touchy question

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2015 6:01 AM

I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a blog/article etc that provides arguments for/against homosexuality and Christianity?  Let me be more specific, I know of homosexuals who are very much anti-religion, particularly Christianity, and I know of homosexuals who claim to be Christian or have a Christian belief. I think I know why those who are gay would be against Christianity. What I do not know, and the reason for the question, is how a homosexual reconciles their Christian faith with the homosexuality that exists in their life.

I have seen well respected pastors discuss this with gay pastors on news shows but those are venues that do not seem helpful because they are short on time and are trying to force their points before a commercial break and end up arguing more than anything.

I also do not want to be responsible for starting a flame war here on what is otherwise a Christian business site who may not want to draw the controversy for understandable reasons.  But there are so many well educated people here that I feel someone can direct me to a place that this issue is discussed.

So, is there anything out there in the internet that you know of that presents a good dialogue about this issue?

thanks

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 6:32 AM

This is not really the place to ask such a question.  You could search for Logos resources that would cover the issue in depth:

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=homosexuality

Note that there is also a Mobile Ed Course, BI390 Biblical Sexual Ethics, which might also be helpful.

You could start the same thread at www.christiandiscourse.com, which is the place Faithlife has set up for such discussion.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 7:11 AM

Thanks Joseph, I figured this was not the area for responses which is why I did not ask for anything other than a place to do so.  Having said that, I posted basically the same question over at www.christiandiscourse.com as you mentioned.

If moderator could lock further replies but leave the thread here so other can go find it to respond that would be appreciated.

thanks

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 7:39 AM

I saw your post over there.  No need to lock the post.  Someone may come along with some suggestions from Logos resources.

I also remembered this thread about The Queer Bible Commentary.  It might spell out the types of arguments for which you were looking.  See the last posts from Dan; he might still be willing to email you a copy.  I got it, but I have not really had a chance to look into it very much.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2856
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 9:05 AM

Stephen Smith:
blog/article etc that provides arguments for/against homosexuality and Christianity

Personally, I think this is a perfectly legitimate place to ask for suggestions. Others may disagree.

First, there was an extensive thread about this a few months back. Searching the archives may find it.

Second, I posted a PB file in the Files area of a resource or two that might be helpful. When I have time to look up those links, I'll edit this post and put them in.

Third, if you want the contemporary pro-gay arguments from the horse's mouth, look no further than Matthew Vines' book. I won't link it. You are on your own finding that. (One of the PB resources I put in the Files area was Southern Seminary's response to Vines.)

Fourth, there are several resources available, but many of the newest are Vyrso, not Logos resources. In that missing thread, a number of links to recent but older Logos resources were given.

What you are looking for can't be done in something like a blog post, and really probably not even a long-form article. There's too much there (IMO).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Here are links to the Files for PBs (the first is a John MacArthur sermon, the second is the Southern Seminary response, and the third is a compilation of blog-post replies by several well-know pastors/theologians):

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113370.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113237.aspx

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/112818.aspx

------------

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5252
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 10:59 AM

You will find some items on my home page that is located in the tag line...

-Dan

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 11:16 AM

Stephen Smith:
So, is there anything out there in the internet that you know of that presents a good dialogue about this issue?

Not as much as there should be. Admittedly this is not a research or discussion focus of me, so I may have missed something, but actually I've see only one good dialogue on this, recapped here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theologyintheraw/2015/06/preston-sprinkle-and-jeff-cook-a-debate-about-homosexuality/ 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10594
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2015 12:26 PM

Stephen Smith:

A few months ago, I did some extensive research on Romans 1. If you are interested, here is the PBB I created, along with a cover picture submitted by another forum user—Sorry I do not remember who it was. The default font in this document is Times New Roman, which may make a difference in compiling.

2335.Paul's Condemnation of Homosexuality (PBB).docx

3806.3010.Cover.jpg.zip

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS