Is it really the Encyclopedia Britannica as we might of thought?

Page 4 of 14 (262 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 261 Replies | 21 Followers

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:17 AM

Wow, detective Mark, they definitely aren't pulling any fast ones on you :-) Great work. This has got to be the mix up of the year

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:18 AM

Mark Barnes:
If there were 19,000 articles

Is there a way to search to find the number of articles included?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1011
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:19 AM

Lets not forget that the product information says:

"In Logos, this resource is more powerful than ever. Link directly to primary sources or other literature already in your Logos library. Look up “John Calvin” in EBNE, find a reference to The Institutes, and with a click you’re taken straight to its full text."

Only it doesn't, for Logos to not get around to tagging there books seems quite remarkable to me as this is what they say is at the heart of there much vaunted added value. It is not even as if there is that much to tag in such a limited resource as this cut down kiddies version.

Posts 6609
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:19 AM

Sounds like Britannica sent the wrong file, or Logos was working on two Encyclopedias and the wrong one was developed and shipped.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1011
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:23 AM

Lynden Williams:

Sounds like Britannica sent the wrong file, or Logos was working on two Encyclopedias and the wrong one was developed and shipped.

Whichever way you look at this Logos does not come out of this looking well, and the quality control is non existent. This is just not professional. 

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:23 AM

Mark Barnes:
I counted 156,593 words up to and including the article on Airline. That's 272 articles, or an average of 576 words per article. If there were 19,000 articles, and the average was maintained, that would be more than 10 million words.

Or...19,000 kids articles that are only 8 words long Stick out tongue

Posts 276
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:43 AM

We can only speculate at this point, but there is nothing accidental about book publishing. These things are planned months, if not years, in advance, and put down in contracts. Both Faithlife and EB should have known very well what they were going to sell, and how they were going to sell it.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:44 AM

Lynden Williams:

I'm with you, Lynden. I believe the wrong file was delivered and worked on. I can see how the tagging team just concentrated on the tagging without judging the content. 

This will all get worked out. We have thirty days.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6609
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:54 AM

Super.Tramp:
This will all get worked out. We have thirty days

Don't rush to return. Logos has a reputation of going beyond the call of duty in making things right.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:59 AM

Lynden Williams:

Don't rush to return. Logos has a reputation of going beyond the call of duty in making things right.

agreed 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:01 PM

Mike Pettit:
Whichever way you look at this Logos does not come out of this looking well, and the quality control is non existent. This is just not professional. 

Nope. I have to agree with you.  It looks bad.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5290
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:05 PM

Mike Pettit:

Lynden Williams:

If Faithlife wanted to find a way to ruin it's credibility with Noet users this was it. Offering a children's encyclopedia at a ridiculous price when they were promised:

• "Features trusted and comprehensive scholarship from world-renowned experts"

I see they wisely removed it from being able to order it. 

-Dan

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:06 PM

I'm starting to be in the camp that this was deliberate.   Clearly the source material had to be in hand weeks ago and they clearly knew what it was and wasn't.  This product should have been pulled and delayed.   This really lies with the product manager of this resource.  The ball was clearly dropped. 

Posts 888
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:31 PM

Do you think Logos has got too big, too fast and quality control has suffered.

The focus needs to shift from mass production, back to quality product.

P A

Posts 5290
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:52 PM

P A:

Do you think Logos has got too big, too fast and quality control has suffered.

The focus needs to shift from mass production, back to quality product.

P A

I want to say AMEN. But Faithlife, it it want's to be relevant in world of academics needs to offer things like this...

I was expecting http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Britannica-Ultimate-Edition-2015/dp/1625132964

and received something more like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopaedia-Britannica-2006-Childrens-Encyclopedia/dp/1593392575

I was willing to pay double the price to get this scholarly work in Logos. People can get access to full Britiannica on their iPAD/iPhone for $14.99 a year. I am half guessing that if FL decided to offer us the full encyclopedia it would be for several hundred dollars. Students and Christians should both be prudent with their limited resources and if Faithlife is not able to do what other companies can, maybe they should stay out of the market place.

-Dan

Posts 567
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 12:59 PM

The silence from Faith life regarding this issue is starting to get frustrating. 

Somebody please tell us something.

Bob are you out there? 

What happened? and what if, anything are you planning on doing about this? 

Tell us something. The silence comes across as implying that you don't care, which I believe is not the case. 

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:01 PM

Jesse Blevins:

The silence from Faith life regarding this issue is starting to get frustrating. 

Somebody please tell us something.

Bob are you out there? 

What happened? and what if, anything are you planning on doing about this? 

Tell us something. The silence comes across as implying that you don't care, which I believe is not the case. 

Earlier in the thread, Phil Gons said it was being looked into. A response will be coming. I understand they may need some time to evaluate the situation.

Posts 1585
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:02 PM

Phil responded here 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 9181
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 1:05 PM

Average Joe:
Earlier in the thread, Phil Gons said it was being looked into

Here's the link.

I will be patient. I don't intend to keep the current product as it has no value to me. If it is discovered they got the wrong files from Britannica and they will produce the encyclopedia they told us to expect and will honor the pricing we took advantage of, that will, of course, be satisfactory. We shall see.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 4 of 14 (262 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS