Mac OS X El Capitan

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 8 2015 10:32 AM

As I am sitting here watching the WWDC on my AppleTV, I thought I would preempt some of the "Is L6 ready to run on El Capitan (the new version of OS X)?"

The answer is always something along the lines of "Faithlife doesn't support Logos on pre-release operating systems." For the adventurous, we would love to hear your experiences when El Capitan becomes available as a public beta, but as with all beta warnings, make sure you aren't using a production system (i.e. one you can't afford to be without for a period of time). Also, it is generally advised that you take a "wait and see" approach when the new OS does release. 

With that aside: What El Capitan features are you most looking forward to? Which ones do you want to see compatible with Logos?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2201
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 12:48 PM

I saw something about split screen which sounds real good. Not sure how that is in practice but I really like the idea.

The other thing is that there are supposed to be performance improvements which surely will be welcome for those of us who aren't about to buy a new computer any time soon.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1544
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 12:49 PM

I would like to see Logos tap into the speed improvements of El Captian! Big Smile

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 1:02 PM

mab:
I saw something about split screen which sounds real good. Not sure how that is in practice but I really like the idea.

This will be good for users who love full screen mode, but want to have a separate notes or writing app open at the same time.

Posts 6477
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 1:24 PM

Looks interesting. The os war is heating up. Microsoft is getting the jump start by launching in July.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 1:53 PM

alabama24:
but as with all beta warnings, make sure you aren't using a production system (i.e. one you can't afford to be without for a period of time).

Good advice from "alabama24".  Here's what I do when testing a new version of OS X:  I clone my system to a large enough external hard drive using software such as "Carbon Copy Cloner" or "SuperDuper" which will render the external hard drive bootable.  I then download the beta to that hard drive and boot from it.  That allows separation from your main system and does not require an additional Mac.  I'm currently testing Mac Office 2016 using that method.  Works well and does not endanger your primary working Mac.

alabama24:
The answer is always something along the lines of "Faithlife doesn't support Logos on pre-release operating systems.

That goes without saying, however, it would be nice if FaithLife concentrate on getting Logos 6 working right with Yosemite before worrying about El Capitan.  Wink

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 2201
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 4:09 PM

alabama24:

mab:

This will be good for users who love full screen mode, but want to have a separate notes or writing app open at the same time.

That's perfect for me. I'll be chomping at the bit for this OS! Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2655
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 10:46 AM

All I did was launch Logos 6 beta and it ran the same on 10.10 and 10.11. No noticeable difference. The Word 2016 Preview does not run well. Change text in any way other than plain vanilla and the page turned black so I'm back to using Pages until that gets fixed. If I see a problem I'll post for anyone who might want to try out the public beta coming next month.

Posts 2655
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 10:50 AM

mab:
I'll be chomping at the bit for this OS! Geeked

I'd temper your expectations. The new features are minimal. El Capitan is a part of Yosemite and 10.11 is an extremely minor update to 10.10.

The speed increases are almost exclusively for programs that tap into the GPU rendering system. Not sure if Logos does or not.

On the iOS 9 side, being able to pin Logos to the edge and run mobile Word or Pages while I write my sermon will be nice.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 11:04 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I'd temper your expectations. The new features are minimal. El Capitan is a part of Yosemite and 10.11 is an extremely minor update to 10.10.

I think the name is stupid. I will have to come up with some other way of referring to it... I guess 10.11. 

In the defense of the update, however... "Snow Leopard" was a similar release (mostly under the hood), but a great release. I love change, but sometimes it is good to catch your breath! Smile

Posts 1520
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 11:38 AM

I am enjoying the "hide the menubar" feature. It's nice to gain any real estate on a 13" macbook. But mostly, I am looking forward to 10.11 being like Snow Leopard—a bug fix and performance focused release. 

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 8:21 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
The Word 2016 Preview does not run well. Change text in any way other than plain vanilla and the page turned black so I'm back to using Pages until that gets fixed.

I've been running the Mac 2016 Preview and have not experienced any glitches.  I don't particularly like the new look MS has given it but it runs well with Yosemite 10.10.3 and Logos 6.  No way that I will ever use Pages for sermon prep.  Surprise

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 2201
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 8:35 PM

One of the under the hood changes will be improved WiFi. Apple is ditching their clunker discoveryd and going back to what works. We should see it as soon as the latest iteration of Yosemite gets pushed out the door. It'll be in iOs 9 too.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 3:52 AM

Charles:

I've been running the Mac 2016 Preview and have not experienced any glitches.  I don't particularly like the new look MS has given it but it runs well with Yosemite 10.10.3 and Logos 6.

i <think> Kevin was implying Mac 2016 preview running on El Capitan, not Yosemite. 

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 12:47 PM

alabama24:
i <think> Kevin was implying Mac 2016 preview running on El Capitan, not Yosemite. 

Thanks.  I see that Kevin is currently beta testing "El Capitan".  Hopefully, Mac Office 2016 will eventually run as well there as it does with Yosemite.

In Christ,

Charles 

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 1:23 PM

Charles:
Hopefully, Mac Office 2016 will eventually run as well there as it does with Yosemite.

I'm sure it will by launch time.

Posts 2655
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:28 PM

Indeed I was referring to Word 2016 Preview running on 10.11 EC

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:36 PM

Kevin - Users can paste into Word 2011 (Mac) and have the bibliographic info auto inserted as a footnote. Is that true for 2016 as well?

Posts 1
CH (MAJ) Andrew Calvert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 7:09 AM

Logos will not open in El Capitan. Crashes before it loads. Here is the details:

/ removed verbose Apple logs /

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2015 12:51 PM

CH (CPT) Andrew Calvert:
Logos will not open in El Capitan. Crashes before it loads. Here is the details:

It is a (now) known issue that Logos doesnt run on El Capitan. If you need to use logos on that computer, you have two choices: Wait until an "El Capitan" compatible version is made available (on beta first, then stable), or to reinstall yosemite on your computer. Neither option is a good one. Tongue Tied

As a reminder to you and others who might read this later: Faithlife does not support their applications running on beta operating systems. In other words, you are "on your own." 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS