Genitive Modifiers of πίστις

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Paul Cable | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 8 2015 2:11 PM

This is probably easy, but I'm new to syntax searches and I'm having some trouble:

How would I find all instances of πίστις modified by a genitive of any kind (incl. nouns, adj., participles, etc.)?

I've tried Modifier < word (πιστις) - Modifier2 [all categories checked] and get nothing.

Thanks in advance! 

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 1:00 AM

Bump - sorry you were ignored

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 4:08 PM

Paul Cable:
How would I find all instances of πίστις modified by a genitive of any kind (incl. nouns, adj., participles, etc.)?

Paul,

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of syntax searching. Syntax query building is no easy task, and does take an amount of iteration and "know how" to navigate. I am going to take my best stab at creating a query that solves this issue. 

After thinking about how to build this using the Opentext Database (which I believe is what you are using), I came up with this build:

(Notice the dotted lines where the word and modifier levels were given the command "Matching Skips Levels")

The only issue with this query is that I know it misses Hebrews 11:7 as a result. The reason for this is that this verses syntax structure is so variant from all the other results found.

The only way that I knew this to be the case was that I also built a query using the Cascadia database. Here is the query that I built using Cascadia:

(Notice once again the dotted lines for the "Matching Skips Levels" command)

This finds all of the positive hits from the Opentext search as well as Hebrews 11:7. This Cascadia search should give you rather exhaustive results, but I am sure there is some variant structure that was not able to be accounted for here. Let me know if this makes sense. I would be happy to explain further if needed.

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS