A Lexicon Listed as an Author? Tagging Error?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 30 2015 7:33 AM

When I search my library for "targum," I have 65 resources. The author for 64 of them is listed as "Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon," which seems odd (lexicons don't author targums or anything else, last time I checked Smile). The remaining item is "An Introduction to the LDLS edition of the CAL Targums," whose author is listed as "Logos Bible Software." In reading that introduction, it refers to the "Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project," which it abbreviates as "CAL." This explains the author listing on the other 64 resources. However, Would it not be better to list their author as "Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project," that way it does not look like a lexicon is an author? This is a relatively minor issue, but it could alleviate some confusion and prevent professors from raising their eyebrows when they read a paper with the citation as it currently stands.

Posts 1259
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 9:13 AM

The "author" of these targum transcriptions is a corporate author, the "Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon" project. There is no one person or single small group of people responsible; it is output from the project.

Kinda weird, I know. But (as I recall from when Logos published their work) this is how they wanted to be represented.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 10:12 AM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
The "author" of these targum transcriptions is a corporate author, the "Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon" project. There is no one person or single small group of people responsible; it is output from the project.

I think we are on the same page regarding a corporate author. My point was not that there should be a single individual's name as the author. Rather, I was wondering why "Project" got dropped from the author's "name" if the full name was "the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project."

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Kinda weird, I know. But (as I recall from when Logos published their work) this is how they wanted to be represented.

This probably is the final answer.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS