Just A Thought: Bookaholics?

Page 2 of 6 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 107 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1306
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 8:48 AM

Addiction normally leads to a premature death, but how about the bookaholics?

My feeling is that they live longer than average, no idea why??

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 5119
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 12:54 PM

Veli Voipio:

That's easy they are not going to give up till they finish that book... and they likely always have two on the go so they have more reason to live.

-Dan

Posts 2560
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 1:54 PM

"Abba Evagrius said: 'Cut out of your heart the desire for many things, and so prevent the mind being disturbed, and the quiet wasted.'"

Owen Chadwick, ed., The Sayings of the Fathers (Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1958), 42.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 3:45 PM

Charles McNeil:

I am glad what I described is not your experience. Shall I admire your wealth, acquisition, and/or discipline (self-control)? I am sure there is someone with a Logos Library larger than yours. I guess for some, the sky is the limit and the last book is until the NEXT advertisement or published release.

Finding the balance in all things is the key to healthy living. 

Sometimes it is healthiest to abandon all other things to focus on the one, most important goal. That is the message of the Pearl of Great Price. When I decided to get serious with Logos I sold my classic cars, 28 guitars and my home studio to buy Logos resources. I re-arranged my retirement budget to afford more resources. 

I am not building a Logos library just for my own use. I have thirteen children and plan to leave it to one of them. For the present, I can use much of my library to homeschool the four sons I still have at home. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 4:00 PM

I'm so tempted to start a Bookaholics Anonymous then check myself in

Posts 2071
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 4:07 PM

Charles McNeil:

Are there any specific early waring signs for one to heed when enough is enough (books) and too much is good for nothing?

• Spending more time on Logos.com, Amazon without specific requirements for needed resources.
  • Buying because it's on sale. not because you need it.
  • Ignoring your family and friends.
  • Finding excuses to indulge. 
  • Your study is littered with Fritos bags, Mountain Dew cans and coffee cups.
  • Can't remember what you've bought and with endless items yanked from your cart. (Thank you Logos)
  • Wondering why the eye drops bottles are so small.
  • Becoming incoherent if you miss a sale.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 4:13 PM

One should also consult their spouse about purchases. My wife gave her input here: 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/24077/180376.aspx#180376 

Posts 55
David Achorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 4:40 PM

This is an interesting conversation.  How many feel Logos is an expense and how many see it as an investment?  I read a lot so I view it as an investment. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 5:18 PM

David Achorn:

This is an interesting conversation.  How many feel Logos is an expense and how many see it as an investment?  I read a lot so I view it as an investment. 

investment

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:13 AM

David Achorn:

David,

Investment or not, can one overly invest?

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:29 AM

Super.Tramp:
I am not building a Logos library just for my own use. I have thirteen children and plan to leave it to one of them. For the present, I can use much of my library to homeschool the four sons I still have at home. 

You're admired for your decisions. You're truly a wise and thoughtful man and father. This is NOT an addiction, it's an investment in the present and into future, beneficial to one's self and others. Blessings upon you and the household!

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:35 AM

Veli Voipio:

Relative, but at what quality of wealth (or lack), health and life?

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 1:41 AM

SineNomine:
"Abba Evagrius said: 'Cut out of your heart the desire for many things, and so prevent the mind being disturbed, and the quiet wasted.'"

In addition, an outdated joke: "How do you stop a charging elephant?  Answer: "Take away his credit card."

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 2:09 AM

James Hiddle:
start a Bookaholics Anonymous then check myself in

An idea:  To all Bookaholics (confessed and closet) invest (non-book) in a good treadmill. Put it near an opened window or where there is a flow of fresh air, project your book on a large screen or monitor and read while walking or use the audio (read aloud). It will help the mind to comprehend the reading of all those books and improve circulation. Did I just suggested how to be a healthy Bookaholic?

Posts 10287
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 2:47 AM

Bruce Roth:

• Stay off Logos.com
  • Unsubscribe from email lists
  • Stay off the forums or at least the General one
  • Avoid the Home page in the app

You convinced me. I will do that—after Christmas and before March Madness, except for… Wink

Besides, I only own 1/3 the resources of ST—Now, where did I put the credit card? Geeked

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 2:58 AM

Bibliosis – A rarely fatal progressive communicable disease caused by gathering books

Liboniitus – a swelling of the personal library, usually a protective response due to inordinate amounts of interest or curiosity.

Logosis – considered by some experts to be related to Accordapox. It is a collection of imported digital matter in the cortex of the workstation. Considered addictive and seasonal, particularly acute during the months of March and December  

Treatment is varied and often unsuccessful. These diseases are considered chronic. Oddly group therapy is discouraged and seems to encourage the spread of the disease.  

First symptoms include desire for more RAM, recurrent billinghams, and godly insight    

Posts 1695
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 5:42 AM

Dan Francis:

Veli Voipio:

That's easy they are not going to give up till they finish that book... and they likely always have two on the go so they have more reason to live.

-Dan

Excellent response Dan Big Smile Big Smile  Brought a smile to my face, thanks 

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1306
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 8:21 AM

Just getting off-topic as usual: what would be the correct English word for an overly map enthusiast, as good as bookaholic? 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 55
David Achorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 8:40 AM

Charles McNeil:

David Achorn:

David,

Investment or not, can one overly invest?

Absolutely.  I'm not sure where investment ends and over-investment begins, however.  When does one have too many books?  

Posts 2652
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 9:31 AM

Veli Voipio:
what would be the correct English word for an overly map enthusiast

Slang would be 'mapaholic', of course.

Medical term is 'cartophilia' or 'cartophilic'.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 2 of 6 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS