Word processor / sermon writing

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 13
Brian Helm | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 7 2015 7:40 AM

im very new to Logos, so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

i am trying to figure out how to type up my sermons as I did using word search10.  Like just a simple word processor.

i see how to create "notes", but not sure how to just type a document up.  Do I have to go to word or PowerPoint to do this?  How do others type up their sermons...or do you just preach from a "notes" document?

any/all help would be appreciated

thanks

brian 

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 7:53 AM

Welcome Brian!

I personally use Word, but I know several people do use the Notes feature which is very close to the capabilities of the word processor in WORDsearch 10.   

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 8:49 AM

Brian Helm:

im very new to Logos, so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

i am trying to figure out how to type up my sermons as I did using word search10.  Like just a simple word processo

Logos isn't designed for sermon writing per se. It's a research, study & reading platform. Logos has said that they don't want to write a word processor, because it's very difficult to write one better than what's already out there. Most of us in the Windows environment use MSWord, some use Libre Office, and a few use other word processors that fit their preferences and experience. I'm not familiar with the options in the Mac world, though MS Word is available now there as well. I suppose Google Docs could also work, though I'm not aware of those who use that option (they're probably out there).

I also have a dual screen set up that makes working this way much more enjoyable (Word on one screen, Logos on the other). I highly recommend a dual monitor system, if you have the desk space and if your graphics card supports it (most do).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3096
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 8:54 AM

Brian Helm:
i am trying to figure out how to type up my sermons as I did using word search10.

Brian,

I would not recommend using Logos' notes for writing your sermons. Logos is very good at exporting to Word. It is not good at doing the things Word does (and FL has said so themselves).

You *can* use notes to write sermons, but I'll confidently guess you'll never be happy with it, both as a writing tool or as an organizational tool.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 29934
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 9:06 AM

Doc B:
I would not recommend using Logos' notes for writing your sermons. Logos is very good at exporting to Word. It is not good at doing the things Word does (and FL has said so themselves).

+1 Yes Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 12:58 PM

John Kight:

Welcome Brian!

I personally use Word, but I know several people do use the Notes feature which is very close to the capabilities of the word processor in WORDsearch 10.   

Me too. I actually write my sermons in PowerPoint, but my point is that I wouldn't do it in Logos. 

Posts 1222
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2015 1:48 PM

If you do use Word to write up your sermons then you can get Logos to make a very well indexed and handy book out of them. I don't use word but I convert them to word after. The reason is because you can tag them all with Bible verses, themes, duration even location. It means that I can easily check what I have preached, when and to who etc. I don't like to reuse and illustration with the same people but I have some good stories worth sharing more than once etc.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 13
Brian Helm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 5:39 AM

Thanks Everyone, this was very helpful.

Once I got used to It, I found the Notes editor in Logos to be very similar to the word processor in Wordsearch10...obviously not Word, but easy to copy/paste and do additional formatting.

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2015 12:02 PM

Brian Helm:
Once I got used to It, I found the Notes editor in Logos to be very similar to the word processor in Wordsearch10...obviously not Word, but easy to copy/paste and do additional formatting.

Hi Brian:

You didn't tell us which platform you're using (Windows or Mac) but I believe you would find writing and formatting your sermons with Word is even more convenient than the notes editor in Logos.  For one thing, you can bring Scripture quotes into your sermons directly when using Word either in the Mac or Windows version.

I write all my sermons using Mac Word in a moderate outline format interspersed with Scripture quotes that I wish to use. However, whatever works best for you is what is important.  

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 1
timothy nelson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 1:01 PM

I was asking the very same question. I believe that's one of the features on wordsearch bible program that I miss the most when developing sermons through Logos 8.

Posts 25355
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 2:14 PM

Hi Timothy - and welcome to Logos and to these forums

This is an old thread and, since then, Logos has incorporated a Sermon Editor.

See https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016747391-Sermon-Editor for some guidance on how to use it

I recommend having a look at that and seeing if it provides what you need.

And please post back with any specific issues / questions

Graham

Posts 689
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 8:07 PM

Josh Hunt:
I actually write my sermons in PowerPoint

You've peaked my curiosity. Could you share an example? What have found as the advantage of doing it in PowerPoint rather than Word?

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 8:39 PM

Here is my most recent sermon  https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7ko2ytbztt5202/Feeling%20Right6.pptx?dl=0

Keep in mind much of it won't make a  lot of sense without the verbal sermon itself. 

Also, we are a really small church and are using video music, so those are included in there. The power point is "As is"--that is just as I used it last week. 

I have been doing it this way forever and don't really remember my thought process is starting. part of it is that I am really particular about how I want the PowerPoint to be. I can't imagine delegating that. If I were the pastor of a mega church, I'd still want to do my own powerpoint.

if you wanted to chat, feel free to call 575 650 4564

Posts 1275
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2020 7:04 AM

Ok, is there a link for how to export to Word? I’ve been doing copy-paste ever since Libronix.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 25355
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2020 7:23 AM

David Wanat:

Ok, is there a link for how to export to Word? I’ve been doing copy-paste ever since Libronix.

Try going to https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016747391-Sermon-Editor and then look at the Sermon Editor: Export presentation at the bottom of the page - about 4:40 in. (It was recorded under Logos 7 but the principles are still the same in Logos 8)

Basically, you need to click the Export button on the Sermon document toolbar and then Print / Export

Posts 1275
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2020 7:51 AM

Graham Criddle:

David Wanat:

Try going to https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016747391-Sermon-Editor and then look at the Sermon Editor: Export presentation at the bottom of the page - about 4:40 in. (It was recorded under Logos 7 but the principles are still the same in Logos 8)

Basically, you need to click the Export button on the Sermon document toolbar and then Print / Export

Thank you. I’ve bookmarked this for future reference 

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS