Looking for all the Greek words

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 23 2015 9:29 AM

Simple question! What report would I need to run if i wanted to see all of the Greek words for a particular engish. For example, if I wanted to see all of the Greek words for the English word "crown" what report would I run?

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 21862
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 9:32 AM

Use the Bible Word Study Guide with the word "crown" and use the Translation section

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 12:07 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
... see all of the Greek words for the English word "crown" what report would I run?

Morph Search analysis can group by Greek Lemma:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 12:16 PM

Hi

What is bible grid favorite? I have never come across that before.

Thanks

P A

Posts 24843
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 1:33 PM

P A:
What is bible grid favorite?

??

OK - I see where you got it!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 21862
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 1:59 PM

P A:

its a collection or passage list KS4J has made

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 4:41 PM

Graham Criddle:

P A:

"Bible Grid Favorites" is a collection; have tagged 28 resources with BibleGrid

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2015 9:00 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Graham Criddle:

P A:

"Bible Grid Favorites" is a collection; have tagged 28 resources with BibleGrid

Keep Smiling Smile

Is there a helpful rule that we can use to bring over those resources into a collection? I assume since yours says "mytag" that it is not a Logos Rule.

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2015 9:12 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Pastor Michael Huffman:
... see all of the Greek words for the English word "crown" what report would I run?

Keep Smiling Smile

Curious. When you do a search in the Bible Word Study report for "crown" it does not come back but with two Greek words and both of them are from the same form. When you do the morph search, unless I cannot see it in the Screen here, it does not come back with the word 'diadhmata" which is translated "crown" in the "AV" and "diadem" in the ESV, although the majority text, the TR and the Alexandrian all the same Greek "diadhmata". Curious why neither one of  the reports shows a Greek word for "Crown" being "diadhmata". Hope this makes sense.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2015 10:07 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus:

Pastor Michael Huffman:

Another method is to search BDAG for the FormalEquivalent.  This will give the Greek lemmas for the English word.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 53
LogosEmployee
Michael Meiser (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2015 7:20 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
Curious. When you do a search in the Bible Word Study report for "crown" it does not come back but with two Greek words and both of them are from the same form. When you do the morph search, unless I cannot see it in the Screen here, it does not come back with the word 'diadhmata" which is translated "crown" in the "AV" and "diadem" in the ESV, although the majority text, the TR and the Alexandrian all the same Greek "diadhmata". Curious why neither one of  the reports shows a Greek word for "Crown" being "diadhmata". Hope this makes sense.

Great questions!

When running any report from English back into the Greek or Hebrew, the English translation being used makes all the difference as to which lemmas are returned. For instance, in the Bible Word Study, the translation section will differ depending on which translation you have selected. In the ESV, there are only 20 places where the English word crown appears, and this is translated from only 2 lemmas.

If we click on "Settings," we can change this to the KJV instead which uses this English word 23 times, translated from three different lemmas. 

If you're not into changing views in the Bible Word Study, my preferred method for finding Greek or Hebrew words is to run a search of an English word in a Bible search using the range of "Top Bibles." I have prioritized my top Bibles to make up a range of different types of translations. You can see from the image below I use the ESV, NRSV, KJV, NIV, and NLT.

You can then view these results in the analysis view and organize by the lemma column and change it to "summary view" to see all the different lemmas that get a hit.

Curious lemmas in these results are βασιλεια, λαμβανω, and εαυτου. These are hits because of the less literal nature of the NLT which translates the phrase λαβόντα τὴν βασιλείαν as "he was crowned king." 

I hope this helps to explain a bit further what is going on. 

Free Logos Tutorials on YouTube: Digital Bible Study Made Easy

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 7:22 AM

Thanks, Mike. Great explanation on this!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS