How do we use Logos to search our Journals

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 19 2015 9:14 AM

Ok so many of us Journals, but how can we use Logos to quickly search for the topic we are studying?

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 448
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 10:27 AM

I typically search my journals like this:

1. Make a "Journals" collection with a rule "type:journal"
  2. Run a search within only that collection
  3. Change the search range from "all text" to "heading text" and "large text" to search only for articles and subheadings on the topic rather than passing mentions within article text.
  4. Search for my topic and related terms
Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 10:35 AM

I don't know if this will make a difference in your collection but I use- type:journal OR title:vital

Posts 448
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 10:50 AM

Kent:
OR title:vital

What resources did you want included that this rule adds to your collection? Perhaps the Roy Zuck Vital Issues Series?

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 11:08 AM

Dave Moser:

Kent:
OR title:vital

What resources did you want included that this rule adds to your collection? Perhaps the Roy Zuck Vital Issues Series?

Yes. Vital pulls articles from Journals. If you don't have that Journal you still are able to have the article from his work.

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 11:19 AM

Also, be sure that you customize your passage guide to include journals. That way they will automatically populate when you are studying a passage.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 11:30 AM

And remember that you can create the collection "on the fly":

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2176
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 2:26 PM

One last suggestion is to add it as a collection to a customized Topic Guide.The guide will run a search for headings on the topic in question. I have found some great articles using this method. Below is a screenshot running My Topic Guide on the topic of hell.

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2015 2:44 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Also, be sure that you customize your passage guide to include journals. That way they will automatically populate when you are studying a passage.

Using the journals section of the guides is now the best way to search for a topic in journals. John gives another suggestion with an example above. Logos is tagging journals actively but lots (if not all) have been tagged with the main topic or topics, so your results using the journal section are better refined than using Search to search a collection.

If you do this sort of searching regularly, you might want to create a one-item Topic (not passage) Guide containing just the journal search. Name It something like Journals Topic Guide. Then drag it to your menu bar to create a shortcut to it so you can access it quickly.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1544
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 5:26 AM

Dave Moser:

I typically search my journals like this:

1. Make a "Journals" collection with a rule "type:journal"
  2. Run a search within only that collection
  3. Change the search range from "all text" to "heading text" and "large text" to search only for articles and subheadings on the topic rather than passing mentions within article text.
  4. Search for my topic and related terms

This has been my method in searching for some time. I now use the journal section in the passage guide as well, and have created a journal guide with just that section to search so it is not as cluttered as my passage guide (although I guess I could simply close the sections I am not using). 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 3644
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2015 6:29 AM

Using guides and using customized collection-based searches are complementary approaches. The first is easier to use and has the advantage (in the case of topic searches) of helping you choose topic titles that put less pressure on you to come up with the right words to search. The second, however, is more powerful and can find what is not topically tagged, yet is topically relevant in your journals. 

For quick results, start with the first, but for the longer term, it is good to develop also ability with the second approach and use both to cover more ground.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS