Adding a note to a word

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:13 AM

When you add a note to a word in a Bible verse, there are two ways you can do it. If you right click on the word, you get the following dialog:

If you select the word first, and then right click on the selection, you get the following dialog:

Can you see any difference in these dialogs? They seem to be doing the same thing, however, if you click Add a note to "My Notes" in each dialog, you get two different results. For the first one, where you have just right clicked on a word, the note becomes:

For the second one, when you have selected the word before right clicking on it, it becomes:

Is there a reason for the difference in the way this is handled?

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 6:20 AM

Interesting, the first example adds a note the verse without selecting reference in the right click menu. I tried this and noticed that the yellow box appeared in multiple Bibles. The second way actually attaches the note to the specific word in a specific version.

On one hand #1 allows you to make cross-bible references with fewer clicks, but on the other it is inconsistent with the UI...

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2010 4:06 PM

I've complained about his before too.  It's confusing.  I recall Bob saying they are considering changing the behaviour.

My name is Adam. I work at Faithlife with the software teams responsible for the Logos desktop and web apps.

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:42 PM

Gary O'Neal:
Can you see any difference in these dialogs? They seem to be doing the same thing, however, if you click Add a note to "My Notes" in each dialog, you get two different results. For the first one, where you have just right clicked on a word, the note becomes:

If there was no selection, doesn't it make sense that you aren't offered "selection" as an option? Therefore it isn't labeled or applied as a selection but rather is treated as a reference?  And in testing this, I found another bug. Thanks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 7:00 PM

MJ. Smith:
If there was no selection, doesn't it make sense that you aren't offered "selection" as an option?

But you are offered selection as an option as the top image shows. That's one of the things that causes the confusion.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS