Is it really the Encyclopedia Britannica as we might of thought?

Page 3 of 14 (262 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 261 Replies | 21 Followers

Posts 28462
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 8:31 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I wanted to acknowledge that we've seen this thread and are trying to get to the bottom of this. We'll reply as soon as we have clarity.

Thanks Phil. Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 8:34 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I wanted to acknowledge that we've seen this thread and are trying to get to the bottom of this. We'll reply as soon as we have clarity.

Glad to hear this Phil. I would rather that Faithlife "get to the bottom of this," as you put it, than employees posting potentially conflicting responses or having the information provided change multiple times. This is a good first step. Having Bob chime in here at some point would be a good second (or third, if need be) step. I am trying to withhold judgement until I know what Faithlife's official response will be, but I am currently having difficulty seeing the benefit to keeping this resource rather than returning it.

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 8:53 AM

Looks like this will be the first resource I've ever returned.  Ill wait a bit still, but I was leary from the start.  Knowing what full encyclopedias cost (especially good ones) the $99 seemed ok.  But to get this.. well I like Mike's $2.99 price.

Posts 3963
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:11 AM

If I had to guess this is the result of internal miscommunications both at Logos and E.B..

If not however, I too am disappointed.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & Baptist Platinum.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:14 AM

abondservant:
If I had to guess this is the result of internal miscommunications both at Logos and E.B..

This certainly does seem to be the case. What's worrying, however, is why that wasn't picked up prior to release.

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:16 AM

Well users were asking for a long time for sample pages etc.  It seems like Logos clearly had no idea what they were getting and just sold everyone on "marketing" and shiny objects -- and they had no idea what they were selling.

Posts 201
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:23 AM

I too am disappointed by what we got. This looks like the first purchase of mine that will be returned for a refund. I will wait to hear back from Faithlife first.

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:33 AM

Yes, I am hoping that Faithlife got duped by the Britannica people, and then they accidentally duped us. I VERY HIGHLY doubt Faithlife would intentionally hide the very information that would have prevented many of us from purchasing this.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:39 AM

James Taylor:
Yes, I am hoping that Faithlife got duped by the Britannica people, and then they accidentally duped us.

Personally, I doubt anyone deliberately duped anyone else.

Don't forget Hanlon's razor.

Posts 2042
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:39 AM

I was really surprised at this resource and also plan to return it.  I am waiting for Phil and others to 'get to the bottom of this', but this clearly is not only not ready to be in logos (while there may be some links, I have seen none), it also was not what was advertised, and not worth what I spent to have it

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:41 AM

Mark Barnes:
I doubt anyone deliberately duped anyone

Agreed.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 710
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:51 AM

Travis Walter:

Well users were asking for a long time for sample pages etc.  It seems like Logos clearly had no idea what they were getting and just sold everyone on "marketing" and shiny objects -- and they had no idea what they were selling.

Correct - we did ask repeatedly for samples and did not see anything until a few days before it was released. And what was provided was just a table of contents and a screenshot of part of one article. The issue is that the marketing hype was in overdrive about this product and it doesn't even come close to meeting the hype. It is hard to understand the disconnect. We'll have to wait for FL to give an explanation. Maybe Bob is pulling his book off the shelf...

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 9:56 AM

Way back when this resource was first posted I thought (I don't know why) that it was going to be the old historic edition of EB.  I think I'll back out of this.  I must say that this is the first time I have been THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED by Logos.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:00 AM

George Somsel:
the old historic edition of EB

Is this the one you were expecting, George?

https://www.logos.com/product/33266/encyclopedia-britannica 

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2594
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:03 AM

There's also a historic edition planned:

(Very clear communication what's gonna be included. I like that.)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:04 AM

Jan Krohn:

There's also a historic edition planned:

(Very clear communication what's gonna be included. I like that.)

I think so.  What's the situation with this?  Has it shipped?  Is it nearing shipping?  Never mind, it's still in CP.  I would suggest that all those who got the kiddie edition and aren't pleased get a refund and bit $100 on this one.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 292
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:08 AM

I preordered at the $99 price.  I cancelled Monday night after I saw the one screenshot.  It was not even close to what I expected.  I thought this was to be a flagship product for Noet.  I simply cannot believe they let this one through.

Posts 536
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:23 AM

I didnt know I was preordering kids encyclopedia for $ 199.00

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 10:56 AM

Jan Krohn:
By the way, can anyone confirm the other marketing promises?

They've clearly shipped the wrong product.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:00 AM

On the question of word count, I counted 156,593 words up to and including the article on Airline. That's 272 articles, or an average of 576 words per article. If there were 19,000 articles, and the average was maintained, that would be more than 10 million words.

Page 3 of 14 (262 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS