[resolved] Labels and tags

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Paulo Steiner Dorta | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 4 2015 7:32 AM

Hey there...

I've read a few threads here on these topics, but haven't found any satisfactory answer, so I decided to go ahead and try for myself.

First, about tags. I've noticed that every time I add a note, this field appears down below "add a tag". So, would someone explain to me:

1. What are tags for? I mean, what's the point of them?
  2. Are they searchable?

Secondly, about labels. I've watched the Logos tutorial, but it was no help to me. In my Highlighting Palettes, there was no palette named "labels" as shown in the tutorial. So I went ahead an created one. I set it up exactly as taught. But then, I tried labelling a note.

The labels I had formerly created just won't appear there! Instead, it seems that when trying to enter a value there it creates a new label entry. This label will appear on the bottom right above "tags". Why doesn't it "see" the labels I already created? And where does it save the labels I create from there?

I just wanted to have a way to "tag" my notes on a common topic, to be able to find them later, with no hassle. But that seems pretty complicated to me right now. It's much confusing.

Before coming to Logos, I'd been using the Olive Tree Bible software. It was pretty limited, didn't have so many resources as Logos does. But now, I miss the simplicity of creating notes and labeling them. It just worked.

Maybe someone can help me sort that out.

Thank you!

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 10:38 AM

Paulo Steiner Dorta:

Hey there...

I've read a few threads here on these topics, but haven't found any satisfactory answer, so I decided to go ahead and try for myself.

First, about tags. I've noticed that every time I add a note, this field appears down below "add a tag". So, would someone explain to me:

1. What are tags for? I mean, what's the point of them?
  2. Are they searchable?

As for the labels I am not really clear about what you are trying to do. The labels you create in the highlighting tool are intended to be used for the text of a resource not the note file.

I apologize if I am confused about what you are trying to do

Tags are basically keywords (or values) you can assign to the note. They are searchable. To see how this works,

Enter a few tags in some note files

In Basic search enter mytag:tag word or value

The search should return all of the notes and other documents you have tagged with that word or value

Posts 26954
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 3:03 PM

Paulo Steiner Dorta:
Secondly, about labels. I've watched the Logos tutorial, but it was no help to me. In my Highlighting Palettes, there was no palette named "labels" as shown in the tutorial. So I went ahead an created one. I set it up exactly as taught. But then, I tried labelling a note.

You associate labels with a Highlighting style (Tools >> Highlighting). So first you create a Palette and then you add styles e.g. typo

Then you add a label via Labelling

When you highlight some text you will be asked to provide values/attributes for the label, and this will then be visible in the note file.

You can search for labels as per the wiki - results are found in the resource you highlighted, unlike searching for tags.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Paulo Steiner Dorta | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 1:39 PM

Ah, ok guys.. This has helped me to start figuring it out.

It appears then that tags are for notes whereas labels are for text, right? I'm guessing labels can't be associated to notes existing in other documents, considering that by creating a new "palette" for labels, it will also create a new corresponding document.

Is there any way I can see all the tags I have created? I wish there was a way to just see a list of them, and then choose whichever I needed, instead of entering a command line in the search field.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 1:58 PM

Labels are for both text and notes. However the labels you create in the highlighting palette are used for marking text in a resource. The labels you create in a note file is additional information about that note. For example, the screen shot below shows a note I created and labeled for Rev. 22:1-5

Notice the Label Name = New Heaven New Earth

The Attributes = Objects, People, and Action

The Values = River, God, worship

This label is a way of providing additional information in the note file that can be searched later.

Posts 26954
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 4:43 PM

Paulo Steiner Dorta:
It appears then that tags are for notes whereas labels are for text, right? I'm guessing labels can't be associated to notes existing in other documents, considering that by creating a new "palette" for labels, it will also create a new corresponding document.

You don't need to create a palette for labels - you can create a style (within a palette) for labels or add labels to an existing style. When you highlight text from a style the destination note file depends on the Palette "Save in:" option, and any label will be shown in the Note file. You can also add labels to any note/highlight in a note file, but it will only appear in the text for a highlight or a note by selection (and not for a note by reference). You can search for a label in the note file (Your Documents, Basic Search) or a resource.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 14
Michael Dunlop | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 10:55 AM

The ability to see a list of tags created and to simply click on them would be fantastic. I too came from OliveTree and their system worked really well. I was a huge proponent of tags on here before L6 was released, and it's one of the main reasons I updated. But now that I updated I don't even use them.... Not well implemented at all. I also hate that previously created tags aren't suggested as you type. I honestly feel like Faithlife doesn't understand the concept of tags. Please Logos, spend a few minutes in OliveTree, Evernote, the Mac Finder, or literally any other piece of software which uses tagging. It's an incredibly helpful tool if rightly implemented. 

Posts 4
Aimee Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 8:53 AM

Much easier if you just add "Tags" or "My Tags"  to the list of tabs, so we don't have to remember or search over and over for how to search for tags in the fist place. And when clicking on "Tags," have a list of tag names we've created appear, so we don't have to search our memories for tag names we've used.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS