Window 10

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 15
Therese | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 15 2015 5:52 PM

I have on my PC an update for window 10. I have not updated it yet, because I am not sure is Logos configured to cope with Window 10. May somebody tell me it is save. In the past it was at times difficult to run certain programs as the update of a new window was not yet done. Would appreciate anybody tell me. I am from Australia. Thanks in advance Therese

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 6:04 PM

While I do not have Windows 10, others have run it without any problems. Since Windows 10 is near release, it should be safe.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 6:12 PM

I think what you have (since 10 isn't released until the 31st outside of their beta program) is the offer to reserve your place so that you can upgrade on the 31st (or shortly there after).

MS sometime breaks important things between the final beta and the RTM version. If you depend on Logos for sermon prep or something like that then I would wait a couple weeks and let others be the guinea pigs, and then when they have the kinks figured out, upgrade. I will probably upgrade on one of my machines on day one, and the other once I'm content my primary computer isn't going to go down through the process (or else at a time when if it does go down, I've got the time to fix it).

Any way, as far as I know the current beta is working just fine for those who are using it. I haven't heard of any problems, and when I was beta testing (before I reloaded windows on, and then sold my laptop, which was relatively recently) both were working together just fine on my laptop.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 15
Therese | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 6:15 PM

Thanks a lot . I think I wait a bit longer. Therese

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 6:40 PM

Lynden Williams:
Since Windows 10 is near release, it should be safe.

The answer should ALWAYS be, "it is in beta, so user beware."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 7:12 PM

alabama24:

Lynden Williams:
Since Windows 10 is near release, it should be safe.

The answer should ALWAYS be, "it is in beta, so user beware."

Thanks Bama. Will keep it in mind.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2237
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 8:14 PM

I plan to do my Win 10 upgrades one machine at a time. I expect it to be almost entirely uneventful, but MS has a whole lot of code to account for and there will be patches aplenty for those who are first out of the gate.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2015 10:37 PM

This OS release, perhaps more than any other has been pretty well tested. I have high hopes that the upgrade will be uneventful... But were still dealing with MS, and millions, perhaps billions of lines of code. Chances are significant that there will be someone who has a major issue. Like with the L6 release on a particular flavor of Mac OS, something is bound to go sideways for someone.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 3:50 AM

Have been reading a little on this "free" item from Microsoft- looks like this is a step to hook the consumers into "subscription" Windows, unless explicitly denied by Microsoft I will be passing on this free bait and switch.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 4:47 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Have been reading a little on this "free" item from Microsoft- looks like this is a step to hook the consumers into "subscription" Windows, unless explicitly denied by Microsoft I will be passing on this free bait and switch.

Deep inside, I do believe that they are looking to move in the direction of the subscription model. Hopefully it does not cost more than 30.00 a year. I do not upgrade OS when a new one comes out. I get the new Operating System usually with the purchase of a new computer.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 5:23 AM

I used a beta version of Windows 10 with Logos with nary a problem.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 5:31 AM

Lynden Williams:
Deep inside, I do believe that they are looking to move in the direction of the subscription model.

I just don't see it that way. We all have our own slanted outlooks on things. Mine just seems to be slanted in another direction. Windows has been floundering since Vista. They needed to "give" consumers an upgrade that will hopefully...eventually rectify those wounds. Their goal is to offer an OS that will work across all platforms. ... From the smallest phone to the largest PC. If they can make that fly, They will have the revenue they desire. They won't need a subscription model. I have taken the plunge and installed the preview on all my machines. Two months and not a hiccup.

Worse case scenario... I just revert to 8.1 if something unforeseen happens. 

Personal Preference.

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 5:40 AM

Paul C:

Lynden Williams:
Deep inside, I do believe that they are looking to move in the direction of the subscription model.

I just don't see it that way.

FWIW - I don't either. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 6:45 AM

I've been in since first release of the Preview Program. In all honesty, this may be the best beta testing program I've taken part in, very stable throughout. Most issues I did run into were not related to Microsoft, but to software developers not updating programs to function with the Preview Program.

Logos throughout has worked awesome, I think everyone will like the performance increase that comes with Win 10. IMHO, Win 7 was ok, but The best was XP overall. Win 10 will be near XP as far as stability, performance and productivity if MSFT doesn't change it drastically. My one quip is the insistence of the tiles, however it is geared toward cross platform, touch enabled devices, so it is useful.

Overall, especially with yesterday's release this is release ready.

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 6:47 AM

Paul C:
Windows has been floundering since Vista. They needed to "give" consumers an upgrade that will hopefully...eventually rectify those wounds. Their goal is to offer an OS that will work across all platforms. ... From the smallest phone to the largest PC. If they can make that fly, They will have the revenue they desire.

Yep that is the way my mind is working also.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 6:50 AM

Paul C:

Lynden Williams:

I just don't see it that way. We all have our own slanted outlooks on things. Mine just seems to be slanted in another direction. Windows has been floundering since Vista. They needed to "give" consumers an upgrade that will hopefully...eventually rectify those wounds. Their goal is to offer an OS that will work across all platforms. ... From the smallest phone to the largest PC. If they can make that fly, They will have the revenue they desire. They won't need a subscription model. I have taken the plunge and installed the preview on all my machines. Two months and not a hiccup.

Worse case scenario... I just revert to 8.1 if something unforeseen happens. 

Personal Preference.

I will be very relieved if I am wrong.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 7:02 AM

My own personal experience with Windows 10 has been positive. It's actually faster than 7 or 8, and I think they are trying to relieve a bit of the bloat from the earlier versions.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 7:31 AM

Lynden Williams:
I will be very relieved if I am wrong.
I didn't say you were wrong. Microsoft already "offers" a subscription version of the Office Suite. They have introductory cloud services with limited storage that need upgrades if you need more room. (OneNote, OneDrive)  However, I don't see the operating system itself being a subscription. You can opt in or out of these services, No matter what OS you choose.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 7:40 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

That was the rumor for a while, however MS came out and dispelled it.

Link
Another Link

Relevant bits.

Free for the "life of the device" is quite appealing, and a MAJOR shift from where they once were.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2015 1:34 PM

Think that the key here is that Microsoft will still get a fee when we buy a new PC. It would be interesting to see what percentage of their profit comes from this source rather than the boxed product. I suspect that the OEM deals are very profitable.

This also makes great sense for them from a support perspective. Bob has posted here many times about the cost of supporting old products. This change should mean that over the next few years, once XP is finally gone and users abandon Vista, Microsoft will only need to support a single desktop OS. Same will ultimately also be true for companies like Logos too. Less operating systems to support makes focusing on developing new features easier.

It will be interesting to see how they manage new features in the new incremental delivery approach but I suspect that a lot of corporates will move quickly to 10 because once they are guaranteed to stay current using their existing update policy. At a time when more companies are embracing BYOD and the PC market is under pressure this could prove to be a very smart move indeed by Microsoft.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS