Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1546
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 28 2015 8:21 AM

As one who did several years of Arabic along with my other semitic studies, I'd like to see this in Logos. It's being hailed by non-Muslims as making the Quran accessible AND against terrorism and simplistic interpretations. HarperOne is the publisher. It's 2000 pages.

http://amzn.to/1IpxdJg

CNN wonders if this volume could cure extremism. (Unlikely, of course, but helpful.)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/25/living/study-quran-extremism/

NB: NOT a discussion of Islam.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1342
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 8:57 AM

Yes there seems to be a shortage of resources on Islam in Logos. (Ie. I could only get a pb of the Hadith). Hopefully we will see more resources to aid in understanding and evangelizing Muslims. 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 9:45 AM

I'm about to start a comparative study class between Islam and Christianity as part of my MA Biblical And Theological Studies. This resource would be very useful! 

+1Yes

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 10:53 AM

Mike - was that PB in the files area? if not can you make it available? I think it would be helpful.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1342
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 11:05 AM

abondservant:

Mike - was that PB in the files area? if not can you make it available? I think it would be helpful.

Absolutely. Haven't look at it to closely but it looks good.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/104806/724599.aspx#724599

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 11:14 AM

EDIT: Point well taken I was being a bit glib I would value this resource and purchase it in FL.

-Dan

Posts 1546
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 11:27 AM

Edit: thanks Dan!

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1342
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 11:38 AM

I would like to see a Logos Now type tool (Similar to the Commandments of the Law) on the Hadith. I find this Hadith carries a lot of weight with Muslims but it tends to be inconsistent.

To keep this on topic. This type of tool would be helpful in witnessing to Muslims.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 12:30 PM

Downloading the Kindle Sample and skimming very quickly the introduction and looking over the primary notations I think i can well say this is something most needed in FL, it is valuable in understanding and I am sure would be good in interface dialogue.  The only thing approaching a flaw it in my mind is the archaic language it is translated with, the thees and thous feel out of place enough in the RSV let alone a translation done in the 21st century.  But that is a rather small matter compared to the resources it offers. As it;s introduction says the Quran is even important in understanding Aquinas as many of his arguments came from Islamic sources. This may well be a "rosetta stone" in understanding the beliefs of muslims and show some of our common ground.

-Dan

Posts 1546
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 6:41 AM

Bump.

Posts 9
Matthew Lawrence | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 5:45 PM

Also Logos needs to add the Hadith's (Bukhari and Muslim), I have the hadith's on Kindle but it's too difficult to study on there. 

Posts 3
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 11:24 PM

Yes

Posts 1016
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 11:25 AM

I figure it would be a good resource when it comes to Islamic studies and dialogue with Muslims, and I would add my vote to those suggesting this being a part of Logos/Verbum

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5082
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 9:43 AM

Someone should add this to the Book Suggestions UserVoice.

Posts 5317
Posts 1546
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 12:42 PM

Amazon's running a 25% off books thing.  Good time to pick up that Study Quran (or any other book) which is not available through Logos.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 6:45 PM

200 golden hadith's
http://www.amazon.com/200-Golden-Hadiths-Darussalam-Publishers-ebook/dp/B00EUF282O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449801861&sr=8-3&keywords=hadith

(FREE)

and

The Hadith (sunni edition) .99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/Hadith-Muhammad-al-Bukhari-ebook/dp/B016VEYTL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449801861&sr=8-2&keywords=hadith

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 5082
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 8:08 PM

Dan Francis:

Thank you. I voted for it. I see a few other people have too. Smile I hope they also perused the other suggestions there so far to see what else they think would be good.

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 8:19 PM

@ matthew you can download the Hadith's both (Bukhara and Muslim) as a pdf file and then make a PB in Logos for them i did.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 18 2016 10:21 AM

Another bump for this...

I bought it recently in kindle format for a comparative studies class I'm taking as part of my MABTS. It's a great resource for those interested in discovering more about the Islamic faith, with some interesting essays near the end of it. Navigating around this resource is a little clunky in the Kindle app for iOS and OS X - I'd love to have it in Logos format! Smile

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS