Create a Word List using Mounce's BBG3 vocabulary...

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Keith Barrett | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2015 8:45 AM

I'm attempting to create a Word List in Logos 6 for Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (BBG3) text book and was hoping to find an existing Word List already created that could simply be imported. I found an old list for BBG3 here: https://www.logos.com/training/vocabularylists but can't find any means of importing this into Logos 6 for a Mac. Ultimately I'm creating this Word List to sync with the Flaschard app on my iPhone and per this page for Flashcard: https://www.logos.com/flashcardapp?revision=3908 it clearly states that you can "Utilize the power of Logos 6 to create custom word lists or get word lists from popular textbooks." As such, does anyone know if there is already a Word List created for use in Logos 6 for Mounce's BBG3 or how it can be created? I can get the BBG3 vocabulary list from Mounce's website in either Excel or RTF format but still can't figure out how to import either of these into a Logos 6 Word List.

Thanks,

Keith Barrett

Posts 2426
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 8:59 AM

There is one available.  I think through Faithlife.  You have to subscribe to it and then it's under documents.  I did have some difficulty with the wordlist showing up on my iPhone.  I think I had to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone, but it worked.

I'm not sure why, but some of vocabulary on the back of the card is too long and the app does not adjust the font to get it to all fit.  But this only happens on a few of them.  Overall it works well for me.

https://faithlife.com/word-lists-for-flashcards/documents 

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 9:20 AM

On the faithlife website for the Basic in Biblical Greek class under documents there is a master list of Mounce BBG3. Some of us started breaking it down by chapter so there are some chapter vocabs available under documents. We just kind of let the group fizzle out and everyone stopped participating but the products we created are still available.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 9:21 AM

But also it would be to your benefit to create the lists yourself.

Posts 8
Keith Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 9:43 AM

Hey Matt...thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the list you're referring to is the same as the one mentioned in the prior post by Ronald. If not, please let me know. That said, you mentioned that there were some word lists specific to the chapters, however, I didn't see any for BBG3. As such, as I'm going through each chapter I will add the chapter titles to the "section" column of the word list and publish by chapter accordingly. I've done that for chapters 4 and 6. Let me know if the chapter word lists already exist and are just in a different location. I'm specifically looking in the "Word Lists for Flashcards" section of documents.

Posts 8
Keith Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 9:44 AM

Excellent...thanks!

Posts 11383
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 10:03 AM

Keith Barrett:

Hey Matt...thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the list you're referring to is the same as the one mentioned in the prior post by Ronald. If not, please let me know. That said, you mentioned that there were some word lists specific to the chapters, however, I didn't see any for BBG3. As such, as I'm going through each chapter I will add the chapter titles to the "section" column of the word list and publish by chapter accordingly. I've done that for chapters 4 and 6. Let me know if the chapter word lists already exist and are just in a different location. I'm specifically looking in the "Word Lists for Flashcards" section of documents.

Keith,

there is at least one other group you may want to look at:

Actually I wanted to make that two, since there was a group dealing explicitly with Mounce's BBG (see this thread), where some people had put up some chapter-specific Word Lists, but it seems this group was deleted from the server 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8
Keith Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 10:17 AM

NB,

Thanks for pointing me to these additional lists, however, I think the group dealing explicitly with Mounce's BBG has been taken down as the link in the thread doesn't go anywhere and searching for the group doesn't show any results either.

Posts 11383
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 10:21 AM

Keith Barrett:

I think the group dealing explicitly with Mounce's BBG has been taken down as the link in the thread doesn't go anywhere and searching for the group doesn't show any results either.

That's what I meant above, that I would have liked to point you to this group - I'm not sure why it's gone, don't remember a notification about that. It was dormant for some time now, so maybe the group admin deleted it on purpose (although I think that shouldn't have been done).  

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 10:25 AM

As Mounce includes every word occurring 50 (I think)  or more times in the NT in his BBG vocabulary you could always build a word list of all words in the Greek NT, sort it by number of occurrences and delete all those occurring fewer than 50 times. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 11383
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 11:19 AM

GregW:

As Mounce includes every word occurring 50 (I think)  or more times in the NT in his BBG vocabulary you could always build a word list of all words in the Greek NT, sort it by number of occurrences and delete all those occurring fewer than 50 times. 

but you then wouldn't have Mounce's glosses (which probably are relevant for classroom assignments) but Logos' glosses and also miss the chapter info from BBG.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS