Books that should be added to passage guide results

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 23 2015 12:27 AM

Many of us modify our passage guides to include results from books other than those that are type:bible-commentary. My question for my fellow forum users is this - what books have you found to be the most advantageous to include in the passage guide results that are not there by default? I am looking for specific books, not necessarily collections (though I will take those too!). An example of such a book might be this:

When Critics Ask by Geisler and Howe

https://www.logos.com/product/26316/when-critics-ask 

It is not a commentary per se, but it is arranged according to Bible passages and has brief discussion regarding questions people may ask about a given passage. 

That is one book to get us started.  Who has other suggestions? Hint - to see a list of books the community has already suggested for this sort of use, open your library and type communitytag:commentarynonversified.

Posts 26028
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 1:05 AM

Roza, Devin. Fulfilled in Christ: The Sacraments—A Guide to Symbols and Types in the Bible and Tradition. Bellingham, WA: Verbum, 2014.

Ginzberg, Louis, Henrietta Szold, and Paul Radin. Legends of the Jews. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 2003.

Neusner, Jacob. The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2011.

Goppelt, Leonhard. Typos: The Typological Interpretation of the Old Testament in the New. Translated by Donald H. Madvig. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1982.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 4:53 AM

Hi Matthew,

I have attached a screenshot of "My Passage Guide" below. I use this in conjunction with the Cited By tool to access other resources in my library using my tags and collections. The books MJ referenced would be found in the background collection in My PG. The book you reference would be found in the apologetics collection in the Cited By tool. Most of my layouts include both My PG and the CB tool linked to my default Bible. This default layout allows me to follow questions raised in the text to my library quickly.

The four collections included in My PG are Background, Exegesis and Hermeneutics, Bible Introductions and Bible Handbooks. I have the first two collections because they usually directly relate to my reading and study of the Biblical text. The second two are resources I do not refer to directly, but often contain nuggets that I would have missed. I do not use dynamic rules for the collections as my entire library is tagged, but you can find rules at some of the groups at www.Faithlife.com.

I also create some special Passage Guides for more targeted study, such as background, theology and application. I use these in specific layouts when I really want to focus on certain steps in my Bible study.

So you have two ways I use custom PGs and examples of what is included as collections.  I have written a guide that describe these items in more detail that you can find here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/101279.aspx

If you want more information on actual books included in any collection, let me know.

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 6:45 AM

@MJ

Those all look like books that would be good to add to the Passage Guide. Unfortunately I do not own any of them Sad

@John

I will definitely check out your guide when I have time. I like that you made several specialized guides for various study needs. I tried putting together a massive guide once that incorporated pretty much all of that into a "master" guide, but it became too unwieldy. Your approach is much more sensible.

I have seen where several users divided their commentaries into three or four sub-collections. I was experimenting this week and came up with a more expanded version of some of the schemes I have seen used. In its current form it looks like this:

Part of why I started this thread was to get more ideas for books to include in the "nonversified" section at the bottom. My ulterior motive is that I am hoping someone will come up with a resource that would have so much impact on the Passage Guide that it will ultimately have a dataset made from it, such as was done with Bullinger's Figures of Speech: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/117097.aspx?PageIndex=1.

Posts 277
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 6:47 AM

I like John's passage guides a lot. Big Smile

The only books or categories I might add would be:

"The Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament"

A collection of Biblical Theology which I would include books like the "New Dictionary of Biblical Theology"

And a collection of Literature background which would include books like-

"Words of Delight"

Dictionary of Biblical Imagery"

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 7:11 AM

Matthew I have fewer categories for my commentaries but as long as you know where to look and why many approaches work. 

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 7:15 AM

Lonnie Spencer:
"The Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament"

I would think this would be classified as type:bible-commentary and should already show up in the Passage Guide along with other commentaries, but I do not know for sure, as I don't own it (it is on my wishlist). That said, I have wondered whether there would be a way to further integrate a resource like this. Perhaps add it to the list of resources that fuel the Parallel Passages section?

Granted, the two resources I already have showing up in that section are displaying duplicate information, so more of the same might not be beneficial. Does The Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament divide passages into different "uses"? If so, a dataset could potentially be built from those and integrated with the Passage Guide...

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 7:22 AM

John Fidel:
Matthew I have fewer categories for my commentaries but as long as you know where to look and why many approaches work. 

Yes, I probably went a little overboard, but my logic was that I wanted a system where I could have relatively recent commentaries divided by use but then also quickly find which ones have recent scholarship and which ones are a little older. An example of how this is beneficial is that it sorts for me which International Critical Commentary volumes are of recent publication and which are over a hundred years old. Every book is tagged individually and no single commentary appears in more than one group. 

Posts 277
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 8:48 AM

You are right Matthew. I went back and checked my "Parallel Passages" and the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament does not show up there. That would certainly be a nice feature to be able to add it to the Parallel Passages. So I suppose it would have to be added to the commentaries section to be useful. Bummer!

Posts 448
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2015 11:21 AM

A little while back I wrote a post about this on the Logos blog. I find that adding counseling resources to the passage guide helps me stretch my mind in different ways to apply a passage to all of life.

Other collections that I've added to my custom passage guide include:

• Apologetics - helpful for anticipating objections
  • Catechisms - helpful for explaining the doctrine of the passage
  • Journals - helpful for seeing the range of scholarly discussion on the passage
  • Systematic Theology - helpful for seeing the breadth of doctrine the passage affects 
Posts 3
LogosEmployee
Michael Pompeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 11:33 AM

Hi Dave (and others in this thread)! My name is Michael Pompeo. I've been working here at Faithlife for 2 years now.

I have a great trick I've found that helps you extract the sections in your library that specifically have application-oriented content (anything that covers the best ways to act on a subject/principle). I own Chaplain's, and when studying a subject like "Forgiveness", for example, you often want to look at the Steps Of Forgiveness that different authors might provide in their books to see how you can walk someone through a grievance they have (or yourself for that matter!). Chaplain's is the best package for obtaining a large amount of that content, but what's the best way to find those particular sections in a book? Currently, Logos doesn't really do the heavy-lifting in that area, but I found a way that's pretty close! Let me know if you have any ways to tweek it.

HOW TO FIND AN APPLICATION-ORIENTED SECTION:

Either use an application-type collection of books that you already created or just use Logos’ filters (by opening Search, then click on “Everything” and type “counseling” in the Find Box and it should generate the number of books you have in your library that are tagged as counseling. Click on that number, and those books will become your search range.) For me, I just select the “Application” collection that I have created, then change the filter to “All Text”, and enter this command (For example, if you are studying forgiveness and want to specifically find things like the "steps of forgiveness"):

forgiveness AND ([field heading] “steps for”, ”steps to”, application, tips, ”activity”, activities, ”ways to”, "what to do", homework, ”practical ways”, ”practical steps”, ”practical exercises”, exercises, assignment, "thought and discussion", ”discussion questions”, "for discussion", "discussion topics", "discussion point", ”guidelines for”, ”guidelines of”, "for reflection", "reflection questions", "questions for", "study questions", "think about", "link to life", "to the secret place", "digging in", "community builder", "consider this", "action points", "ideas for", "today's experiment", "reshaped lives", "action steps", "group study")

If you are studying confrontation, then just replace the word “forgiveness” with “confrontation” in the string above. Make sure you select "Match all word forms" as well.

Let me know how that goes!!

Also, vote for an "Application" tool to be added to Logos' system here! https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/7489870-a-tool-that-helps-people-find-relevant-application 

Posts 3075
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 12:26 PM

Please forgive my ignorance but how do I get other books to appear in the passage guide that aren't commentaries?

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 12:40 PM

Lonnie Spencer:

You are right Matthew. I went back and checked my "Parallel Passages" and the Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament does not show up there. That would certainly be a nice feature to be able to add it to the Parallel Passages. So I suppose it would have to be added to the commentaries section to be useful. Bummer!

Not sure why - it does appear in mine (see below). I have prioritised it as I look at it every time I work on an NT passage. 

EDIT: After reading your comment more carefully I noticed that you are expecting it to appear under Parallel Passages. It doesn't appear there as it's a commentary. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 26028
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 12:59 PM

Mattillo:

Please forgive my ignorance but how do I get other books to appear in the passage guide that aren't commentaries?

Via a Collections Section. A Commentary Section uses a Scriptural Index to select what shows; A Collection Section uses a simple search.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2016 3:46 PM

Hey John

dit you tag your whole Libary by your own?

How dit you do it

Sascha

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 4:54 AM

I think your question is directed at my post. I actually used many of the formulas provided in the forums, wiki and in faith life groups to create collections in the library search window and then selected all the resources that resulted and tagged them appropriately. For example I used a collection for technical commentaries in the library search box and then tagged those commentaries as such. The most challenging of course are those that are type:monograph as they cover a wider range.

Another options i to review some of the larger collections on www.logos.com such as collectors and see how Logos categorized them. As you get closer to the end of your tagging, sort by mytag and you will see all the books not tagged and can decide how to tag them accordingly. It took a while, but I became much more familiar with the resources in my library.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:07 AM

Hi John

thanks for your Answer (don't know why your Post dit'nt show up when I direct answer your Post) this helps me further :-)

Sascha 

Posts 27275
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 8:02 AM

Sascha John:
don't know why your Post dit'nt show up when I direct answer your Post

I am not sure what you mean, but I have an idea. Do you mean you don't know why his comments don't appear in your post? If so, it is because you need to use the "quote" feature in your post. 

1. Make sure you are using "reply" to bring up the full editor and not "quick reply."
  2. If you want to "quote" the ENTIRE post, click "quote" at the end of the user's post.
  3. In many cases a better choice is to select some text in the user's post and THEN click quote. The end result is that only a part of the other user's quote appears. See above in this post and compare to below:

Sascha John:

Hi John

thanks for your Answer (don't know why your Post dit'nt show up when I direct answer your Post) this helps me further :-)

Sascha 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2016 9:35 AM

Ah Ok thanks I forget Nr. 2 :-)

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS