[resolved] Design flaw: Highlighting in books with very long names messes up the Visual Filter menu

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 27 2015 4:15 PM

When using the new "Resource-specific notes file" option, resources with very long names messes up the Visual Filter menu:

Posts 1881
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 4:21 PM

So, the design flaw could be in how Logos names "resource-specific" files or it could be in that the visual filter menu should truncate names after so many characters. Or both?

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 4:24 PM

I think it would be better to keep the long names in the document name, but truncate it in the menu. If you truncated the document name you could end up with difficulties with resources like this both ending up with the same name

• This is a really long resource name: And it has a really long subtitle too (Volume 1)
  • This is a really long resource name: And it has a really long subtitle too (Volume 2)
Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 6:03 PM

Mark Barnes:
I think it would be better to keep the long names in the document name, but truncate it in the menu.

+1... although I think you should be able to hover for the long name.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 6:06 PM

Mark - How has this been implemented? Does L6 auto generate the name? Can you change it?

Posts 26502
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 6:08 PM

alabama24:
+1... although I think you should be able to hover for the long name.

It does that in the Documents menu, so the behaviour should be consistent.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 12:26 AM

alabama24:
Mark - How has this been implemented? Does L6 auto generate the name?

L6 autogenerates the name, the same as it does for Palette-specific documents.

If you rename the document (or indeed, if you rename the resource), then Logos will create a new document with an identical name to the resource.

Posts 1881
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 3:53 AM

Mark Barnes:
If you rename the document (or indeed, if you rename the resource), then Logos will create a new document with an identical name to the resource.

And, if you already have a document for highlighting for a specific resource, you can rename it to be the exact name for the resource and Logos will use that document for highlighting.

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 5:09 AM

Has anyone checked to see what happens when two books have identical names?

Posts 1881
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 5:30 AM

alabama24:
Has anyone checked to see what happens when two books have identical names?

Just tried it—they use the same document for highlighting, which is what I expected it to do.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 7:51 AM

Mark Barnes:

When using the new "Resource-specific notes file" option, resources with very long names messes up the Visual Filter menu:

I've made a case for this.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 8:31 AM

Dylan Rondeau:
I've made a case for this.

Can you make a case for the other as well? Resource specific note files must be RESOURCE specific, irregardless of the book's title.

Posts 9056
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 12:57 PM

alabama24:

Can you make a case for the other as well? Resource specific note files must be RESOURCE specific, irregardless of the book's title.

This is a known issue that probably won't be fixed in this release. You can work around it by renaming the resource to have a unique title (e.g., add the author's name in parentheses).

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 1:30 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
This is a known issue that probably won't be fixed in this release.

Ok, but when? Do you have a plan? I don't want to spend hours migrating highlights to discover that 1) they get lost because of a bad migration or 2) I am stuck with cross contaminated note file.

Posts 9056
LogosEmployee

In 6.4, notes documents will be linked to resources by their titles. (If a Notes Document has the exact same title as a resource, it will be the "resource-specific notes file".)

Posts 1881
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 2:57 PM

alabama24:
I don't want to spend hours migrating highlights to discover that 1) they get lost because of a bad migration or 2) I am stuck with cross contaminated note file.

How were you thinking of migrating? The way that I migrated my highlighting files was by copying the name from the resource info window and renaming my note-file for a resource with that name. If another note-file already has the same name, it will add (2) after it, so I don't think you could get a cross-contaminated note file by migrating in this way.

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 4:51 PM

Above, you wrote that two books with the same name would share a note document. Did I misunderstand?

Posts 31861
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 5:01 PM

alabama24:

Above, you wrote that two books with the same name would share a note document. Did I misunderstand?

I would have expected something similar to the resource id qualifier (or author or original publication date or ...)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1881
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 6:05 PM

alabama24:

Correct, if you let Logos auto-create the notes by highlighting text for the first time in a resource.

However, if you migrate your OLD highlighting notes-file in the way I described, it is impossible to have two identically named note-files because you Logos will add (2) after the name of the second note-file.

It's two different situations.

Again, how were you thinking of migrating your old highlighting note-files to the new system?

Posts 29209
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 6:12 PM

Integ:
It's two different situations.

I see what you are saying, and it helps ease my fears over ONE problem, but not the other... which is really what I am getting at. For clarification:

1. You are saying that I can take my old documents, rename them, and end up with "Book Title" and "Book Title (2)." Good and fine... but...
  2. The first time I add a highlight to what SHOULD go into "Book Title (2)," the highlight will instead go into "Book Title." Right?

This implementation was very poorly thought out. 

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS