Visual Filter for Dark Red Headings?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1162
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 30 2015 1:20 PM

I've recently been appreciating the page layout and typography of the ESV Reader's Bible. Chapter and Book headings are a deep red, and the contrast with the normal black text is beautiful. 

Since I mostly read my Bible in the Logos app, in all this I've been wishing that there was more customization available for color and text layout in Logos. I was wondering if there was a way to use a visual filter to color all the headings in Logos dark red. I've toyed with this a bit, but can't quite figure out how to do it. 

Does anyone know how I could create a visual filter to make all headings dark red?

Posts 25103
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 1:52 PM

You can search for text in Heading Text and Large Text as they are Search Fields under All Text in Basic Search, but a wild card * is necessary to highlight all text in those headings. That's a time consuming search for a Visual Filter and there's no guarantee that all headings will be found.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 1:58 PM

Dave Hooton:
You can search for text in Heading Text and Large Text as they are Search Fields under All Text in Basic Search, but a wild card * is necessary to highlight all text in those headings.

This is exactly what I was thinking and I have been playing with this for a bit now but with no success. See below.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1162
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 4:58 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I got it to work with the ESV Study Bible, but not the actual ESV or HDNT (the 3 I've checked so far). 

But it is actually working with the ESV Study, which means you did it right. I just don't know what is different about Bible headings that isn't allowing them to be considered by the filter.

Posts 1162
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 5:03 PM

Ha! Nevermind! The filter works great! It just takes forever to start, because Logos has to systematically work through each heading character. My ESV just turned all the titles and subheadings red! It just took a while!

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 5:54 PM

Liam:
The filter works great! It just takes forever to start, because Logos has to systematically work through each heading character. My ESV just turned all the titles and subheadings red! It just took a while!

Mine took a while to start too. I guess that makes sense but I didn't expect it to take that long.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2858
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 6:54 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Mine took a while to start too. I guess that makes sense but I didn't expect it to take that long.

How long is "that long"?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 22093
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 30 2015 7:01 PM

Liam:

Ha! Nevermind! The filter works great! It just takes forever to start, because Logos has to systematically work through each heading character. My ESV just turned all the titles and subheadings red! It just took a while!

Please remember this will need to be re-applied each time you restart Logos

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 4:11 AM

Doc B:

Bruce Dunning:

How long is "that long"?

I'm not sure exactly since I gave up and looked at something else but I'm guessing more than 5 minutes.

Posts 1162
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 6:05 AM

I'm really enjoying this filter!

Thank you guys!

It works on all my books! Whatever I have open whether it be a Bible, commentary, or devotional during my morning reading. It really makes the text pop. This is one I'll just always keep on. But yes Graham, I've noticed that it needs to reapply everytime Logos is started. Some of my books take up to half an hour to work, but it's a pleasant surprise when it finally starts in the book I'm reading.

Oh, by the way, I didn't use the red they give in the solid colors palette, instead I created a dark red myself in my own custom palette. Much nicer.

Posts 2858
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 3:42 PM

Liam:
I didn't use the red they give in the solid colors palette, instead I created a dark red myself in my own custom palette. Much nicer.

You ought to consider sharing it on Faithlife. Here would be one good place, for example.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS