Logos & or Faithlife Branded thumb drive.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 28 2015 7:32 AM

A logos branded USB 3 (!!) thumbdrive available in 32, 64, 128, and perhaps 256gb sizes. Not the cheap chinese made plastic ended ones, but good ones that will be durable. Ligonier ministries sent out a nice one this summer... 64gb with a copy of most of their books, for a donation of any amount. USB 2.0 only though.

You could even write a script that copied whatever resource files we have license to (at that moment) and sell it as a backup device. Put a readme on there with instructions for using the scan command, or else a link to the wiki. Of course this feature ought to have an appropriate up-charge.

It would probably lower your amazon cloud services overhead. I know my computers get reloaded probably once a year regardless. x 5 machines. Sometimes I can use the scan command, sometimes (if there was a hardware failure) I can't. Sure, I can make my own. But not everyone can.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

https://www.logos.com/product/49386/32gb-usb-stick

(I don't think it comes with any book files unless you order it as part of an initial base package purchase.)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 8:26 AM

abondservant:
A logos branded USB 3 (!!) thumbdrive available in 32, 64, 128, and perhaps 256gb sizes.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 9:29 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

(I don't think it comes with any book files unless you order it as part of an initial base package purchase.)

I have a couple like that I think from Kingston, and they have personality. PLUS I think thats probably USB 2, not USB 3.

ST - how much did it cost to get your BP on a thumb drive?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 4:41 PM

abondservant:
ST - how much did it cost to get your BP on a thumb drive?

$0.00     It was one of those times when Faithlife went the extra mile for me. I jokingly whined about my portfolio purchase and Bob must have seen it.  

Posts 1991
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:07 PM

I asked before if I can get the Collector's on the Logos' usb for free, but the cs said no...

.. okay.. Embarrassed

I tried Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:28 PM

mike:
I asked before if I can get the Collector's on the Logos' usb for free, but the cs said no...

Now that I own Collectors I would pay for a thumb drive with it pre-loaded. I just ordered a new laptop today with a 500GB SSD and am not looking forward to the download. At least the indexing will be faster.

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 4:14 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Also, I checked 32gb definitely isn't big enough. may have been before collectors perhaps? but definitely not now.

Super.Tramp:

mike:

Now that I own Collectors I would pay for a thumb drive with it pre-loaded. I just ordered a new laptop today with a 500GB SSD and am not looking forward to the download. At least the indexing will be faster.

I would as well. It was brutal downloading everything on my laptop this past week. I used to have a really fast internet connection. But now I live in a mobile (on the water, which I just love) several acres down from my parents. Since its all the same big piece of property it made sense to share their internet. So I mounted and weather proofed three wireless routers, made them connect to each other, and viola. 2mbps internet - as long as its not raining, or someone isn't mowing, or using a tractor, or parks their truck in a weird place, or or or or. The price is right, the service - less than ideal.

Having it on a thumb drive makes a lot of sense. I tried to use one of the kingston ones that I have (similar to the logos branded one in the link above) but during the copy phase it would over heat and the speed dropped way off. I ended up copying the files to a network share on my desktop, mapped a local drive and scanned that. but it took for ever. a USB 3.0 thumb drive would be ideal. plus I don't know what it costs Logos to deliver 45gb of data over the internet. but over time its probably more than a flash drive costs them.

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 4:59 AM

The cost is about .09 cents per gigabyte.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 830
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 7:58 AM

abondservant:

Having it on a thumb drive makes a lot of sense. I tried to use one of the kingston ones that I have (similar to the logos branded one in the link above) but during the copy phase it would over heat and the speed dropped way off. I ended up copying the files to a network share on my desktop, mapped a local drive and scanned that. but it took for ever. a USB 3.0 thumb drive would be ideal.

FWIW:  Try using a USB 3.0 thumb drive with SLC memory instead of the standard MLC/TLC.  SLC costs more but is far superior w/r to speed (see the Newegg review) and durability (5 yr warranty).  Available through Newegg in 16, 32, and 64 GB sizes.

Edit: Here is a review of the 64 GB model.

Edit2:  This is the reason your thumb drive speed dropped way off.  The article specifically discusses SSDs but it is also true for thumb drives.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 10:51 AM

JRS:

abondservant:

Having it on a thumb drive makes a lot of sense. I tried to use one of the kingston ones that I have (similar to the logos branded one in the link above) but during the copy phase it would over heat and the speed dropped way off. I ended up copying the files to a network share on my desktop, mapped a local drive and scanned that. but it took for ever. a USB 3.0 thumb drive would be ideal.

FWIW:  Try using a USB 3.0 thumb drive with SLC memory instead of the standard MLC/TLC.  SLC costs more but is far superior w/r to speed (see the Newegg review) and durability (5 yr warranty).  Available through Newegg in 16, 32, and 64 GB sizes.

Edit: Here is a review of the 64 GB model.

Edit2:  This is the reason your thumb drive speed dropped way off.  The article specifically discusses SSDs but it is also true for thumb drives.

Thats interesting and will be a factor I consider in any future flash drive purchase.

However, in my case, I don't think that is precisely the problem - for one its a USB 2 drive, and for two the thing exhibits the issue only under certain circumstances that can be easily reproduced and lead me to believe its thermal.

That does explain the performance on my (too small) usb 3.0 drive however.

Posts 2821
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:15 PM

Here's the user voice request for the thumb drive idea:

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/10936203-installable-software-library-and-license-backup

Please place your votes if you support it.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:26 PM

Why not allow us to download the entire library, Guides, Layouts etc., onto a Thumb drive including the lisence, for offline installation?

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2015 6:56 PM

Jan Krohn:

Here's the user voice request for the thumb drive idea:

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/10936203-installable-software-library-and-license-backup

Please place your votes if you support it.

Thanks! gave my 3 votes.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS