Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:19 AM

Please allow searching on Hebrew vowel points, cantillation marks, and patterns/combinations of these using wildcards. 

Just like "@" brings up the Morphology selection "dialogue", I suggest that typing "#" or "^" would bring up a "Nikkud" grid where te'amim & vowels would occupy the "Part of Speech" field. 
The vowels could be categorized according to length/family, while the te'amim would be divided by conjunctive and 4 levels of disjunctive force. 

This dialogue should be available in either Basic, Bible, or Morph searching. Combining Morph and Nikkud searches would be an AWESOME capability!

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE FOR THIS here.

P.S. If this was made available through Logos Now, I would subscribe NOW! Big Smile

Posts 25661
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 3:58 PM

I think we have got your message as it's been posted in two other forums! Please don't post it anymore.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 7:41 PM

I don't know what it is about you, Reuben, but you do bring out the best in other people!  ;)  I hope you end up getting what you're after.

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 10:02 PM

Dave Hooton:
...posted in two other forums! Please don't post it anymore.

Dave, I realize that some of the forum regulars probably follow a whole bunch of different forums, but I suspect that there are users who only follow one (or a certain few). I've posted to the three threads that I viewed as applicable/appropriate in the hopes of raising awareness among the appropriate user base. As you probably know I did not post in the mobile, beta, or other such forums. Is that you're fear when you request that I don't post it anymore, or are you asking me to refrain from posting in the current threads? If the former, you need not fear, I had no such intentions. If the latter, then I'm afraid I can't comply just yet, since there have been questions raised that I intend to answer.

Posts 28963
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 10:53 PM

It is generally considered bad form to post in multiple forums especially for those people who read the forums via RSS feeds.

You are requesting a feature that has been requested in the past and is a reasonable request that will serve the needs of one subgroup of users. It is appropriate to keep your request in the public eye and request uservoice votes, but it is more effective to space your posts out - 2 or 3 weeks apart - bombardment doesn't work - nagging does. [Ask Dan re: the NIB Wink]

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25661
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 5:12 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Is that you're fear when you request that I don't post it anymore, or are you asking me to refrain from posting in the current threads?

I meant not to propagate your message to other forums, and thank you for your assurance.

The best/most appropriate forum for this purpose is General (and your title was the most intriguing!) as that is the place for discussions as you had placed the suggestion on UserVoice before posting to the forums. The two other forums are for software issues to be raised. Even though the titles are different they could be considered duplicate threads and deleted...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1532
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 5:59 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Please allow searching on Hebrew vowel points, cantillation marks, and patterns/combinations of these using wildcards. 

As I can see it, it will take some time to implement that.

If you'll become a Bible translator in a place where there is no earlier translation, you'll probably start with the New Testament, thus there will be some years before you'll start the Old Testament translation, and by then they may have the feature you requested.

I support your suggestion, although I have to admit I often use the non-vowel or root search, available at least in LHI.

Some may prefer consonant-only Hebrew text, actually I don't know whether that option exists in Logos.

For the Greek I have my own font to get rid of the diacritics clutter, and also it gives an ancient look. It is a matter of taste, but I find it more readable

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3116
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 11:34 AM

Is there a Bible software that DOES offer these features?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 11:47 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Yes, Accordance does offer this. I believe Bible Works does as well, but haven't recently verified that. I am, however, very heavily invested in Logos and am a Logos fan (really!), and simply want to remove any and all motivation to go to A or B (both for myself, as well as for my colleagues). I've brought tens of thousands of $'s of revenue to Logos, and am super excited to see it improving and making massive advances in the last several years. My thought is that less focus should be given to "cool" things until the competition at least can't boast of greater abilities.

If Logos were to take my suggestion of implementing this with an interface like the Morph search, not only would they "catch up" to Accordance in terms of ability, they would surpass in ease of use! 

I LOVE LOGOS, and want to see it moving FORWARD!

!רק חזק

Posts 28963
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 1:28 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Logos in effect acknowledged this need when they added the MATCH options to the search as a partial solution.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1532
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 12:09 AM

In the business world it is normal to follow what competitors are doing, and then they implement it in their own software.

I assume that the competitors follow this forum and they pick and implement the best ideas first and then Logos implements them after seeing what the competitors have done.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4908
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 12:12 AM

Veli Voipio:

I assume that the competitors follow this forum and they pick and implement the best ideas first and then Logos implements them after seeing what the competitors have done.

LOL Big Smile

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 5:52 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
I believe Bible Works does as well, but haven't recently verified that.

Yes it does. The best implementation can be found in a free tool available here:

http://mgketer.org/NewUserEng.aspx

Reuben Helmuth:
and simply want to remove any and all motivation to go to A or B

This will never happen.

Reuben Helmuth:
My thought is that less focus should be given to "cool" things until the competition at least can't boast of greater abilities.

This actually allows everyone to flourish. I kind of like the fact that a nice family is able to create better software than this huge corporation... live and let live!

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 7:45 AM

David Knoll:
I kind of like the fact that a nice family is able to create better software than this huge corporation

While I believe that competition is a good thing and can help push companies to improve, I wanted to make it clear that I like Logos in spite of speaking up in favor of the competition. I guess I didn't relish getting my wrist smacked for breaking forum rules! Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS