Encyclopedia Britannica Update

Page 15 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next >
This post has 336 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:42 PM

Mark Nolette:
what articles made it and which ones did not.

After checking back, Compton's actually has an article for every omission you mentioned, except Origen. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 2312
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:43 PM

James Taylor:

Yes it's still an incredible deal for those who got this along with Compton's for 100 bucks. I think most of what's been omitted will hopefully be treated somewhere else in my Library, and if not, then I guess I'll just have to google who the Beatles were Stick out tongue

EBNE still tells you about the Yellow Submarine.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 3:58 AM

I haven't looked at Compton's yet. When I read that Compton's was the "kids' version" of EB, I assumed it wouldn't have a lot to offer. Maybe that's a hasty judgment. I was just trying to make sense out of what EBNE included and what they didn't. I couldn't figure it out! Maybe it had something to do with article length. As I look around EBNE some more, I'm finding that the history end isn't quite as bad as I thought at first. But you've got to do a little hunting first. 

Yes, I see that John Lennon and Paul McCartney got in while the Beatles didn't! ("Got to admit it's getting better...")

One more little peeve: EBNE, how can you have an article about Triceratops and leave out T. Rex? Oh well, on to Compton's! And there's always (his voice drops to a whisper) Wikipedia..

I'm looking at Compton's. The articles tend to be shorter than EBNE, but it's not bad at all.  A good supplement to EBNE. The two together make for a great resource.  

Posts 293
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:54 AM

check again, search for 

Tyrannosaurus rex

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 8:58 AM

James Taylor:
After checking back, Compton's actually has an article for every omission you mentioned, except Origen. 

That's why I made a collection of both EBNE and Compton's so I can search both at the same time.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 9:09 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I made a collection of both EBNE and Compton's so I can search both at the same time.

Smarty pants :-)

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 20
Phil Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 9:48 AM

Bruce Dunning:

James Taylor:

That's why I made a collection of both EBNE and Compton's so I can search both at the same time.

Great idea Bruce.  After opening the search window, selecting basic search, and setting it to "search All Text in Encyclopedia Britannica"  (the name I gave the collection of the 4 resources),  I then dragged the tab for the pane (that says "Search") up to the shortcut bar.   Now I can search the EB collection whenever I need with a single click.   Thanks for the collection idea.

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 11:55 AM

Phil Miller:

Bruce Dunning:

James Taylor:

Great idea Bruce.  After opening the search window, selecting basic search, and setting it to "search All Text in Encyclopedia Britannica"  (the name I gave the collection of the 4 resources),  I then dragged the tab for the pane (that says "Search") up to the shortcut bar.   Now I can search the EB collection whenever I need with a single click.   Thanks for the collection idea.

Excellent ideas - Bruce and Phil! I now have my little EB search icon in the shortcut bar. Thanks!

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 4:18 PM

Bruce Dunning:

James Taylor:

Great suggestion and one I will do as well. Two other questions along this line:

1. Should I prioritize both Britannica and Compton's in my library so when looking something up, if it's not covered in Britannica, it'll flow over to Compton's?

2. Is there a way to link Britannica and Compton's together as a "Custom Series" (similar to how commentaries work) so if I type in a term in the Britannica find box and it's not found, it flows over to Compton's?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 898
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 4:34 PM

Nathan Parker:

Bruce Dunning:

James Taylor:

Great suggestion and one I will do as well. Two other questions along this line:

1. Should I prioritize both Britannica and Compton's in my library so when looking something up, if it's not covered in Britannica, it'll flow over to Compton's?

2. Is there a way to link Britannica and Compton's together as a "Custom Series" (similar to how commentaries work) so if I type in a term in the Britannica find box and it's not found, it flows over to Compton's?

Thanks!

I can confirm that just setting the series name the same has no effect. But I imagine this would be a real pain, because even if it worked, you would have to type "Beatles, The" for example. The only advantage is that you can "Prioritize this Series" when you name them both EBNE. Which is still a pretty minor boost.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 9:13 PM

Justin Gatlin:

Nathan Parker:

Bruce Dunning:

James Taylor:

Thanks!

I can confirm that just setting the series name the same has no effect. But I imagine this would be a real pain, because even if it worked, you would have to type "Beatles, The" for example. The only advantage is that you can "Prioritize this Series" when you name them both EBNE. Which is still a pretty minor boost.

Sounds good. So basically it's better to:

1. Follow Bruce's suggestion and create a collection of both for when I need to search both at the same time

and

2. Prioritize both in my library so if EBNE doesn't have the word when running a look up, then the search will flow to Compton's

And basically forgo setting them up as a series?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2016 10:08 PM

How big was the file again? I missed glancing at it.

Edit: nvm, just saw it on the previous page. :)

Posts 421
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 3:15 AM

Thanks Faithlife for bringing the Encyclopedia Britannica (Noet version) to our computers.  I appreciate the great efforts that were no doubt made to address the issues which people raised and to bring customer satisfaction. My thanks also to the many people who worked to bring this project to completion. Keep well  Paul

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:26 AM

I noticed that several major world religions made it onto the list of 1200 word+ entries. Among the list of articles: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity. This is a positive thing. Two articles included on the provided list seem very close to two other major world religions. 
  • Bahia made the list with 1292 words. Should this be the article for "Bahāʾī Faith" instead? Bahia is a small state in eastern Brazil.
  • Sikkim made the list with 2140 words. Should this be the article for "Sikhism" instead? Sikkim is one of the smallest states in India.

Thank you for considering this,

-WR82

Posts 688
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:59 AM

I think the thing here is - what does the EB say - then the NoetEdition should have the same. The fault if any is present would be in the original publication.

However if the conversion is wrong then it is for Faithlife to correct.

Shalom

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 10:20 AM

WR82:

I noticed that several major world religions made it onto the list of 1200 word+ entries. Among the list of articles: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity. This is a positive thing. Two articles included on the provided list seem very close to two other major world religions. 

• Bahia made the list with 1292 words. Should this be the article for "Bahāʾī Faith" instead? Bahia is a small state in eastern Brazil.
  • Sikkim made the list with 2140 words. Should this be the article for "Sikhism" instead? Sikkim is one of the smallest states in India.

-WR82

In the EB 2013 Ultimate
Baha'i faith weighs in at 1,134 words
Sikhism has 11,780 words

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 10:39 AM

Robert Harner:

WR82:

-WR82

In the EB 2013 Ultimate
Baha'i faith weighs in at 1,134 words
Sikhism has 11,780 words

Thanks, Robert. "Sikhism" comes in at 1006 words in Compton's and does not have an entry in Britannica.

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep Noet version or return it and order the EB 2013 DVD from Britannica's site and install that on my computer.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 2:37 PM

I'm ordering the DVD which is complete, searchable and WAY cheaper too. Don't need clutter in my library. As I'm seeing the importance of having a secondary or even a third software to study the Bible, price and usability are a huge factor in deciding what to buy or what not to buy in Logos  (Though I'm still buying a lot from Logos). Even at $100 bucks just to have limited articles doesn't seem justifiable to me, at least now. 

DAL

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:39 PM

DAL:

I'm ordering the DVD which is complete, searchable and WAY cheaper too. Don't need clutter in my library. As I'm seeing the importance of having a secondary or even a third software to study the Bible, price and usability are a huge factor in deciding what to buy or what not to buy in Logos  (Though I'm still buying a lot from Logos). Even at $100 bucks just to have limited articles doesn't seem justifiable to me, at least now. 

DAL

i have to agree that the Encyclopedia Britannica Noet Edition is disappointing. It looks like the first resource that I will be returning for a refund. I downloaded the free Britannica app on my iPad and it has all the same entries (albeit without Logos tagging). And it includes Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis, and the Beatles!

I can use the $100 much more productively.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:59 PM

Stephen Terlizzi:

i have to agree that the Encyclopedia Britannica Noet Edition is disappointing. It looks like the first resource that I will be returning for a refund. I downloaded the free Britannica app on my iPad and it has all the same entries (albeit without Logos tagging). And it includes Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis, and the Beatles!

I can use the $100 much more productively.

Agape,

Steve

And my iPad/iPhone EB app has an entry on Ozzy Osbourne too! Oh yeah! LOL A lot of religious articles are written by Bible scholars too.  I saw E.P. Sanders wrote the entry on Jesus.  So yeah, I might just settle for the app now, since it free and is still quotable... :-)

Page 15 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > | RSS