Which WBC volumes do you recommend?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1263
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 1:19 PM

Most recommendations seem to follow the highest rankings commonly found on the internet elsewhere. I have all the ZECNT, NICNT and Pillar volumes. For the Old Testament I have most New American Commentaries. I don't read Greek or Hebrew, which is why I've tended to go for these series. Even the ZECNT series is OK for those that don't read Greek. I did get Mounce in the WBC series as Pillar and ZECNT don't have anything on the Pastorals yet. Given what I have and the fact I don't read the original languages, are there any 'must buy' recommendations that will be relatively easy to follow and better than anything I might already have.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 1:40 PM

I do not read Greek or Hebrew either and usually I don't have any trouble following the WBC series. Now I might get a bit more out of it if I did but going just now to re read psalm 63 in the WBC I find the few times when I had needed to translate a word in Hebrew to follow along it was very simple to have logos open up a word study to give me a very quick full meaning of the word. 

Dan

Posts 7215
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 3:00 PM

Get Pastorals, Hebrews, 1 Peter, Revelation, Galatians, Matthew...wow and the rest of the series if you can afford it before the price doubles :)

DAL

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 3:20 PM

DAL:
rest of the series if you can afford it before the price doubles :)

This has to be one of the stupidest thing Zondervan has ever done. It's current price meant it was roughly affordable for anyone who wanted it, and it is arguably the best critical Evangelical series out there (I know FL would argue ECC is the best but the volumes I have used seem a little light on the critical scholarship, not saying it isn't a fine series just WBC fits me better). WBC will still be an extremely important series come October 1, but I would bet sales will fall off a cliff.

-Dan

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 3:39 PM

The best part of the sale that I see, is the WBC at $9.99 per volume. That's a sale, considering that the average cost of the volumes in this series is $25 - ~$50.

Posts 9229
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:07 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
The best part of the sale that I see, is the WBC at $9.99 per volume.

Agreed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 6:36 PM

I can swing getting 50-60% of the volumes in the series--maybe a little more--but going after the whole set is looking a little "iffy".  I know a few people have kindly shared the volumes they would suggest getting, but I'll be able to purchase more volumes than have been recommend.  So, since I can get more than the recommended volumes but probably won't be able to spring for the entire set, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share which volumes they would likely leave out if they couldn't get the entire set.

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:52 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
... I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share which volumes they would likely leave out if they couldn't get the entire set.

Hi Rick

Obviously you're going to skip over the old editions that have been replaced since 1998 (such as Butler's Joshua, Martin's 2 Cor, Craigie's Psa 1-50, and Watt's two Isaiah volumes).

Personally, I'm not keen on Christensen's 2 volumes on Deut. I think there are better commentaries on Deut (such as Chris Wright, UBCS series).

Some have recommended Aune's 2 volumes on Revelation. They are worth having for the perspective they bring, but I find he sometimes places too much emphasis on non-Jewish backgrounds, so I prefer someone like Beale (NIGTC series).

It also depends on what other commentaries you already have. When I sort my library by the "Most Used" column, I notice that I use WBC much less for the NT than the OT. That reflects the fact that I have a number of good NT commentaries too so WBC isn't as obvious as a go-to in the NT for me. In other words, one of the great things about this sale is that you can buy to fill the gaps in your current library.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 9:30 AM

Allen Browne:

Rick Ausdahl:
... I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share which volumes they would likely leave out if they couldn't get the entire set.

Hi Rick

Obviously you're going to skip over the old editions that have been replaced since 1998 (such as Butler's Joshua, Martin's 2 Cor, Craigie's Psa 1-50, and Watt's two Isaiah volumes).

Personally, I'm not keen on Christensen's 2 volumes on Deut. I think there are better commentaries on Deut (such as Chris Wright, UBCS series).

Some have recommended Aune's 2 volumes on Revelation. They are worth having for the perspective they bring, but I find he sometimes places too much emphasis on non-Jewish backgrounds, so I prefer someone like Beale (NIGTC series).

It also depends on what other commentaries you already have. When I sort my library by the "Most Used" column, I notice that I use WBC much less for the NT than the OT. That reflects the fact that I have a number of good NT commentaries too so WBC isn't as obvious as a go-to in the NT for me. In other words, one of the great things about this sale is that you can buy to fill the gaps in your current library.

Allen, thank you much for your reply.  I appreciate your comments.

Just in case others are wondering about my current commentary resource, I've provided a list of them (in alphabetical order) at the end of this post.  The WBC volumes I'm currently looking at are listed immediately below.

WBC Volumes I'm Currently checking out

Vol 1:    Gen 1-15
Vol 2:    Gen 16-50
Vol 4:    Lev
Vol 7a:  Josh 1-12 (2nd ed.)
Vol 7b:  Josh 13-24 (2nd ed.)
Vol 9:     Ruth, Esther
Vol 14:   1 Chron
Vol 15:   2 Chron
Vol 16:    Ezra, Nehemiah
Vol 17:    Job 1-20
Vol 18a:  Job 21-37
Vol 18b:  Job 38-42
Vol 19:     Psalms 1-50 (Rev. ed.)
Vol 23b:   Song of Songs/Lamentations
Vol 28:      Ezekiel 1-19
Vol 29:      Ezekiel 20-48
Vol 30:      Daniel
Vol 31:      Hosea-Jonah
Vol 41:      Gal
Vol 42:      Eph
Vol 44:      Col, Phil
Vol 45:      1 & 2 Thess
Vol 46:      Pastoral Epistles
Vol 47a:    Heb 1-8
Vol 47b:    Heb 9-13
Vol 50:      Jude, 2nd Peter

Current Commentary sets I own (in Alphabetical Order)

A Bible Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition
Black's NT Commentary
Calvin's Commentaries
College Press NIV Commentary
Early Church Fathers
Exegetical Summaries
Holman NT Commentary
Horae Homileticae
Lange's Commentary
Lenski's Commentary on the NT
New American Commentary
New International Greek Testament Commentary
NIV Application Commentary
Opening Up Commentary
Pillar NT Commentary
Randall House Bible Commentary
Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series
United Bible Societies' Handbooks
Wiersbe's "Be" Series

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 5:49 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
Just in case others are wondering about my current commentary resource, I've provided a list of them (in alphabetical order) at the end of this post.

Yes, you have quite a few good quality sets that cover the NT (NIGTC, Pillar, Socio-Rhetorical, etc), so it makes sense to focus on the OT in this purchase.

I'm currently working through Exodus, and I'm going to Durham constantly.

You might want to add the other 2 volumes on the Psalms (unless you have others here).

It's interesting that you chose Chronicles over Samuel & Kings. IME, Samuel and Kings provide much more detail of the united and divided kingdom, whereas Chronicles provides more insight into how 2nd-temple Jews remembered their story.

Hope you're enjoying the UBS handbooks. I don't often see them discussed here, so they are possibly an underused resource. I often refer to them when I'm wondering about the meaning of a phrase (esp in the OT), as they really do help me translate not just words but concepts.

HTH.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 8:29 PM

Allen Browne:

Rick Ausdahl:
Just in case others are wondering about my current commentary resource, I've provided a list of them (in alphabetical order) at the end of this post.

Yes, you have quite a few good quality sets that cover the NT (NIGTC, Pillar, Socio-Rhetorical, etc), so it makes sense to focus on the OT in this purchase.

I'm currently working through Exodus, and I'm going to Durham constantly.

You might want to add the other 2 volumes on the Psalms (unless you have others here).

It's interesting that you chose Chronicles over Samuel & Kings. IME, Samuel and Kings provide much more detail of the united and divided kingdom, whereas Chronicles provides more insight into how 2nd-temple Jews remembered their story.

Hope you're enjoying the UBS handbooks. I don't often see them discussed here, so they are possibly an underused resource. I often refer to them when I'm wondering about the meaning of a phrase (esp in the OT), as they really do help me translate not just words but concepts.

HTH.

It's funny... I've been contemplating all of the volumes you mentioned.  To be honest, most (though not all) of the WBC volumes listed in my previous post were selected based on the rankings in Best Commentaries, and it was based on those rankings that I initially opted for Chronicles over Samuel & Kings, even though I felt less interested in Chronicles.  The same goes for Leviticus--I was actually more interested in Exodus, but went with Leviticus because of the rankings.

At such a good sale price, it's hard to discipline myself and not just go for the whole set, but I am trying to develop more of a pick-and-choose mentality than going for whole sets just so I have the comfort/pleasure of having whole sets.  But even when trying to be more selective, in a case like the WBC sale, I'll still be getting more volumes than I can evaluate well within a 30 day period, hence the request for feedback from people who already have experience with the set.

Regarding the UBS handbooks, I have to confess I haven't had the opportunity to delve into them yet, though I have heard some good things said about them.  Up to this point, I've been in a library "building" mode, expecting that within 2-3 years, I'll have considerably more free time which will allow me to reap the benefits of what I hope will be a fairly decent library for a retired lay-person. 

Posts 2234
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 11:36 PM

UBS is extremely useful, especially if you work cross-culturally/cross-linguistically.  I never leave it out of a serious study.

For WBC, I won't get the duplicates/updates, but will fill in a couple gaps: Judges and Job 38-42  I have to ask my wife first.   

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2015 1:25 AM

If You want to buy a little less right now, a hint is that bestcommentaries.com is generally a bit discriminative against the newest commentaries. In Your situation I would get the Hermeneia -volume on 2 Chron (I got in Verbum on pre-pub and since a year have it in Accordance as well), and wait for the newer forthcoming Edition of Word Biblical Commentary on Jude and 2 Peter by Richard Bauckham http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jude-2-Peter-Word-Biblical-Commentary/dp/0310521696/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442046145&sr=1-1&keywords=richard+bauckham+jude+peter:

Rick Ausdahl:
WBC Volumes I'm Currently checking out

Vol 15:   2 Chron

Vol 50:      Jude, 2nd Peter

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 13 2015 6:39 PM

I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread/topic.  Between the suggestions here, the rankings on Best Commentaries, and reading through other reviews, I was able to select many volumes that I believe will be a nice compliment to the other commentaries in my library.

I also want to say thanks to Thomas Nelson/Zondervan and Faithlife for the WBC sale pricing.

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 1:18 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread/topic.  Between the suggestions here, the rankings on Best Commentaries, and reading through other reviews, I was able to select many volumes that I believe will be a nice compliment to the other commentaries in my library.

I also want to say thanks to Thomas Nelson/Zondervan and Faithlife for the WBC sale pricing.

I want to echo Rick. Thanks everyone. Originally thinking I would get a few volumes, I ended up with a dozen.

First the NIVAC for $7.99, now this... Thanks Zondervan. I hope sales like this are successful enough to encourage more sales like this from you and other publishers! Would love to see similar single volume commentary sales from, say, Eerdmans or IVP.

Posts 3765
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 2:09 AM

I like what Dunn has done with Romans, it is -- in my view -- a more intelligent commentary than the many out there that simply regurgitate their confessional commitments with elaborate arguments to justify them. I liked the way Dunn linked Romans 9-11 to chapter 8. Just recently I read him on 3:10-20 (the catena of OT quotations) and although it did not answer all my questions, at least he provided an interesting discussion on it (how Paul applies psalms that refer to the fool or the wicked more generally as an indictment of Jewish sinfulness alongside that of Gentiles).

I would also recommend Genesis, Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Although Revelation is rated high (#4) I found it to be too all over the place and not as useful as say, Osborne (BECNT). 

Here is a link to the series on bestcommentaries.com:

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/word-biblical-commentary-wbc/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johann:
First the NIVAC for $7.99, now this... Thanks Zondervan. I hope sales like this are successful enough to encourage more sales like this from you and other publishers! Would love to see similar single volume commentary sales from, say, Eerdmans or IVP.

Yes

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 7:47 AM

Francis:

I like what Dunn has done with Romans, it is -- in my view -- a more intelligent commentary than the many out there that simply regurgitate their confessional commitments with elaborate arguments to justify them. I liked the way Dunn linked Romans 9-11 to chapter 8. Just recently I read him on 3:10-20 (the catena of OT quotations) and although it did not answer all my questions, at least he provided an interesting discussion on it (how Paul applies psalms that refer to the fool or the wicked more generally as an indictment of Jewish sinfulness alongside that of Gentiles).

I would also recommend Genesis, Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Although Revelation is rated high (#4) I found it to be too all over the place and not as useful as say, Osborne (BECNT). 

Here is a link to the series on bestcommentaries.com:

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/word-biblical-commentary-wbc/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johann:

Yes

Francis, I've drifted back and forth regarding Dunn's commentary on Romans, mainly because I was concerned that it would be all about his "New Perspectives", which based on things I've heard from Carson and others, I don't think I would agree with.  But since you're familiar with this resource, can you tell me if his new perspectives view permeates the entire commentary and to what extent?

Thank you!

Posts 2759
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 10:10 AM

For me:

OT:

• 1 & 2: Genesis, by Wenham
  •  Exodus, by Durham
  •  Ezra/Nehemiah, by Williamson
  • Hosea-Jonah
  • Daniel, by Goldingay

NT:

• Pastoral Epistles 
  • Galatians, by Longenecker
  • Colossians/Philemon, by O’Brien
  • Hebrews, by Lane
  • Jude/2 Peter, by Bauckham

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3765
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 12:06 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
since you're familiar with this resource, can you tell me if his new perspectives view permeates the entire commentary and to what extent?

I don't know. For my part, I am not afraid of the new perspective, so I did not read it with your question in mind. I do think that Dunn's commentary is a very good resource that should not threaten the faith of an Evangelical. I don't mean "might not," but "should not" if what one only cares about finding out is what the Word of God says and not predetermine what it must say. I will keep my answer at that knowing that we are not supposed to diverge in theological issues here. You may just have to take a peek for yourself.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 2:09 PM

Francis:

[I do think that Dunn's commentary is a very good resource that should not threaten the faith of an Evangelical.

Thanks, Francis.  I wasn't actually concerned about it from a faith/risk perspective--I feel pretty well grounded and not easily set to worry or concern by what any author/theologian might present.  But it's my understanding that Dunn thinks most everyone since the reformation has mis-understood Paul's main point in Romans (and hence his theology).  I haven't heard anyone even suggest there was anything heretical in Dunn's NPP--only that they thought he (Dunn) had it wrong and that even he seems to have back-peddled a little from things he use to say/teach.  I wasn't sure I'd have time to go through the resource to evaluated it in the 30-day return window--that's the only reason I had waffled.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS