Logos 6 on Hybrid Hard Drive

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Joseph Skrobowski | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 22 2015 5:58 PM

Hello, I have a technical question.

Will Logos 6 work properly on a hybrid hard drive/SSHD?

Thanks.

Posts 27796
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 6:09 PM

Welcome! 

Joseph Skrobowski:

Sure. Have any specifics? Generally speaking, the best choice would be an SSD. A hybrid would be better than a traditional drive. You do want to make sure the drive is large enough.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:35 PM

Joseph Skrobowski:

Thanks.

Hi Joseph;

Do you already have L6 installed on a current hard drive? If not, what package or group of resources are you considering?

The reason I am asking is that, if you are completely new to Logos (and not just new to the forums), you will definitely want to consider storage size (as Alabama24 suggested). Logos uses an indexing process that also requires space in addition to your library size. Whatever space your Logos library is (or will be) consuming, you will want to double that. It doesn't need to be a critical or highly technical calculation. As a general rule, I like to have no less than 1/3 free space on my hard drive after all programs and data files are installed. Of course, this 1/3 rule is using a traditional hard drive, and with a SSD that rule may not apply..

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 22 2015 9:13 PM

Joseph Skrobowski:

Thanks.

I just upgraded to an SSD from a 750GbSeagate hybrid SSHD, which I'd used for over a year until my notebook came out of warranty. (Didn't want to crack the case, prior.)

In retrospect, I'm not sure it's worth the money to go beyond an SSHD, since--while my Samsung 850 PRO SSD  is meeting advertised specs, it's only a 15-20% performance bump over the SSHD, which is about $250-300 cheaper on today's market for equivalent storage.

No problems on either one. But neither gives L6 what I'd call really snappy performance on my laptop (specs below), especially on startup & opening a layout.

Blessings on your journey.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS