Looking for resources on Islam

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 6:41 PM

Veli Voipio:

I came across this, it has good reviews, it is from IVP and available as Kindle, so I would think that publishing this could be relatively easy for Logos and there would be customers in line waiting for it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830856552/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3L5N2K64SOV9H&coliid=I15CT8B0V0K1B6 

Thanks Yes

Posts 3
Arthur Gregory | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 3:48 PM

"Muslim" is a very broad category, as is "Christian".  I lived with "Muslims" in Saudi Arabia for 25 years, working with people from Indonesia (largest Muslim population), India (second largest population), Pakistan, Egypt, China, the United States, and many others as well as the Saudis themselves. (There is also the Shia vs. Sunni issue, and idiosyncrasies of Sufis, Druze, Alawites, etc. etc.)  I have written about some of the differences in my experience, but Wikipedia is far more comprehensive.  (Broad categories can be very prejudicial.)  The bottom line is that Jesus died for each individual because of His great love, and I have found it helpful to approach each individual, with his or her own unique experience, as Paul and Peter and Jesus Himself, did.

Posts 962
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 5:01 PM

I'd like to point out a few resources not mentioned so far which I found helpful...

A Wind in the House of Islam by David Garrison (Very good book)

Islam in Context, Past, Present and Future by Riddell and Cotteral (This is very thorough and good academic level stuff but not hard to read.

Islam: A Catholic Perspective (Don't agree but it is a different Christian point of view.)

Journal of Biblical Apologetic Vols 1-9 ( These are highly polemic but contain very interesting material. )Seeing that people are saying how christian perspectives on Islam are not very helpful I would highly commend the Islam in Context book. I have found that knowledge of the Quran is helpful but I know a number of Muslims who have memorised the whole Quran but admit to knowing little of what it means. Some good quality humanities style research is very helpful and this book will better equip you to understand Islam and the different sects within it.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 5:46 PM

The Study Quran, a New Translation and Commentary- http://amzn.to/1mdysX9

Thread here- https://community.logos.com/forums/p/119475/784739.aspx

Uservoice here- http://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/11042880-the-study-quran-a-new-translation-and-commentary 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 5:02 AM

@book{littman2011arab,
  title={Arab Theologians on Jews and Israel: Extracts from the Proceedings of the Fourth Conference of the Academy of Islamic Research (September 1968)},
  author={Littman, D.G. and Reaboi, D.},
  isbn={9781461106678},
   year={2011},
  publisher={CreateSpace}
}

I have this in personal book form someplace or another... The SAHIH BUKHARI is also available as a PB. You might also find these in your library --

Caner, Emir F. “The Doctrine of Jihad in the Islamic Hadith.” Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 8, no. 1 (2004).

Cate, Patrick O. “Islamic Values and the Gospel.” Bibliotheca Sacra 155, no. 618 (1998).

Chad Owen Brand. “As Far as the East Is from the West: Islam, Holy War, and the Possibility of Rapprochement.” Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 8, no. 1 (2004).

Madany, Bassam M. “The Trinity and Christian Missions to Muslims.” Reformation and Revival 10, no. 3 (2001).

Schlorff, Samuel P. “Theological and Apologetical Dimensions of Muslim Evangelization.” Westminster Theological Journal 42, no. 2 (1979).

Shehadeh, Imad N. “The Predicament of Islamic Monotheism.” Bibliotheca Sacra 161, no. 642 (2004).

Staley, Kevin. “God and Allah: Are They the Same?” Christian Apologetics Journal 3, no. 1 (2004).

Non Logos, I would suggest --

Al-Bayhaqi. Allah's Names and Attributes. Translated by Gibril Fouad Haddad. Fenton, MI: As-Sunna Foundation of America, 1999.

Azhak, Anor. Distortion of Islam. Bloomington, IN: Tafford Publishing, 2009.

Hazrat Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmud Ahmad. Ahmadiyyat, or the True Islam. Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, n.d.

Robert Durie Osborne. Islam under the Khalifs of Bahgdad. 2007 Digital ed. London: Simmons & Botten, 1878. (should be available on archive.org)

William Gifford Palgrave. A Journey Through Central and Eastern Asia, 365-66. London: MacMillan and Company, 1865. (should be available on archive.org)

Zwemer, Samuel M. The Moslem Doctrine of God: An Essay on the Character and Attributes of Allah According to the Koran and Orthodox Tradition. NY: American Tract Society, 1905. (available on archive.org or google books for free)

There are a few others that I've found useful over the years; if I can find references, I'll post them here.

Posts 2289
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 9:18 AM

Jens Christensen, Mission to Islam and Beyond

http://www.answering-islam.org/Books/Christensen/christensen.pdf

Not available in Logos (but should be; it's an excellent book).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 11:37 AM

Russ White:
Zwemer, Samuel M.

The Works of Samuel M. Zwemer (18 vols.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 12:08 PM

I came across this book, bought it, and finally got it read.

It is up to date and I have had similar thoughts and experiences. Has a positive attitude throughout, and is evangelical.

Joyful Witness in the Muslim World (Mission in Global Community): Sharing the Gospel in Everyday Encounters (by Evelyne A. Reisacher, Scott Sunquist, Amos Yong)

https://vyrso.com/product/126054/joyful-witness-in-the-muslim-world-mission-in-global-community-sharing-the-gospel-in-everyday-encounters 

This is an old thread, but I thought it is easier to add here than start a new one.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 57
Paulo Bechara | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 9 2017 12:32 PM

Veli and Kevin,

Although not in Logos or Vyrso, this book would come to close to it:

Building Bridges: Christianity and Islam

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS