reinforce that the EULA of Logos is a one user license. If you need Logos in another user account you can share the resource folder and use the "scan C:\path\to\files" (without quotations and substitute path name) to get Logos to copy over book files from the first install.

Thanks, Kevin, for this informative answer. 

As a follow-up, can you please give me a specific example of the "scan" procedure.  I'm not very familiar with this sort of action.  Would I do this from a command prompt or something else?  (By the way, I'm running Windows Vista Business.)  ALSO, I set the install location to C:\logos4 in hopes of making it easier for my wife to access this program from her user account.  Would you happen to know if that will work or, alternately, create new problems?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:31 AM

William C Cole-French:

Thanks, Kevin, for this informative answer. 

As a follow-up, can you please give me a specific example of the "scan" procedure.  I'm not very familiar with this sort of action.  Would I do this from a command prompt or something else?  (By the way, I'm running Windows Vista Business.)  ALSO, I set the install location to C:\logos4 in hopes of making it easier for my wife to access this program from her user account.  Would you happen to know if that will work or, alternately, create new problems?

I've only installed Logos using the default settings so I don't know if this will cause new problems. Given your custom install location I would just make a shortcut to the Logos 4 application in your wife's user account. There could be sync problems if you have an instance running under your account and your wife is logged on too and using Logos. Make certain only one instance of the program is running at any one time. Also, since the new sync system doesn't allow for segregation of user created files you might want to preface all your user files with w: (or b: if you go by Bill) and she can do it with her initial too. Just so you know, here's the CEO's take on the single-user license and familial sharing http://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265

BTW, here's what the scan command will look like

If you run it, it will check that folder for Logos books ect and copy them into its directory. If giving your wife a shortcut to the Logos4 folder works, you won't need this command.

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:35 AM

Welcome William

I'll present answers in order.

William C Cole-French:
Why is it downloading such a large amount of files if I already installed from DVD?

The media/image files new to L4 are 1.7 GB and these were updated recently. The other 1 GB would be your resource updates. You can (later) check the size of your \resources folder and be satisfied that you would otherwise be downloading a lot more!

William C Cole-French:
Why is the install location by default in the hidden directories of my user files?

Does this mean that another user on the computer will have to reinstall and redownload the files?

The location is apparently consistent with Microsoft guidelines for compliant software. It is a per-user installation - it is not accessible to other user accounts on your computer. The software is licenced only for your personal use. See EULA at http://www.logos.com/ArticleViewer/2090

William C Cole-French:
What happens if and when my hard-drivecrashes?  How can I back up what I've downloaded to avoid this? or Is there anyway to get some sort of updated DVD to avoid this once this system gets a bit more stable?

EULA "You may either: - make one copy of the Software solely for backup or archival purposes, or - transfer the Software to a single hard disk, provided you keep the original solely for backup or archival purposes.".

In Explorer's Folder Options you have to enable the option to show hidden files and folders. The standard installation path is:-

XP -> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4

Vista/Win7 -> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Logos4

William C Cole-French:
Is there anyway to get more information on what is being downloaded and to select the ones which are pertinent to us (as with Windows Update)?  For example, I would always choose to update my logos software, but I would probably forgo updating some of the books/resources.

No. You may get information from the General forum if Logos continue to advise the content, else users will readily advertise what they have received.  You cannot choose what to update, but you can choose when to update via Tools | Program Settings - set Automatically Download Updates to NO. If two downloads occur over, say, 3 weeks and you refused the first your total download may be the sum of both, but it could be less if some resources were updated twice.

William C Cole-French:
How do I install this software on my lap top without having to redownload everything?

Choose Method 3 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers It will save downloading but you have to Index. This is the most reliable option.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2396
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:30 AM

I hope that in the future Logos will make the updates available on a dvd.  My main computer that I use for study is not connected to the internet so I am still running the original L4 release.  It work fine and I have had few problems, but I am there are updates that I would like to be able to get on that computer.

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 2:46 PM

If you have another computer that is connected to the internet then use its resource folder to update your offline computer. The basic procedure follows Method 3 above except for the installation steps and going offline ie.

* Start L4

* type scan <path to resources> in Command bar & hit Enter

* Restart L4              => copying & indexing should start

Where <path to resources> is the backup location of the other resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5
William C Cole-French | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:42 PM

Thanks again to all for these very practical and specific suggestions.  I appreciate the orientation to this new software greatly!

- William

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS