Reproducible Bug: Parallel Resource menu isn't respecting advanced prioritisation

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 28 2015 2:50 PM

In at least some cases, the parallel resource menu isn't respective advanced prioritisation. To create a reproducible test case, the screenshot below shows the top of my prioritisation list (i.e. nothing is prioritised higher than the items shown). You'll see that various individual commentaries are prioritised, but that prioritisation is restricted to the book of Ruth. 

Bringing up the Parallel Resource Menu from a Judges milestone, you'd therefore expect all the resources prioritised for Ruth to be ignored, and the first resource to be shown to be the TOTC volume. However, that's not what happens:

The bug appears to be triggered by any resources with the standard Bible datatype. Resources that use the BHS datatype don't trigger the problem. You can see that from the WBC volume, which is correctly ignored.

The bug also appears to be restricted to the parallel resource menu. Guides and look ups seem to work just fine.

This bug was first reported here. Judging from this post, the bug has been around at least since 2012!

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 3:30 PM

I've created a case for this. 

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 8197
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
Bringing up the Parallel Resource Menu from a Judges milestone, you'd therefore expect all the resources prioritised for Ruth to be ignored, and the first resource to be shown to be the TOTC volume.

This is a somewhat advanced use case that wasn't anticipated by the implementation of the Parallel Resources menu. We most likely won't address this problem without overhauling the prioritisation system first.

As a workaround, you can create a collection that excludes the resources that you prioritised just for Ruth, so that they won't show up on the Parallel Resource menu.

Mark Barnes:
expect all the resources prioritised for Ruth to be ignored

If by "ignored" you mean "omitted from the list entirely", then I disagree (although my suggested workaround will do just that). If you mean "listed in their default priority order" then I would agree (but this isn't currently supported by the code, and I can't think of a workaround that would accomplish it).

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 7:58 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Mark Barnes:
expect all the resources prioritised for Ruth to be ignored

If by "ignored" you mean "omitted from the list entirely", then I disagree (although my suggested workaround will do just that). If you mean "listed in their default priority order" then I would agree (but this isn't currently supported by the code, and I can't think of a workaround that would accomplish it).

I meant that I would expect all the prioritisations specified for Ruth would be ignored, not that the resources would be ignored. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 9:28 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

This is a somewhat advanced use case that wasn't anticipated by the implementation of the Parallel Resources menu. We most likely won't address this problem without overhauling the prioritisation system first.

As a workaround, you can create a collection that excludes the resources that you prioritised just for Ruth, so that they won't show up on the Parallel Resource menu.

Bradley,

Can I just provide some additional input (I posted on this issue in the other thread that Mark refers to)

(1) I have tried the workaround as you have suggested, so, for my case instead of having ONE big CommentaryBest Collection as Parallel Resources Set (PRS), I created 66 smaller Collections as PRS for each Book in the Bible.

• It helps ... when resources in collection (PRS) created for each book of the Bible are mutually exclusive;
  • However, it does not help with resources that covers multiple books (eg. Joshua, Judges, Ruth) and these books appeared in each of the collection. eg. NAC, NIVAC, DSB (sorry a bit long winded)

(2) The strange thing as Mark discovered, if Commentaries are indexed by Bible (BHS) these seem to behave itself, eg. WBC

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS