Any ecclesiology in Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 14 2010 1:37 PM

I'm currently investigating the ecclesiology of the New testament writings. The IVP dictionaries have several interesting articels but I'm amazed that the AYBD does not seem to have any real article on the subject.

Is this really the case?

Please point me to any articles in the AYBD that I can't seem to find. I've really looked! There is an article about the Pauline metaphor (if it is only just a metaphor) of the church being the Body of Christ, but that's all I can find. It seems inconceivable that such a great dictionary would be lacking such a crucial subject.

I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 18860
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 2:25 PM

Andreas Holmberg:

I'm currently investigating the ecclesiology of the New testament writings. The IVP dictionaries have several interesting articels but I'm amazed that the AYBD does not seem to have any real article on the subject.

Is this really the case?

Please point me to any articles in the AYBD that I can't seem to find. I've really looked! There is an article about the Pauline metaphor (if it is only just a metaphor) of the church being the Body of Christ, but that's all I can find. It seems inconceivable that such a great dictionary would be lacking such a crucial subject.

I appreciate any help and suggestions.

There's an article on New Testament Koinōnia (Vol 1, p. 1103) which is probably the closest to what you want. The concept of "ecclesiology" in some people's minds (evidently including the editors of AYBD) applies to an organized "church" which didn't exist in biblical times. A search for "new testament ecclesiology" OR "NT ecclesiology" in my entire extensive library found only 10 hits, two of which were to an article by S. Brown titled "Koinonia as the Basis of New Testament Ecclesiology?" Another was to the article on TEMPLE in the New Dictionary of Biblical Theology, which might be of some help to you. The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church has a paragraph under Church -- (2) New Testament and it gives a bibliography on NT ECCLESIOLOGY, though probably most if not all of these resources are not available in Logos. However one was to the entry on ἐκκλησία in TDNT, which looks like it would be helpful to you.

I know that's not all within AYBD which is what you were asking for, but I hope it helps.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2010 6:49 PM

While not directly Ecclesiology the AYBD entry on Christianity talks about how the Christian communities organized themselves regionally which relates to ecclesiology. Ministry in the Early Church might have some pertinent info too. Also, Worship, Early Christian looks promising.

I procured these links by running a search for the word "bishop" in AYBD figuring that an article relating to ecclesiology would have this word. If I were researching further I would search for elder and other related words. The articles that caught my eye might not be helpful to you, but try to search for terms that would typically show up in an ecclesiology article.

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:15 PM

Thank you very, very much Rosie and Kevin!!

You really pointed me to some very useful and helpful articles! I've been away and not entering the forum. That's the reason for my latecoming reply.

Again, thak you!

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS