Highlighting Retrieval

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4
randal garner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 21 2015 6:07 AM

I need some help.

When I'm highlighting in a specific book, how do I go back and look at all the highlights I made for that particular book.

It's actually easy on the phone app, but I can't figure it out in the normal desktop mode.

Could use some tips...thanks!

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 6:22 AM

This should help - https://wiki.logos.com/Finding_Highlighted_Text

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:15 AM

randal garner:
When I'm highlighting in a specific book, how do I go back and look at all the highlights I made for that particular book.

I think you are looking for "quotes" view... but on desktop, this only works per note document. Do you know how you have organized your highlight notes? The default is to place highlight notes into a pallet specific note document, but you may have changed this preference at some point (I recommend "resource specific," which would be very helpful in the situation you describe). 

If you kept the default, open the note document named after the palette(s) you used and click on the "quotes" view (i.e. "full," "compact," "split," "quote").

Does that answer your question?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27550
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:16 AM

Here is a screen shot of what I am talking about:

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4
randal garner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 7:51 AM

Thanks for your help, Alabama24.

Is it safe to say that I need to learn how to use Notes if I want to do this best?

Because I don't understand them yet!

Posts 21857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 8:07 AM

randal garner:
Is it safe to say that I need to learn how to use Notes if I want to do this best?

Understanding how Notes works and particularly in this context, how highlights are stored in notes files is helpful here

Basically for any particular Highlighting palettes you have three choices where the highlights go

Alabama's suggestion (which is a good one) is to use "resource-specific" so that all highlights for a particular resource go into a notes file of the same name,

Then opening that notes file in quotes view will show all the highlights done in that resource.

An alternative approach is to use an inline search within the resource to see all the highlights you have made as below

Posts 4
randal garner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:10 AM

Thanks, Graham.

You said,

"An alternative approach is to use an inline search within the resource to see all the highlights you have made as below."

Did you type something into the search tab there? Looks like it says (highlight)?

Posts 1647
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:20 AM

Another way when working inside of the resource is to make sure that "Annotation" is selected and use the arrows to go forward and backwards.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 21857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:27 AM

randal garner:
Did you type something into the search tab there? Looks like it says (highlight)?

Yes - it says "{Highlight *}"

Note the use of the wildcard

If you don't want to do this as an inline search you can use a regular search as well

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS