Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Eric Bond | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 26 2015 5:19 AM

I currently do not own _any_ base package of Logos, I've only used the core engine for a little while, and I just signed up for the free month of Cloud at the Plus level.

I'm trying to figure out why I would not do the Cloud subscription vs buying the product outright. Now I've made the assumption that Cloud Plus is the approximate equivalent of Base Gold, based one what I think I've read/found through forums.

Assuming this, at ~$17/mo (via annual payments), for Cloud Plus, I could subscribe for 88 months, or 7+ years, for the same amount it would cost me to purchase Base Gold ($1500+). On top of that, I can only assume there would be some sort of upgrade/crossgrade (I'm still not quite clear on which term does what) cost associated with the purchase of a Base package within 7 years... possibly even 2 depending on the release cycle of Logos? Whereas I must assume that the Cloud offering is upgraded at no additional cost. Seems this would likely push the equivalent time frame out to 10+ years of subscription for the same cost of purchasing & upgrading. Does that math seem correct?

The one downside of the Cloud subscription I can identify, other than not owning the product, is that adding resources that are not included in the package does not benefit from dynamic pricing. So there may be a hit if one were to purchase a package that includes some of the offerings already a part of the Cloud package. Outside of that, and considering how rapidly technology changes (i.e. the current push for software services in general), am I missing something that would absolutely drive me to purchase rather than "rent"? I understand those already invested in the purchased version having an investment already, but for the brand new user does Cloud seem like a smart alternative?

Thanks for you time and any guidance!
Eric

Posts 6473
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2015 5:50 AM

Welcome to the forums Eric.

Eric Bond:
I'm trying to figure out why I would not do the Cloud subscription vs buying the product outright

Each users need is different. Some prefer to rent and own nothing at the end, others prefer to buy. If you rent, you can stop at anytime you do not have the money, are no longer interested, and you gain access to a large library for the monthly payment. If you were to purchase, you have to pay more per month for the same resources over a twelve year period. The resources that you rent in cloud are likely to improve over time, (as more publishers come on board) while the price will remain the same.

Eric Bond:
On top of that, I can only assume there would be some sort of upgrade/crossgrade

I do not recall Logos speaking to this issue, others may have more information.

Eric Bond:
The one downside of the Cloud subscription I can identify, other than not owning the product, is that adding resources that are not included in the package does not benefit from dynamic pricing.

You are correct.

Students who could not afford to pay a monthly figure of 125.00 (if Plus is equivalent to Gold) can now have the same resources for 17.00 per anum as you mentioned.

I recommend that you try it out and see if you like it. If you do, then keep paying, if not you would have lost 17.00. (Not sure if you can still test drive it with the initial commitment of at least one months payment.)

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 4556
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 12:19 AM

Eric

Were I starting from scratch I would be a Cloud subscriber.

There is much in my library that is incidental and opportunist and rarely if ever contributes to my study and would be much better 'rented' than purchased.

There is, of course, nothing to stop you building a library of resources that have a major benefit on your life and work and that you might like to keep and eventually even pass on.

As I say - were I starting from scratch this is the route that I would be travelling - may God bless your travels and welcome to the forums.

Posts 13144
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 2:18 AM

Eric Bond:
The one downside of the Cloud subscription I can identify, other than not owning the product, is that adding resources that are not included in the package does not benefit from dynamic pricing. So there may be a hit if one were to purchase a package that includes some of the offerings already a part of the Cloud package. Outside of that, and considering how rapidly technology changes (i.e. the current push for software services in general), am I missing something that would absolutely drive me to purchase rather than "rent"? I understand those already invested in the purchased version having an investment already, but for the brand new user does Cloud seem like a smart alternative?

It's too late for me to rent (I've already bought too much to make it worthwhile), but I've considered it. The biggest downside for me is that some of the best Gold content isn't in in Cloud, so they're not really equivalent. Cloud has the best of the older resources and resources published by Faithlife and a handful of other publishers. Gold has the best of the modern resources. I compared Logos 6 Gold with Logos Cloud Premium, and there are some of the best things that are missing from Cloud:

• New American Commentary (41 volumes)
  • New International Greek Testament Commentary (13 volumes)
  • Pillar New Testament Commentary (15 volumes)
  • Socio-Rhetorical Commentary (10 volumes)
  • United Bible Societies' Handbooks (61 volumes)
  • Dictionary of Biblical Languages
  • Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (10 volumes)
  • Theological Lexicons of the OT and NT (2 volumes)
  • Ancient Near Eastern Texts
  • Works of Josephus and Works of Philo
  • Dictionary of Bible Themes
  • Various Bibles: NASB, NKJV, NLT, Message
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, Battles translation (2 volumes)

Of course, there's a lot missing from Gold that's in Cloud Premium, too. But much less that's useful IMO. The only things I'd really miss if I had Gold, not Cloud would be:

• Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (8 volumes)
  • International Critical Commentary (31 volumes)
  • Lexham Bible Guide (12 volumes)
  • Works of John Owen (24 volumes)

I don't know if all these are in Cloud Plus.

So, if you're a fan of older works, Cloud is a great solution. But if you want/need modern commentaries and lexicons, I still think the purchase option is far superior. That's what I'd choose if I was starting out today.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS