Dear Logos re: Libronix features

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33739
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 24 2015 5:40 PM

Note: I am not one who held on to "Libby" - I quickly moved to Logos 4 and considered it a major improvement. However, recent events of brought to mind some of the losses from that upgrade:

• regular expression support in Search
  • "fuzzy" /visual search
  • verb river
  • autoload of sermons into sermons.logos.com
  • ability to create one's own timelines
  • fixed names on PB's so that one could create and share an index for multi-part PB's
  • the Lesson Builder program

Some of these features were essentially "before their time" so that users did not use them effectively, or they had minor flaws in implementation that needed to be resolved to be truly useful, or were never "official" so that Logos did not understand how useful they were to users.

I'd like to suggest that Logos revisit each of these features (and any others that others remember) and verify that the need fulfilled by the original idea is being met in the current software. I don't want Logos dropping useful features because (a) users didn't understand how to use them or (b) because the implementation was flawed although the feature concept was solid.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 705
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2015 6:01 PM

Great Suggestion MJ! I'd personally add the return of the original Sermon File Add-In, the current work around via PBB fails badly in comparison.

Posts 525
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2015 9:08 PM

Frank Sauer:

Great Suggestion MJ! I'd personally add the return of the original Sermon File Add-In, the current work around via PBB fails badly in comparison.

Yes. I agree with MJ in all regards. I also kept Libronix just to use some of these features MJ refers to. Also, I agree with Frank. The sermon builder in Libronix was way superior to the current one.

Posts 941
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 4:23 AM

MJ. Smith:

I'd like to suggest that Logos revisit each of these features (and any others that others remember) and verify that the need fulfilled by the original idea is being met in the current software. I don't want Logos dropping useful features because (a) users didn't understand how to use them or (b) because the implementation was flawed although the feature concept was solid.

Yes

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 4:33 AM

What feature is this?

fixed names on PB's so that one could create and share an index for multi-part PB's 

Posts 33739
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 1:12 PM

In L3, the name of the shared PB was fixed. This meant that I could incrementally release segments of my creed collection, but provide an index that contained them all. Creating and organizing a large collection of creeds has proved problematic in L4-6. If I create a composite document in Word which is necessary to keep the .docx file manageable, the .docx file does not work in the PB compiler. If I split into a small number of files and combine them via the compiler, there is no way to build an appropriate index.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9667
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 5:12 PM

MJ. Smith:
I'd like to suggest that Logos revisit each of these features (and any others that others remember) and verify that the need fulfilled by the original idea is being met in the current software.

I have often wondered why some of these features were dropped in the first place.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 6:01 PM

Fuzzy search is the one I miss the most.

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:38 PM

MJ. Smith:
autoload of sermons into sermons.logos.com

Yes please! I really miss this...

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 525
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:54 PM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, I actually forgot about this one since it is not in Logos4/5/6. I used it a lot in Libronix. I also vote to have it again.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2015 1:13 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

Rosie Perera:

Rosie, I actually forgot about this one since it is not in Logos4/5/6. I used it a lot in Libronix. I also vote to have it again.

Go vote for it on UserVoice if you haven't yet.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/510241-bring-back-topic-search-and-fuzzy-search 

In 2011, Bob Pritchett posted a comment on that suggestion: "We anticipate bringing back fuzzy search as well. I’m sorry, but no date is available yet." Well, come on. "No date" shouldn't mean pushed off indefinitely. Four years is long enough to wait. I hope it is something they are actually working on already.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2015 8:20 AM

A bit on a (related) tangent, those who still use Libronix must be quite glad they actually own it and did not just subscribe to it (if it had been an available option to indulge a bit of a back to the future scenario). Is there any reason not to think that other features that some people appreciate could not be abandoned in the future? Just one more factor in the decision-making process...

Posts 525
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2015 8:35 AM

Rosie Perera:

Sarel Slabbert:

Rosie Perera:

Go vote for it on UserVoice if you haven't yet.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/510241-bring-back-topic-search-and-fuzzy-search 

In 2011, Bob Pritchett posted a comment on that suggestion: "We anticipate bringing back fuzzy search as well. I’m sorry, but no date is available yet." Well, come on. "No date" shouldn't mean pushed off indefinitely. Four years is long enough to wait. I hope it is something they are actually working on already.

VOTED!!!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 2:52 PM

Here's another Libronix feature that's no longer in Logos, from an old thread that someone just resurrected:

• Remote Library Search

I'd forgotten about that one.

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 5:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

Note: I am not one who held on to "Libby" - I quickly moved to Logos 4 and considered it a major improvement. However, recent events of brought to mind some of the losses from that upgrade:

• regular expression support in Search
  • "fuzzy" /visual search
  • verb river
  • autoload of sermons into sermons.logos.com
  • ability to create one's own timelines
  • fixed names on PB's so that one could create and share an index for multi-part PB's
  • the Lesson Builder program

Some of these features were essentially "before their time" so that users did not use them effectively, or they had minor flaws in implementation that needed to be resolved to be truly useful, or were never "official" so that Logos did not understand how useful they were to users.

I know this is an old thread, but these "losses" are something that's been nagging at me for a while.  I thought we were never suppose to lose features that we paid for in the past when we purchased prior versions.  Is that not correct?  Does that only apply to resources and not to features/functionality?

Posts 12147
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 14 2016 11:32 PM

Rick,

this promise, as far as I recall, only ever was made for resources, not functionality.

However, one needs to take into account that the switchover from Libronix to Logos 4 was a full rewrite of the whole program (from the most basic display functionality upwards), which is something that hasn't happened in all releases since then and is not likely to occur soon. The current philosophy with small incremental changes being released via the Logos Now membership subscription further reduces the chance of major disruptions in functionality.    

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 15 2016 3:59 PM

NB.Mick:

Rick,

this promise, as far as I recall, only ever was made for resources, not functionality.

However, one needs to take into account that the switchover from Libronix to Logos 4 was a full rewrite of the whole program (from the most basic display functionality upwards), which is something that hasn't happened in all releases since then and is not likely to occur soon. The current philosophy with small incremental changes being released via the Logos Now membership subscription further reduces the chance of major disruptions in functionality.    

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS