A definitive list of labels?

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 13210
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 2:46 PM

Eli Evans:
Hi, John. If you mean the Search "cookbook" recipes, those have been extended greatly in recent releases to cover pretty much all of the advanced and label search types:

I'm not seeing that in 6.8. The three label examples are missing.

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 3:30 PM

I'm also on 6.8. There is a slim possibility that I am seeing something that hasn't been shipped yet. If so, call it a sneak peek. Wink

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 3:32 PM

Eli,

Since we are now ~10 weeks out from the discussion about a search "helper" implementation (a la Mark Barnes' mockup), is there any chance we might start seeing the beginnings of that in 6.9 (or worst, 6.10)? Smile

Thanks for your work on the help file!

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 3:46 PM

Ron:
Since we are now ~10 weeks out from the discussion about a search "helper" implementation (a la Mark Barnes' mockup), is there any chance we might start seeing the beginnings of that in 6.9 (or worst, 6.10)? Smile

Sorry, I don't have anything to announce on that.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2015 3:50 PM

Mark Barnes:

The Label examples are there in Basic search, but not Bible search. The searches produce 0 results in Bible search, so they're omitted.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 13210
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2015 1:08 AM

Dylan Rondeau:

Mark Barnes:

The Label examples are there in Basic search, but not Bible search. The searches produce 0 results in Bible search, so they're omitted.

The specific examples used in Basic Search don't work in Bible Search, but some labels do work in Bible search (Intertext, Psalm, Figure of Speech). I'd expect at least some of those to be documented in the Bible Search hints.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2016 7:43 PM

Mark Barnes:

The search extensions are great, as they allow us to search much more data than we used to be able to. However, it's really hard to keep track of all the labels that Logos is using. I'm attempting to compile a complete list.

1. Where can I find a list of official labels?
  2. Where can I find a list of attributes for each label?
  3. Where can I find a list of possible values for each attribute (where applicable)?

So far I'm aware of:

1. {Label Additional Information} — Populates the "See Also" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  2. {Label Background}  — Populates the "Background" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  3. {Label Bible Outline}   — I think this populates the "Outline" section of the Passage Guide
    • Reference
  4. {Label Book Guide} — I found this label in several resources, but it doesn't seem to be indexed. It appears to be a placeholder to point to other labels.
    • Comment
    • Reference
  5. {Label Canon} — Populates the "Canon" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  6. {Label Content}  — Populates the "Content" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  7. {Label Figure of Speech} — Documented and explained here
    • Description
    • Name
  8. {Label Form} — Populates the "Form" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  9. {Label Intertext} — Exposes the data behind the New Testament Use of the Old Testament interactive. Documentation here.
    1. Corpus
    2. Relationship
    3. Source
    4. Target
  10. {Label Journal Article} — Populates the "Journals" sections of Passage and Topic Guides
    • Title
    • Author
    • Topics
    • References
    • Date
    • Editor [not documented]
  11. {Label Lectionary Reading} — Presumably powers Lectionary functionality in various places
    • References
    • Title
  12. {Label Meaning} — Populates the "Meaning" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  13. {Label Objects} — Populates the "Objects" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  14. {Label Origin} — Populates the "Origins" section of Bible Book Guides in the Factbook
    • Reference
    • Subcategory
  15. {Label Personal Letter} — Populates the "Personal Letters" section of the Passage Guide in 6.8 beta 3 and above.
    • Author
    • Date
    • Recipient
  16. {Label Psalm} — Used in the Psalm Explorer
    • Attribution
    • Genre
    • Structure
  17. {Label Semantic Feature} — Populates the Propositional Outlines.
    • Category
  18. {Label Sermon} — Populates the "Sermons" section of Passage Guides
    • Creator
    • Title
    • Subtitle
    • Series
    • References
    • Date
    • Liturgical Date

Few of these are documented in the Logos 6 Help File. Most have never even been documented on these forums, so far as I can tell.

Logos 6 Help in 6.9 has another label:

Help also includes some more attributes

• Bible Book Supplement Labels
    • {Label Background} — situation, social & historical context of the book
      • Comment
      • Reference
    • {Label Canon} — canonicity (reception throughout church history), historicity, and authenticity of the book
      • Comment
      • Reference
    • {Label Content} — high-level discussions of the material in the book
      • Comment
      • Reference
    • {Label Form} — unity, composition, style, and structure of the book
      • Comment
      • Reference
    • {Label Meaning} — theme, emphasis, interpretation, theology, and message of the book
      • Comment
      • Reference
  • {Label Personal Letter} — Populates the "Personal Letters" section of the Passage Guide in 6.8 beta 3 and above.
    • Author
    • Recipient
    • Date
    • References
    • Theme
  • {Label Psalm} — Used in the Psalm Explorer
    • Attribution
    • Genre
    • Tag
    • Structure

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1884
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 4:29 AM

Mark Barnes:

My suggestion is that the { character triggers an autocomplete menu, just as the @ character does in a morph search.

Logos would then list all the search extensions. When you choose a search extension the menu would expand to suggest the appropriate attributes, and you can click the ones you want. Where users had to type specific information, Logos could either insert blanks or placeholders. It would look something like this:

Just wanted to put a plug in for this search helper and "[stir] up your sincere mind by way of reminder"! 

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:24 AM

Just such a specification exists. Now all we have to do is build it. Smile

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:51 AM

Eli Evans:
Now all we have to do is build it. Smile

That sounds easy. Wink

Seriously, it would be amazing!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 717
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 7 2017 6:32 PM

Mark Barnes:

My suggestion is that the { character triggers an autocomplete menu, just as the @ character does in a morph search.

Logos would then list all the search extensions. When you choose a search extension the menu would expand to suggest the appropriate attributes, and you can click the ones you want. Where users had to type specific information, Logos could either insert blanks or placeholders. It would look something like this:

The beauty of this suggestion (IMO!) is that it wouldn't add any clutter to the interface, and would be both simple and powerful. It may have some limitations (e.g. what if someone has hundreds of highlighting styles), but I think you could work around those by simply adding descriptive text to the suggestions, instead of every item from the list.

As the search capabilities of Logos continue to grow more comprehensive, I can see this interface being very helpful.

Any updates?

HP Pavilion Laptop PC; Windows 10 Home (64bit); i7-8565U @ 1.80GHz, 1.99GHZ ; 16GB of memory
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SM-T580) tablet; Android v8.1; Wi-Fi only; 16GB of storage; 32GB SD card.

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 4:35 PM

Tim Hensler:
Any updates?

As this is an old thread in an 'old' forum I would post the query in Logos 7 forum with a link to Mark's post.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2043
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

Tim Hensler:
Any updates?

As this is an old thread in an 'old' forum I would post the query in Logos 7 forum with a link to Mark's post.

I can short circuit that...

Nope, there are no updates on this.

Posts 1013
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 6:03 PM

Mark Smith:

Mark, I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at Rick's example for searching Figures of Speech.

We need a simple resource in Logos that functions like a glossary for search terms. It should be in Logos not online somewhere, like the wiki. Searching is one of Logos' strong points, but it has become impossible for me to keep up with.

Mark and Mark, I too was thinking the same thing when I saw Rick's another post on Figures of Speech. 

Question: Why not post this on the Logos 7 forum, also? I now see this is a reply to a very old post....sorry. 

Thoughts: In addition to a glossary, reversing the thought process a little, it would be nice if there was an easier way in which to see all of the labels associated with a particular section of text. For instance, I'd like to be able to highlight, say, Hosea 9, and easily see a window that says there are:

2 of {Label Additional Information}, and they are a and b. 

1 of {Label Background}  — Reference, and they are c and d. 

3 of {Label Figure of Speech}, and they are e and f. 

2 of {Label Intertext} Source, and they are g and h. 

Note that I haven't actually checked the passage vs. labels to see of they are applicable here...I'm just making up something to illustrate how nice it would be to discover the labels without actually searching for them, since, at times, one does not even know what to search for. I know these can be seen from guide sections (in part), and from the context menu, but in a larger passage, it is hard to see all of the labels, especially when they are grouped / nested. 

Just my .02 cents worth. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 8 2017 7:41 PM

Note the icon for label in context menu and the Information tool - not everything asked for but a start.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS