OT: For those teaching themselves Greek....this is a very good resource.

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:20 AM

As one who has been teaching himself Greek for far too long... :(

I'd like to post a resource that I came across that seems to be useful.

It's a set of online flash videos by Ted Hildebrandt, teaching the basics of Koine Greek.

It's interesting and in my mind, worth going through. For those who know this stuff it will be a snooze fest....

http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/New_Testament_Greek/Video/00-GTLearnVideos.html

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 59
Bert Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 3:45 AM

Robert Pavich:
t's a set of online flash videos by Ted Hildebrandt, teaching the basics of Koine Greek.

Hildebrand also has a computer based program that goes through the exercises and lets you drill the facts home. I am busy using it at the moment as well as the animated lectures mentioned.

Bert Barnes

Acer Extensa, 4gig Ram, 160gig 5400 HD, Core 2 duo processor, WinXP

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:03 AM

Bert Barnes:

Hildebrand also has a computer based program that goes through the exercises and lets you drill the facts home. I am busy using it at the moment as well as the animated lectures mentioned.

Bert,

Yes...that's a great app.."Parsons Greek Tutor"....I love it....well worth the 29.00

Robert Pavich

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:29 AM

Robert Pavich:
It's interesting and in my mind, worth going through. For those who know this stuff it will be a snooze fest....

Actually it was fun Robert, took me back many years to a room full of people chanting the parsing forms of the omega verbs. Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:32 AM

Terry Poperszky:

Actually it was fun Robert, took me back many years to a room full of people chanting the parsing forms of the omega verbs. Smile

My wife laughed pretty hard when she heard me doing it... Embarrassed

Robert Pavich

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:49 PM

Robert, did you notice this link to the textbook that accompanies the lectures?

http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/New_Testament_Greek/Text/MNTGTextbokWorkbook/MNTGTextbokWorkbook.html

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:20 AM

Terry Poperszky:

Robert, did you notice this link to the textbook that accompanies the lectures?

http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/New_Testament_Greek/Text/MNTGTextbokWorkbook/MNTGTextbokWorkbook.html

Oh wow! No I didn't!

Thank you so much Terry....that's great!

Now if this stuff could just magically stay in my brain.... Embarrassed

Robert Pavich

Posts 484
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 6:02 AM

Looks pretty good! I think I will promote this at our church. There are a couple of folks that I think would benefit. Thanks for the link.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 6:29 AM

NordZootman:
Looks pretty good! I think I will promote this at our church. There are a couple of folks that I think would benefit. Thanks for the link.

And don't forget the "drilling software" it's great..

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Tutor-Parsons-Technology/dp/1572643528

Robert Pavich

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:04 AM

I agree with the suggestions concerning these other products, and I understand they were given to help others out, but I must confess, I certainly do not understand the rules concerning being able to mention other resources and linking to them.

I did something like this last week and some of the older members of the board said it broke the rules of posting, was bad manners and it was taken down.

I mentioned a free product by name just like this post has, and just like this post Logos has a product that this free product could be said competes with it.  This product on this page competes with all of the Logos products that teach languages, and to make things worse this product has a link to it.

I see nothing wrong with doing this and I understand the motive is to help others, but I have been trying to understand the gudelines and now I don't understand if this type of post is alowed or not, in my post I asked for someone from Logos to rule on a post like this, and I got no answer other than my post was taken down.

Once again I would ask Logos to explain if these types of posts are allowed or not,  I think they should be, they mean no harm and can help a lot of people but they could cause Logos to lose a sale.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:11 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I agree with the suggestions concerning these other products, and I understand they were given to help others out, but I must confess, I certainly do not understand the rules concerning being able to mention other resources and linking to them.

Jim, for me the part of the rules that I focus on is "competitor" If a software does something that Logos does, then it is a competing product and I won't mention it, or whine at other posters when they do. For me, what Robert pointed out, is not competition, if anything it enhances our ability to use what Logos provides.

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I see nothing wrong with doing this and I understand the motive is to help others, but I have been trying to understand the gudelines and now I don't understand if this type of post is alowed or not

Jim, this IMHO is a grey area, and as with all those types of areas, we must use our own conscience. I have posted some things that I thought were innocent and ended up having to duck and run for cover. Other times I actually called Logos because I thought that something was so blatant that it needed to be removed, and was politely told to chill. Be convinced in your own mind/conscience and get ready to be bombarded by people who both agree and disagree with you.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:24 AM

Hmm...

I don't know...maybe I don't understand the rules either...

I was under the impression that if it was a product that either Logos sells and you mention a cheaper place, then you take money out of Logos' pocket or you mention a directly competing product where someone might have bought Logos' product but they would be pursuaded to buy a competitors product,  then that was bad...

But to my knowledge, they don't make any Greek drilling software.....

I'm not the final word but that's the way I understood it....

Robert Pavich

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 9:50 AM

Terry, one of the current problems that I see, is the way this rule is being  enforced currently, a few "old timers" appear to decide what is right and wrong rather than Logos deciding, by simply making the policy clear this would be done away with.  To me this makes Logos look bad.

I do not intend to hurt Logos, but rather desire to see more people helped, such as was the purpose of this post.

Personally I have seen way too many people attacked for doing a simple act of kindness, because some one else thinks it will damage Logos.

I can certainly see not allowing advertisement of other companies, but to rule out free resources to help those that can not afford something that Logos sells, appears to be petty. 

For example there are a lot of free public domain resources, made to work in free bible study programs made just for publlic domain resources, but it is considered wrong to point others to these resources because they might cause Logos to lose a sale. 

I in fact take advantage of the free public domain resources so that I can spend more on my Logos copyrighted resources.  but on top of that I also have a community pricing bid on every one of the public domain resources that Logos has!!!  Why??? Because if it is in Logos the resource is more useful, and I know that from having the public domain book in a less useful format for some other program. But I am still thankful to have public domain books in a less useful format than none at all!

And yet some of the "old timers" have decide it is not polite to mention there is a work around for those that do not have unlimited resources...free programs!

Is Logos really threatened by such resources or do they actually end up helping Logos in the long run???

I know from using free programs that I would love to have all my public domain books in Logos, but I have over 5000 such books even at only 5 dollars each I can not afford that!  But I will work towards that goal as Logos comes out with the books, but mean while I still have many of those books in a program that is way better than nothing!

However is such free resources actually hurting Logos like some believe, than I would gladly not mention those resources on this site, but if they actually help Logos in the long run, like I believe they do, I want to mention them!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:06 AM

Robert, I understand your point, but I hope you can understand my point, for example let's not even talk about if Logos has a product that competes with the free product you mentioned, the guidelines clearly state:

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.

This product does not appear to fit these guidelines, since it is not a Logos product in anyway!

However, it is a great product and I think others should know about, but if I understand the first guideline it doesn't appear to be with in that guideline.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:24 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:

I can certainly see not allowing advertisement of other companies, but to rule out free resources to help those that can not afford something that Logos sells, appears to be petty.  

I agree, especially when Bob speaks positively of e-sword (freeware) as meeting a market that Logos currently doesn't target (or doesn't even want to, it seems, because of the support costs):

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9906/83901.aspx#83901

That sounds to me like freeware and Logos are non-competitors.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2940
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:39 AM

It is not like Logos (historically) to squash conversation about complementary or even competing products. It has only been in the last few months that policies have been implemented. And I think that as long as we all play fair and our intention is to help one another they policy will not be strictly enforced. If we start complaining and fighting about policy with each other, that might be another matter.

This is a helpful post, and I would be surprised if anybody from Logos (except may Dan :-)) has an issue with it.

Bob (CEO) has historically been hands off about these types of things. Let's just be thoughtful and not malicious towards Logos and I bet the policies will not have to be enforced to the letter of the law. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:17 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
Terry, one of the current problems that I see, is the way this rule is being  enforced currently, a few "old timers" appear to decide what is right and wrong rather than Logos deciding, by simply making the policy clear this would be done away with.  To me this makes Logos look bad.

Jim, all I can say is follow your conscience. If the "Old Timers' (or New comers for that matter) disagree, consider whether they have a point. If they have a point, fine. If in your opinion (based on what Logos has requested) they don't, then gently state your case and then ignore the firestorm of controversy that will follow Big Smile . Now if Logos comes back and says you stepped over the line, that is a different matter entirely.

For instance, now that you mention it, I can see where Robert's post (and mine) violate the rules as written, and you may well be correct. But with that said, I don't think that it does violate the intent of those rules. Now I may be wrong, and if I am, I am more than willing to accept correction from the writer of the rules (i.e. Logos). I am doing what my conscience dictates.

Frankly, I am surprised at how well this forum functions given that it is populated by self professed sinners who are being forced to operate under grace.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:46 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.

This product does not appear to fit these guidelines, since it is not a Logos product in anyway!

However, it is a great product and I think others should know about, but if I understand the first guideline it doesn't appear to be with in that guideline.

In Christ,

Jim

Jim,

Actually you are correct..that was my mistake....I had forgotten about the latest guidelines....

I was in the wrong for bringing it up....

But that does bring up a good point....could there be an OT forum where we could tout "non-competitive" products to help make us better bible students?

Robert Pavich

Posts 28256
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:55 AM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
current problems that I see, is the way this rule is being  enforced currently, a few "old timers" appear to decide what is right and wrong rather than Logos deciding, by simply making the policy clear this would be done away with. 

I'm sorry that you see it this way. It is common for forums to request self-governing when the company does not employ a forum moderator. I don't see ambiguity in the guidelines. I suspect what you are seeing is the result of individuals making choices as to whether it's their responsibility to point out a post is called out. I pick and choose which posts I respond to because I don't want a reputation as an "enforcer"; however, I feel an obligation to step in when there is a blatant re-offender.

To me the guidelines merely state what is common courtesy and normal practice in forums. At times, we treat the forums as chat rooms which causes most of the difficulties - hence, we received formal guidelines. And as a minor correction, I am not an "old timer", I am merely old.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:00 PM

Robert Pavich:
I was in the wrong for bringing it up....

errrrr. Robert I want to post a jab like the olden days so badly, but I am resisting the urge.  I will edify...I will edify.

You have been a true and consistent help to many in these forums. God bless ya. If you ever convince Logos to start an off topic forum please let me know in case I miss the thread :-)

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS