A plea for better notetaking within L4

Page 2 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 12:16 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Logos would be fulfilling all my desires with a right click "send to onenote" that included the hyperlink! 

No thanks - One Note lacks the Bible specific features I need in notes and it undermines the integrated search/display of the Guides.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:25 PM

And yet lacking all of that, onenote is so much better for study and sermon prep now than notes are - which brings us to the original post.  

MJ. Smith:

Milford Charles Murray:
Logos would be fulfilling all my desires with a right click "send to onenote" that included the hyperlink! 

No thanks - One Note lacks the Bible specific features I need in notes and it undermines the integrated search/display of the Guides.

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 10:08 PM

Thought I'd repost what I posted elsewhere as I think it is appropriate here.

Personally after thinking this through I don't think better notetaking in L4 is the answer.  We need authoring capability within L4 as per my post below....

I am a new user to L4, and have found it frustrating that there is no way to copy/paste or print my note collections.

I downloaded/installed L3 and looked around and discovered several interesting things. 

1. Almost everything in the exegetical guide is available for copy/paste.
  2. Can copy/paste word by word analysis
  3. Note attachment is handled differently, by ref, and by selection and can be attached across versions of the bible. This sort of works in L4 but only if you don't select a word/verses first.

These are just a few things...

So I looked and compared to L4. In L4 MOST things are not available for copy/paste in the exeg/passage guides.  UNLESS you bring up the data in the other windows ie the info/comparison/commentary windows, then you can copy/paste most but not all info.

Anyway, just got me to thinking...  Wouldn't it be a better approach to allow L4 users to CREATE their own commentary files, topical word study files etc. just like the downloadable modules (lbxlls files)  we purchase from Logos.  Imagine the flexibility.  This would allow us to upload/publish our commentary files/topical studies and for others (bible study groups, colaborative authors etc.) to subscribe to our works.  It would even be possible to setup some security method for permissions for specific users/groups.

Best of all the code is already in place for accessing/indexing such works and displaying in L4.  Logos just needs to implement an authoring tool within L4. 

Anyway just thinking out loud...

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 10:33 PM

As much as I LOVE L4 - Note taking has been a HUGE disapointment.

Why is it so hard to add spell check? That is all I ask...PLEASE?

Smile

Posts 23
Mike Stokes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 9:52 AM

Nathan Barnes:
Anyway, just got me to thinking...  Wouldn't it be a better approach to allow L4 users to CREATE their own commentary files, topical word study files etc. just like the downloadable modules (lbxlls files)  we purchase from Logos.  Imagine the flexibility.  This would allow us to upload/publish our commentary files/topical studies and for others (bible study groups, colaborative authors etc.) to subscribe to our works.  It would even be possible to setup some security method for permissions for specific users/groups.

I would vote for this!

Posts 35
Lloyd Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 11:41 AM
Agreed, note taking is HUGELY important to get right...
Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 11:58 AM

I have another thread under User Authoring in L4 where I posted..

Being new to Logos I missed a "former" feature which I guess was in L3.  PBB I guess, is planned for later this year in L4.  I read the tutorial which is online here.  Looks interesting, but too unwieldy.

We already have an editor built-in to L4, just need to add the TAGS automatically as we are creating whatever file type we happen to be working on, ie commentary, topic, Bible etc.

Something similar must be going on now for note file creation already in the code.

So what happened to PBB in L3 anyway was it removed?

Posts 3663
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 12:07 PM

Nathan Barnes:

Anyway, just got me to thinking...  Wouldn't it be a better approach to allow L4 users to CREATE their own commentary files, topical word study files etc. just like the downloadable modules (lbxlls files)  we purchase from Logos. 

We'll have one as soon as they deliver the Son of the Return of the PBB Builder... Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 3:23 PM

Why is it so hard to get a response from Logos on this issue? I hear so many people complain about it!

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 3:55 PM

MarkStevens:
I hear so many people complain about it!

I have given up hope for adequate notes within Logos,  after approx 3-4 years of asking for improvements(since they were first changed from html to rtf), I reached point of surrender, and am now disallusioned, I am resigned to fact that the visionaries/designers/decision makers must hate notes, and not be note takers, or something would have been done to redeem the situation years ago..

I love the program and was hopeful for v4 to redeem itself in this area, even while participating in closed beta, but am sadly resigned to fact notes in program will never(excepting act of God) be of a adequte standard, it is and always has been Logos's achilles heel IMO.

For me, there is a slim chance that the new PBB will beable to the saving grace and rescue the situation for me, at least thats what I am praying for..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 4:52 PM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
Instead, what I want is better integration with existing apps, such as OneNote.

I concur.  Having the ability to use the best software available, be it OneNote or other tool, seems more important and achievable than creating an entire note taking application.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 5:39 PM

MarkStevens:

Why is it so hard to get a response from Logos on this issue? I hear so many people complain about it!

I've wondered the same, but I guess it is because it has been discussed...  The answer being they are NOT going to enhance notes for us...  I figured that by now with all the posts about the need they would have changed their minds.  I know they have to focus on what they deem the most important, as they are limited in human resources...  Maybe after they roll out all the promised up-grades they will consider it... (which means at least a year from now)

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:07 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:
The answer being they are NOT going to enhance notes for us.

Perhaps the way to get the decision makers' attention is to post image of notes we have in L3 that are not supported in L4. I still firmly believe that movement will come when Logos' recognizes the graphic nature of contemporary note taking styles and understand how we actually use notes.

Note: I gave references to note taking on the thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9360/82519.aspx#82519

I will admit, however, that the number of long notes is partially a result of not yet having PBB's or sermons. However, given the power of My Content and Favorites I am not willing to give up on this issue.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:22 PM

Note: on another thread Logos has said that a future release will include better chart/table handling etc. Not everything but another good step.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:13 PM

MJ. Smith:

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:
The answer being they are NOT going to enhance notes for us.

Perhaps the way to get the decision makers' attention is to post image of notes we have in L3 that are not supported in L4. I still firmly believe that movement will come when Logos' recognizes the graphic nature of contemporary note taking styles and understand how we actually use notes.

Note: I gave references to note taking on the thread http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9360/82519.aspx#82519

I will admit, however, that the number of long notes is partially a result of not yet having PBB's or sermons. However, given the power of My Content and Favorites I am not willing to give up on this issue.

I supplied several note files of different types to show how I used notes.  These clearly showed that I used them to link from within a note to other resources yet this has not been implemented.  I would also like to see the ability to link from one note file to another note file which may contain an excursus on a subject.  Footnoting in notes would also be desirable.  I said it before and repeat again that, until and unless the morph search is improved and notes are brought at least up to the level ov L3, L4 will be nothing more than a reading platform.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1404
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:16 PM

Doug:
Please consider this plea.

I support the plea also Yes

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:27 PM

I too support the idea of better note taking.  Does anyone else have a problem with the note files freezing up whenever you go to add something or search through the notes.  I have a fairly fast computer that I bought so I could use logos better, but it still leaves me pretty disappointed.

Posts 269
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:49 PM

I wonder what it would take for Logos to partner with Microsoft to create a special version of OneNote that integrates into Logos 4, with all the linking and search capabilities that everyone wants. 

Of course I'm envisioning a Logos add-in resource that would be available to purchase.

Not sure if it's "do-able" but it would be cool.  No?

Posts 33
M.J. Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:33 PM

Yes I support this plea and I've not even used Logos 4 yet. See I'm a Mac user which means we still don't have access unless you have the time/technical expertise to try the beta.  I don't. When I do get it I hope the note taking feature actually works but it probably won't.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:58 PM

Stein Dahl:
I wonder what it would take for Logos to partner with Microsoft t

I think it involves signing a document in blood and turning over ones soul...

Page 2 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS