Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics (13 vols.) (over 10,000 pages)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 28 2015 3:29 PM

Just thought I should remind everyone potentially interested that this 13 volume Encyclopedia is closing this Friday in Community Pricing and is currently listed as going for $30 USD (with an intended regular price of almost $350 USD.  It will likely be available very quickly as it downloaded last Sunday to those who had purchased it as part of the Diamond or Portfolio Base Packages.

You may want to take a look to see if you might benefit from having this resource in your library, while it is still over 90% off.   The original volumes were published between 1908 and 1926, corrections have been added to 1976 and this version is from the 1994 reprint by Scribner's/ T&T Clark.

https://www.logos.com/product/8495/encyclopaedia-of-religion-and-ethics

Scope of the Encyclopædia

The words ‘Religion’ and ‘Ethics’ are both used in their most comprehensive meaning, as the contents of this work will show. The Encyclopædia contains articles on all the Religions of the world and on all the great systems of Ethics. It contains articles on every religious belief or custom, and on every ethical movement, every philosophical idea, every moral practice. Such persons and places as are famous in the history of religion and morals are included. The Encyclopædia  thus embraces the whole range of Theology and Philosophy, together with the relevant portions of Anthropology, Mythology, Folklore, Biology, Psychology, Economics, and Sociology. It is a wide field, but its limits are clearly defined.

1. The articles are written by those who have made a special study of their subject, and are recognized as most competent to write upon it. Attention is given to grace of style, so that the articles may be read with pleasure as well as relied upon for accuracy and insight.

2. The articles are full enough to give the reader a good working acquaintance with their subject; and to each article is added a select bibliography for the use of those who wish to pursue the subject further.

3. The range of the Encyclopædia is well defined. Religion and Ethics can no longer be studied separately with any profit. They are accordingly dealt with together; but each topic, whether religious or ethical, or both, will be found under its own appropriate title. The Encyclopædia will contain an account of all beliefs and customs which belong to Religion or Ethics throughout the world. It will also contain articles on the religions themselves, or on the nations professing them. And when a belief or custom belongs to more religions than one, or is found in more than one place, it will often be described in a series of articles, each article being written by a scholar of the particular religion or country.

4. Much attention is given to social topics which have an ethical or religious aspect.

5. The Encyclopædia includes some account of such persons and places as are important in the history of Religion and Ethics.

Posts 790
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder, David. This is another one of those resources that have me sitting on the fence. It's certainly a lot of stuff, but if I went to a yard sale with a traditional set of books from the early 1900s staring me in the face for even $1.00 a volume, I'd turn it down because of how dated the material is. (I know; this is a Logos resource, but that's not my point right now.) I read a sample from an article on "poverty" and references were made to certain contemporary economic conditions and some legislation relevant back then. On the other hand, some of the other material is as timely as it is detailed.

O, for book-buying decisiveness!

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:49 PM

Might be worth you picking up a set and checking it more thoroughly within the, what is it, "30 day" return window of opportunity ?

Like many resources of that vintage, some articles will be of historic interest only while others with be sufficient for current use as they stand.

I also have a problem with vintage traditional books unless of very special interest: those traditional books have the habit of demanding lots of additional shelf space !!

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:00 PM

I wonder how well it will be tagged, or being a public domain resource will tagging be minimal?

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:30 PM

Seems to be reasonably well tagged: the section on Adultery (Jewish) shows multiple tags not only to the expected OT material but also to Mishna and the equivalent Adultery (Muslim) section has the Qu'ran and  Surah references tagged.  Christianity and the civil law has references to Historis Ecclesiastics, which bring up the appropriate sections of LLS:EUSECCHIST03 A History of the Church in Seven Books , so I expect most of the other entries will be similarly linked where needed.

On the other side. Adultery (Parsi) is not tagged to Yasna/Yasht or Daṭīstān-ī-Dēnīg references, but I think those have yet to see the light of day in Logos form....

Adultery (Roman) is well tagged to Dionysius, Suetonius, Pliny, Horace, Tacitus etc which are available in Logos, but there are other references in this section that are not tagged.

As with many volume sets of this magnitude we can expect tagging will gradually get improved, but from what I see I think this is already off to a good start.

Posts 790
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:32 PM

David J. Wilson:

Might be worth you picking up a set and checking it more thoroughly within the, what is it, "30 day" return window of opportunity ?

Now that's a good thought! Thanks.

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:26 AM

Smile

Posts 3
RGP | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:02 PM

Hi David,

Are you able to search this encyclopaedia by using large or heading text ?  

Rob.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 8:07 AM

RGP:
Are you able to search this encyclopaedia by using large or heading text ?  

Yes is the belated answer:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS