Which WBC volumes do you recommend?

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3765
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 2:51 PM

No problem, Rick. This raises an interesting question: is it possible that most everyone since the Reformation got Paul wrong or is the Reformed tradition infallible? Did it not challenge dogmas and practices that were centuries old and held by most everyone beforehand? So why could not the same be done with regard to Reformed theology? I am not saying that you say it cannot. I am just saying that even if Dunn had offered this challenge, then how would it discount its value? On the contrary, I think that Dunn's moderate approach is as good as any if one wants to evaluate the merits of what he and others are saying about Paul's message. I believe that aside from that, it is simply also a quite good commentary that one will find useful with regard to individual passages.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 6:11 PM

Francis:

No problem, Rick. This raises an interesting question: is it possible that most everyone since the Reformation got Paul wrong or is the Reformed tradition infallible? Did it not challenge dogmas and practices that were centuries old and held by most everyone beforehand? So why could not the same be done with regard to Reformed theology? I am not saying that you say it cannot. I am just saying that even if Dunn had offered this challenge, then how would it discount its value? On the contrary, I think that Dunn's moderate approach is as good as any if one wants to evaluate the merits of what he and others are saying about Paul's message. I believe that aside from that, it is simply also a quite good commentary that one will find useful with regard to individual passages.

Yes... it's definitely possible.  It's been quite a few years though since the NPP were raised by Sanders, then Wright and Dunn, yet after investigation and consideration by others such as Carson, Cranfield, and Moo, I'm under the impression that while the NPP initially stirred the waters quite a bit, it hasn't really taken hold.  Again, that doesn't mean NPP is wrong, only that it doesn't seem to have become main-stream.

FWIW, I did purchase both of Dunn's WBC volumes on Romans and will try to evaluate them within my 30-day period.  I have heard Dunn and others (I think including Wright) on TV on a couple of occasions and felt they presented themselves very well, so I expect I'll find some nuggets in Dunn's commentaries on Romans. 

Posts 3530
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 7:20 PM

Just a friendly reminder that this is the wrong forum for theological discussions.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2015 8:00 PM

SineNomine:

Just a friendly reminder that this is the wrong forum for theological discussions.

No offense or rule violation intended.  Not trying to debate theological positions--just trying to get a handle on what an author's perspective might be as an aid in determining whether or not to purchase one of his works.  Hopefully that's not a violation.

Posts 3530
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 8:56 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
SineNomine:
No offense or rule violation intended.

I know. Smile I just didn't want it to veer any further into theology or to become a debate. I was really tempted to give a straightforwardly theological reply and I wanted to make sure that neither I nor anyone else gave in to the temptation.

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 10:00 AM

SineNomine:

Rick Ausdahl:
SineNomine:
No offense or rule violation intended.

I know. Smile I just didn't want it to veer any further into theology or to become a debate. I was really tempted to give a straightforwardly theological reply and I wanted to make sure that neither I nor anyone else gave in to the temptation.

Don't forget about this site http://www.christiandiscourse.com/ .

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:12 PM

SineNomine:

I was really tempted to give a straightforwardly theological reply and I wanted to make sure that neither I nor anyone else gave in to the temptation.

AngelDevilAngel

I know exactly what you mean.  Sometimes, it's the hardest thing is to just Zip it!.

AngelDevilAngel

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 11:42 AM

Instead of WBC by James Ramsey Michaels, 1988, I would get the Anchor Yale Bible volume by John H. Elliott, 2000, despite the price difference. I have it (the NT set incl. the old Mt -volume by Albright) in Accordance, if it goes on a deep discount sale (40% off or better) I may duplicate it in Verbum. The WBC -volume is not worth the $10:

Michael:

• 1 Peter (this one I as a little more iffy about, but for $10 I think it's worth it)

[...]

I'm curious if anyone would consider other volumes "must-haves" or recommend against getting any volumes I've listed.

Michael:
Volume 49: 1 Peter

[...]

That's about all I afford for now.  Crying

Didn't You all get the free commentary in the Continental -series by Jacob Milgrom, 2004? - because that's the commentary I'd recommend instead!.

Michael:
Volume 4: Leviticus

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS