Just A Thought: Bookaholics?

Page 4 of 6 (109 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 108 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2015 7:17 AM

Veli Voipio:

Recently my friend bought some forest and found a 1935 Ford in it, honestly in quite bad shape. Now he is considering restoring it. Nobody blames him if he'll spend a lot of money.

Of course it came into my mind if some people are spending a lot of money to bring old cars to shiny condition, then could I spend as well when I am trying to reconstruct a sort of ancient Christianity in its glory on my desktop?

Indeed - many hobbies are exceedingly expensive. Its a bonus I think when a hobby directly benefits a ministry and doubly so when that benefits your position in your profession.

At this point singleness is a blessing that results in unbridled growth of my library. No one to ask but God, no one elses welfare to consider beyond my own (in terms of finances). If I use these things to better equip me to reach people with the Gospel, then from my perspective there isn't a better way for me to spend my money.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2015 8:47 PM

Veli Voipio:
Of course it came into my mind if some people are spending a lot of money to bring old cars to shiny condition, then could I spend as well when I am trying to reconstruct a sort of ancient Christianity in its glory on my desktop?

Several years back I decided to give up all my other hobbies and invest in Logos. I think I made a good choice.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 456
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 11:41 AM

Charles McNeil:

Logos Users,

With thousands of books, Bibles, Collection Sets, maps, data sets, dictionaries, commentaries, etc., with no end in sight and many more books to come; is it possible for a “Holy man” or person to become a bookaholic? Can one become addicted to (religious) books? I speak namely of when a person racks up huge debts (borrows/credit), reads all the time, purchase books over food, hardly eats the food available, and don’t sleep for studying and reading. Is this possible? Is this the average Pastor, a seminarian, or an anomaly? No, I am not describing myself-- Just a thought.

If this is wrong forum, Oops!

Isn't this what everyone does? Why would you spend money on groceries which last only a few days when you can buy books that will last a lifetime?  There is no such thing as a bookaholic, just readers and nonreaders. Ok back to my books now.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 12:11 PM

Michael Kinch:
Isn't this what everyone does?

No, not everyone. Enjoy your books! Big Smile Wink

Posts 708
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 12:25 PM

Michael Kinch:

Isn't this what everyone does? Why would you spend money on groceries which last only a few days when you can buy books that will last a lifetime?  There is no such thing as a bookaholic, just readers and nonreaders. Ok back to my books now.

That's hilarious. But there's always part of me that dreads becoming Henry BemisSurprise

Posts 1309
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 12:10 AM

I just wanted to add a picture

The personal library of retired John Hopkins University Humanities professor Richard A. Macksey, housed in his home in Maryland, USA.

http://robaroundbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Personal-library-of-Richard-A-Macksey.jpg 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 25194
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 12:26 AM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 919
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 4:05 AM

Impressive!

When we were in our previous house one of our smaller book cases was in an alcove next to the fire. One day I realized that it had shrunk a little, the floor joists were giving way underneath it.

In our current house, when we moved in we put up our largest floor supported shelving system in the front room which went the full length of the longest wall. It also depended on the wall for some leaning support. After a week or so I noticed cracks were appearing on the other side of the wall. Sadly the library is now scattered over the house. Another reason for going for e-books - real books can be dangerous to your house's health

Posts 8436
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 5:15 AM

Veli Voipio:

I just wanted to add a picture

The personal library of retired John Hopkins University Humanities professor Richard A. Macksey, housed in his home in Maryland, USA.

http://robaroundbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Personal-library-of-Richard-A-Macksey.jpg 

That certainly is impressive. It also looks a little dangerous. I can imagine that it could be a bit precarious to try to access the higher books.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 892
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 8:09 AM

There was a time when I planned on having bookshelves that went from the floor to the ceiling all the way around my office. Now that I have made the switch to electronic books, I cringe to think about having a physical library as large at the one in that picture, let alone having to ever move it from one location to another!

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 9:18 PM

even with my logos titles, as long as there wasn't a lot of overlap, I would love to have the library - or even the shelves - from that picture.

That would be a tremendous blessing.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 6:25 AM

Lew Worthington:
That's hilarious. But there's always part of me that dreads becoming Henry BemisSurprise

Here is the ending: http://youtu.be/UAxARJyaTEA

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 1309
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 8:22 AM

bibliomania does not deserve the name of bibliomania until it is exhibited in the second stage. For secondary bibliomania there is no known cure

Field, E. (1996). The love affairs of a bibliomaniac. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 17 2016 2:59 PM

Veli Voipio:

bibliomania does not deserve the name of bibliomania until it is exhibited in the second stage. For secondary bibliomania there is no known cure

Field, E. (1996). The love affairs of a bibliomaniac. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc

Thanks for sharing. Tongue Tied

Posts 5
David Martinez | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 3:06 AM

Maybe for bookaholic is possible. But, as for me this concept is not exactly applicable. Even when I was a student and until now that I'm working. I make sure to get enough sleep, relaxation and eat healthy foods. 

Posts 1309
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 8:41 AM

Just adding to this old thread, a good place for a book addict:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/13/17/464EB7C500000578-5078055-image-m-45_1510592502653.jpg 

Is this the world's ULTIMATE library? From last November, new library in China. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5078055/Is-world-s-ULTIMATE-library.html 

Posts 5737
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 9:02 AM

Cool! Maybe they should do a Logos Ultimate Base Package 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8436
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 11:27 AM

Veli Voipio:

Just adding to this old thread, a good place for a book addict:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/13/17/464EB7C500000578-5078055-image-m-45_1510592502653.jpg 

That is pretty amazing.

Just wondering what a library of 20,000ish volumes would look like on a wall.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1894
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 5:33 PM

We could call it the Leaning Tower of Biblio-Babel Base Package .

Posts 2800
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 12 2018 7:28 AM

I am humbly grateful for this post.  I feel so much more righteous with my mere 7,500 resource library.  O, Lord, I thank Thee that I am not like other men!  (or women, too.)

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 4 of 6 (109 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS