Suggestion: How to Read The Bible: A guide to Scripture Then and Now - James Kugel

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 18 2015 5:18 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Read-Bible-Guide-Scripture/dp/0743235878

This is a 700 page scholarly reference work.  James Kugel was a Harvard Professor and Orthodox Jew who (at least if the Amazon reviews are correct) takes seriously the ancient and modern methods of interpreting the text and attempts to respect the assumptions of the ancients whilst appreciating the critique of modern scholars, particularly on questions of historicity.  I haven't read it myself (would rather purchase in Logos than on Amazon), but the reviews everywhere seem to think it's an exciting page-turner.  

Whilst investigating the contents, I also came across Traditions of the Bible: A Guide to the Bible As It Was at the Start of the Common Eraalso by James Kugel, this time 1080 pages.  

I was surprised not to find either work in Logos thus far.

Posts 1475
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 10:18 AM

Yes. Kugel's been suggested before, but we need Kugel!

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 2:20 AM

Ben:

Yes. Kugel's been suggested before, but we need Kugel!

It would be really useful if there was a list that tracked the suggestions.  I started work on this, but most people felt it would be too much work to keep it up to date.

Posts 561
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 21 2018 4:53 PM

This is still deeply needed. I give it a hearty Yes

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS