A definitive list of labels?

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 4:39 PM

HansK:
Suggestion: create a visible add and click search editor (something like Syntax searching) where all the options (strings) for a search can be found. And links to help on the various strings. So that all is in one place.

Yes, I had the same thought.

I think it could be done fairly simply. (By that I mean simple for the user, not simple for the programmers. Smile. What do you think, Eli?

My suggestion is that the { character triggers an autocomplete menu, just as the @ character does in a morph search.

Logos would then list all the search extensions. When you choose a search extension the menu would expand to suggest the appropriate attributes, and you can click the ones you want. Where users had to type specific information, Logos could either insert blanks or placeholders. It would look something like this:

The beauty of this suggestion (IMO!) is that it wouldn't add any clutter to the interface, and would be both simple and powerful. It may have some limitations (e.g. what if someone has hundreds of highlighting styles), but I think you could work around those by simply adding descriptive text to the suggestions, instead of every item from the list.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 4:44 PM

HansK:
Suggestion: create a visible add and click search editor (something like Syntax searching) where all the options (strings) for a search can be found. And links to help on the various strings. So that all is in one place.

That would be great!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 4:44 PM

Mark Barnes:

HansK:

Yes, I had the same thought.

I think it could be done fairly simply. (By that I mean simple for the user, not simple for the programmers. Smile. What do you think, Eli?

My suggestion is that the { character triggers an autocomplete menu, just as the @ character does in a morph search.

Logos would then list all the search extensions. When you choose a search extension the menu would expand to suggest the appropriate attributes, and you can click the ones you want. Where users had to type specific information, Logos could either insert blanks or placeholders. It would look something like this:

The beauty of this suggestion (IMO!) is that it wouldn't add any clutter to the interface, and would be both simple and powerful. It may have some limitations (e.g. what if someone has hundreds of highlighting styles), but I think you could work around those by simply adding descriptive text to the suggestions, instead of every item from the list.

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 4:48 PM

HansK:

Why not both? That is, a Help article and some kind of helper. Smile

Mark Barnes:
My suggestion is that the { character triggers an autocomplete menu, just as the @ character does in a morph search

... and the < character would trigger data type names. 

Coincidentally, we are working on the spec for just such a contraption (though it may look a little different than your mockup since I don't know how much secret knowledge of each label type we'll be able to pump into the software, but we'll see).

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 5:03 PM

Mark Barnes:
The beauty of this suggestion (IMO!) is that it wouldn't add any clutter to the interface, and would be both simple and powerful.

I think this is an excellent idea and exposes the search potential of Logos much more than a lengthy Help file article.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 6:08 PM

Mark Smith:
I think this is an excellent idea and exposes the search potential of Logos much more than a lengthy Help file article.

True, but a lengthy Help article I can get done today but improvements to the search term suggestion list I can only get you in six to twelve weeks at the earliest, maybe. Smile

Alright, technically I didn't finish the documentation today, but I'm 80-90% there I reckon.

And no, don't give me a raise. I'm rather embarrassed that this slipped through the cracks, since I've been intending to do it for many moons now. Also, Luke 17:7-10.

Have a good weekend, y'all.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 9:53 PM

Eli Evans:
True, but a lengthy Help article I can get done today but improvements to the search term suggestion list I can only get you in six to twelve weeks at the earliest, maybe. Smile

If we can only have one, let's wait 12 weeks and get the most helpful one.

If we can get both, that's fine with me. I'll benefit from it until the search term suggestion list (Mark's suggested implementation would be much better) gets completed.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:02 AM

I've updated the initial post to include the Intertext label which is available to Logos Now subscribers (I think it also requires 6.8 or above).

Posts 1889
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 11:14 AM

Should this go in a wiki page?

-Donnie

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 12:08 PM

Possibly in Search Help, where some are already documented. But they would need a source/list of Values and whether available in Logos Now only.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1288
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 2:41 PM

Mark Barnes:

• {Label Intertext} — Exposes the data behind the New Testament Use of the Old Testament interactive

1. Corpus
  2. Relationship
  3. Source

Actually, there may be a Target instead of a Source. For example, Mark 1:3 contains a Citation of Isaiah 40:3. So Mark 1:3 is marked with an Intertext label specifying Isaiah 40:3 as Source, and Isaiah 40:3 is marked as an Intertext specifying Mark 1:3 as Target.

Both Source and Target expect a Bible reference.

The only valid Relationship strings are Citation, Quotation, Allusion, and Echo.

Note that Corpus is always New Testament, but including corpus makes it easier to extend in the future with data from other corpora … Wink You also should be able to get a look at the data in the "Other References" section of the Information Window.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 11:36 AM

If you got an updated help resource along with 6.8, then check out these articles:

• Advanced Searching — rewritten and expanded.
  • Searchable Labels — lists all the properties of each label class, with examples. Current up through the Bullinger's Figures of Speech dataset. Note this article may lag just a little, since we keep shipping datasets in the period between writing new documentation and publishing/updating the help file.  
Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 12:05 PM

Yay! Thank you Eli!

I did notice one error. Under Other Datasets, and "Bible Books Supplemental Dataset", you have the property as "Comment" for each of the labels in that dataset. This property is in fact "Subcategory". I think you've confused it with the BookGuide label (which isn't documented in the help file), which does indeed have a property of "Comment". The BookGuide label isn't searchable.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 12:23 PM

All in a day's work. Or two.

The BookGuide label is delivered by the Bible Books Supplemental Dataset, but it is internal-only and not visible to (mere mortal) users, so we aren't planning to document it. You are correct that the other labels shipped by that same dataset (eg, "Background" and "Origin") have a Subcategory property rather than Comment. Oops! (I fixed that error; correct in the next update, whenever that is.)

Whatever you call it, that property isn't searchable right now because the BGC datatype reference it contains isn't searchable.

There's an open case for rearranging the labeling contained in this particular dataset to be better organized — the BGC dataset was one of the first label datasets we made, and our best practices have evolved since. There is also a case for making the BGC datatype searchable.

Posts 21916
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:03 PM

Eli Evans:

If you got an updated help resource along with 6.8, then check out these articles:

• Advanced Searching — rewritten and expanded.
  • Searchable Labels — lists all the properties of each label class, with examples. Current up through the Bullinger's Figures of Speech dataset. Note this article may lag just a little, since we keep shipping datasets in the period between writing new documentation and publishing/updating the help file.  

Nice job Eli - very helpful.

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:10 PM

Eli Evans:
The BookGuide label is delivered by the Bible Books Supplemental Dataset, but it is internal-only and not visible to (mere mortal) users, so we aren't planning to document it.

It's visible in the information panel, so I think it's worth mentioning.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:17 PM

That's a bug. Smile

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:26 PM

Why not add all these additional ways to search directly to the other templets in the search panel?  Also please allow us to save searches directly in the search panel.

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:47 PM

John Brumett:
Also please allow us to save searches directly in the search panel.

Did you know you can save searches with the Bookmarks tool?

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 1:51 PM

John Brumett:
Why not add all these additional ways to search directly to the other templets in the search panel?

Hi, John. If you mean the Search "cookbook" recipes, those have been extended greatly in recent releases to cover pretty much all of the advanced and label search types:

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS