Can Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 94
John Crabtree | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 9 2015 3:46 PM

I know I believe I have seen this asked and answered before but I could not find my answer in searching for topics. I know logos can build a bibliography citation. Will it also build a footnote correctly?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 3:52 PM

Correctly? Mostly.  Somewhat. Sometimes.

Actually the answer is mixed depending on the resource.  I have used them in the past with no problems, and have had to edit others.

If you're using the footnotes for a graded or peer reviewed work, I would advise you to use Logos generated footnotes as "very close placeholders" but be sure to consult your copy of whatever standards you're using as well.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 94
John Crabtree | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 3:57 PM

Thanks I am going to ask one more dumb question I should know by now. How do I make Logos generate footnotes? I have answered the call to ministry and am in a seminary in SC preparing to go to the mission field. My financial background did not require footnotes in writing. So I am wanting something to help me get in the ball park for the first part of a paper I am currently working on so I have a map for resources I can not have in logos. 

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:21 PM

You would do well to check out Zotero (www.zotero.org). It is free, and can automate the production of footnotes and bibliography, and will import the details of a book from the ISBN number (or a number of other pieces of data). It has templates set up for most of the commonly-used style manuals. Using something like Zotero will also sort out footnotes and bibliography entires for non-Logos resources as well. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 946
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 4:53 PM

I have played with mendeley, zotero and sente at length and settled on sente for all my academic work. Except for short papers you will find it necessary to use a more focused referencing app than logos. Partly because Logos does not really help you with none logos resources and if you restrict your sources to logos only you will miss some important ones. We have a wide range of sources available to us in Logos but there are always important ones still to come.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 495
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 9:26 PM

I have been using Zotero for the last six years and I find it works great. It can be customized to the hilt, but it is not easy to do without some knowledge of CSL. It does have a user repository with a huge amount of citation styles, so finding the correct one is not that hard. Once setup, it is a breeze to use.It is available as a Firefox Addin or a standalone program.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 5:47 AM

John Crabtree:
Thanks I am going to ask one more dumb question I should know by now. How do I make Logos generate footnotes?

Footnotes are automatically appended to the copy process if you have selected at least ten words (I think that's the lower limit).  If you use WORD you can paste and the footnote appears (only somewhat properly formatted as stated.)  

If you paste into a program that doesn't display the footnote, you might try "paste as text" or something similar to at least get the appended footnote data.

I have never used any of the footnote/bibliography programs like Zotero, etc.  I don't trust them (because I've never tried them - It's a vicious circle).  When I've had papers on the line, I'll do a line by line comparison with the rules on my own.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 94
John Crabtree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:36 AM

Thanks everyone

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:30 AM

Its pretty good until you cite a journal article. I use it, and then double check.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS