Highlighting across multiple monitors

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 30 2010 2:43 PM

I think I've found an undesirable complication in highlighting when using multiple monitors; if the highlighting tool is resident in a window of a different monitor than the resource you want to highlight is in, then it can be a challenge to use highlighting unless you float the highlighting window or dock it in the monitor you want to work in. 

For example, I have a book open in monitor #4 with some highlighting in it.  I've got the highlighting tool open & docked in a window in monitor #3.  If I drag my mouse over the text that I want to remove highlighting from, then select "Erase" from the highlighting menu, nothing happens.  If I Crtl-K, then (usually) it will apply the last highlighting that I'd been using. If I select a different type of highlighting, it will apply that correctly, although there is a slight delay.  I've tried various things to try to leave the focus of the resource that I want highlighted when I click on highlighting in the tool (docked in a different monitor), but that often doesn't work.

A big gotcha is that if I left something highlighted (i.e., i'd dragged my mouse over it) in a different monitor, it will be changed/too...for a while I couldn't figure out why my other resources were changing.

My workaround is to dock the highlighting tab in the monitor that I'm working in...and try to remember to not leave text "moused over" in windows of other monitors.

I am running 4.0a SR-3 on Vista64.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 8:47 PM

Ward, I (use 2 monitors), and was under the impression that the highlighting tool had to actually be "inside" the floating window that you were highlighting or un-highlighting.

Or have I misunderstood?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 3:40 AM

I believe SteveF has the right idea.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 6:09 AM

SteveF:

...the highlighting tool had to actually be "inside" the floating window that you were highlighting or un-highlighting.

It doesn't have to be, but it will work much better that way.

I just desire to be able to dock that tool to one place on one monitor, then leverage it from there, regardless of what monitor/window I want to use...

...but unless the program functionality changes, that approach doesn't work well.

Perhaps it is a programmatic complication with figuring out which window on which monitor last had focus.

Posts 2927
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 9:03 AM

I use multiple monitors and have found that it is an annoyance as well. In case you weren't aware, if you are highlighting with the same style over and over again, you can simply use CTRL-K after you select the text to apply it. That is a very nice feature. I have heard rumors as well that we will be able to select keyboard shortcuts to apply certain highlighting styles. Those are good fixes to this annoyance of having to move your mouse across one screen and onto another to highlight.

An additional fix that I would really like to see would be being able to put highlighting styles into a submenu on the right-click menu. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2927
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 9:04 AM

Ward Walker:

My workaround is to dock the highlighting tab in the monitor that I'm working in...and try to remember to not leave text "moused over" in windows of other monitors.

You can also float the highlighting window and move to free space on the monitor you're working on

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 6:58 PM

As an update of additional information, I noticed tonight while battling using the highlighting tool between monitors that it works as expected if I am shifting between types of highlighting...but not if I try to re-apply the type of highlighting that I last used. 

For clarity, I am soley referring to "mousing up" text in one window, then going over to the highlighting tool in another window on a different monitor and clicking on a type of highlighting.  If that type was just used previously in the document, nothing happens.  If that type is a change from what was just used previously, then it is applied.

I can of course just use CTRL-K, but I tend to forget about that/lose track of what highligher I'm using.

Hopefully this aberrant behavior gets fixed before 4.0b rolls out.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS