Zondervan sale isn't much of a sale

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:20 AM

Let me be the first to complain that a five percent discount doesn't warrant a month of hype.  Besides the great price of the Word Biblical commentary I don't understand why it is necessary to promise an exciting sale and then basically not put it on sale. 

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:50 AM

David Kirk Davis:

Let me be the first to complain that a five percent discount doesn't warrant a month of hype.   

Of course, any discount is better than no discount.  However, I totally agree with you.  Nothing exciting about this at all.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:53 AM

Michael Childs:

David Kirk Davis:

Let me be the first to complain that a five percent discount doesn't warrant a month of hype.   

Of course, any discount is better than no discount.  However, I totally agree with you.  Nothing exciting about this at all.

Hear Hear!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:55 AM

I agree that 5% isn't worth shouting about. For many people, however, it's the dynamic pricing that is the most attractive part of this 'sale'.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:09 AM

Dynamic pricing is no bargain unless you really want the books!  I have bought a lot of Zondervan over the years, so I had all but 11 books - and none of those were commentaries or academic tomes. Yet my dynamic price was $304! No thanks.

Posts 383
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:21 AM

There are a few exciting pieces. The Judges volume is discounted to $9.99. That is a really good deal and one I had been refusing to pay $40 for. Unfortunately the new Joshua volumes are not available separately. Those were the three Word volumes that I wanted - one out three is not bad for Zondervan. The upgraded volumes (besides Joshua) are also cheap, if you wanted upgraded volumes. But at the end of the day, I was hoping for more as well. But I'll take the one bargain to the bank. Besides, I am right at my yearly book budget with three months to go. Zip it!

Posts 8944
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:28 AM

Mark Barnes:
I agree that 5% isn't worth shouting about.

Agreed. It actually was rather disappointing.

Mark Barnes:
For many people, however, it's the dynamic pricing that is the most attractive part of this 'sale'.

Yes.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:38 AM

Michael Childs:

David Kirk Davis:

It's sad to say, but I agree with you both!!!

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:46 AM

Reminds me of an old quote from a random worker in the Soviet Union:  "As long as they pretend to pay us, we will pretend to work."

As long as sheeple keep overpaying for resources, they'll keep overcharging for them.

Zondervan is one of the worst, or at least, has historically been one of the worst. There are badder apples, but most of them are strictly academic title publishers. I don't blame FL on this one. If I knew how to put a vertical line through the Z to make it look like a dollar-sign-doppelganger, I would. It would be poetic justice. (Maybe I should just write, "$ondervan".)

I usually don't have a problem finding a similar resource from another publisher, and so stay (for the most part) away from Zondervan. I refuse to reward that kind of behavior.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:53 AM

I had set aside some funds for this. Now I get to spend them elsewhere. Then again I always tend to see the cup half full.

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:02 AM

David Kirk Davis:

Agreed. Logos sales have become less and less appealing over the last few years. I remember when they were exciting to look forward to. Now, when I see an advertisement for an upcoming sale, I don't get anxious at all. The only sale lately that I thought was a good deal for the customer was the NIVAC and it wasn't even advertised, as if it was a secret, until someone who stumbled across the sale prices posted it in the forums. Tongue Tied

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:40 AM

I will add my $0.02 worth. Besides possibly an odd WBC volume or two, I will be observing the passover on this sale. I was going to pick up several titles if the discount was deep enough, but 5% is nowhere near enough to get me excited. 

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:50 AM

Danny Parker:
Besides, I am right at my yearly book budget with three months to go.

Ha, ha, how did you know my circumstance?

Posts 1573
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:50 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Barnes:
I agree that 5% isn't worth shouting about.

Agreed. It actually was rather disappointing.

Mark Barnes:
For many people, however, it's the dynamic pricing that is the most attractive part of this 'sale'.

Yes.

That's where I came down also. I was scanning through the books and kept seeing "5%" and just starting laughing. Good grief.

The dynamic pricing is a good thing, but unfortunately, the collections are still way too expensive for me.

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:52 AM

Matthew:

I will add my $0.02 worth. Besides possibly an odd WBC volume or two, I will be observing the passover on this sale. I was going to pick up several titles if the discount was deep enough, but 5% is nowhere near enough to get me excited. 

Hate to say this, but by adding your $0.02, you have reduced the percentage of savings by another percent. Wink

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:52 AM

Rick:

. The only sale lately that I thought was a good deal for the customer was the NIVAC and it wasn't even advertised, as if it was a secret, until someone who stumbled across the sale prices posted it in the forums. Tongue Tied

Just curious why NIVAC at 9.99 per volume is a good deal, but WBC at the same price isn't? WBC is more highly rated by many of the commentary review websites including www.bestcommentaries.com

It is a good opportunity to add volumes that may not be in one's current collection or to add those that are highly rated. I added Job, but did not add the revised or second edition volumes. At 9.99 I still may, but probably not.

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 8:57 AM

Doc B:
Zondervan is one of the worst, or at least, has historically been one of the worst.

And yet, for teachers who receive Z's academic catalog, you know that Z probably has one the most generous "exam copy" policies, that is, free.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:05 AM

Until Faithlife gets their act together I will not participate in "sales."

A Faithlife employee said the sale price on the Zondervan-Nelson Bundle Sale would remain static through September. He was woefully misinformed. I was going to buy the mega combo bundle. Purchase cancelled. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:22 AM

Mark Barnes:
I agree that 5% isn't worth shouting about. For many people, however, it's the dynamic pricing that is the most attractive part of this 'sale'.

I wish I could get excited about either. I picked up two WBC volumes I wanted. That will be all.

I don't really care personally as I picked up most of the Z stuff back when they first started publishing in Logos at some very good prices, and have purchased a few more titles released since that time. I was hoping that those who have started on Logos since that introductory sale would get some good prices. 5% discount isn't a good price. I doubt too many will be tempted.

As for the Nelson stuff, when you could get it for $0.20 on the dollar (or less) it might have been worth it. The prices now are ridiculous.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:31 AM

I won't point out that searching across a popular vendors website (which starts with A, and offers a digital device with a name reminiscent of a type of thin wood used to start fires) one might find a number of Thomas Nelson Libronix titles still available for sale for pennies on the dollar, and others that are of more value for sale ~80% cheaper.

The MacArthur bundle for instance (interesting to me since you can't buy many of his commentaries in Logos any more) in both its 1.0 and 2.0 iterations can both be had (At this moment) for less than 100$ together, the normal price is 529$ (not sure the sale price).

The Jimmy Swagert collection (one I'm not really interested in) costs the same as ONE jimmy swaggert title from logos directly. I'm sure there are other deals, and maybe some better deals....

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS