If Dec. 8th were more like Nov. 8th...

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2015 3:03 PM

Russel Taylor:

This also doesn't take into consideration limited-time sales unless you've already been saving money into the cache or another account.  If I need three months to save for 25% down on a sale price that only lasts for one month, I am not likely to take advantage of the sale.

Sales come and sales go.  Blessed be the arrival of sales.  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3585
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2015 8:06 PM

Russel Taylor:
If I need three months to save for 25% down on a sale price that only lasts for one month, I am not likely to take advantage of the sale.

This is the one good argument that I've seen for the old rules as opposed to the new ones.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2015 12:15 AM

Hey David, just a thought.

If you realy need it...it's two Days bevor Christmast Wink just ask your Friends...and if you REALY need it, borough the Money from your Friends...but if you don't realy need it...just relaxe, save your Money and either by something else or save it.

SaschaSmile

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 11:53 AM

This kind of feels like being kicked in the shin, and told its better.

Better for you maybe.

My pattern has been:

Make a big purchase, pay, pay, pay, pay, make a small purchase and let the monthly payment lower.

1000$/10 would be 100$ a month. Pay that for 4 or 5 months, add 100$ to the plan, and lower the payment to 50$ a month (estimates, so you can see how it used to work for me.

My plan would stay right around two years (because I kept my balance high). Then I made a big purchase, and the number of months was lowered, and they made it so any new purchase would lower the number of months i could make payments for taking a 395$ monthly payment (actual number) and turning it into a much higher monthly payment.

I'm happy to continue paying 400$ a month. I will do so for the next 24 or so months.

But after that I'm done with logos credit. No more purchasing one of each base package (which is pretty much where I am now). I'll make smaller purchases as I can afford them, but will make no further long term financial commitments. I no longer feel like its a safe idea to make a commitment that depends on their policies remaining stable over time.

Maybe in six months they will change back. But even then, their policy would be capricious. Who builds a house on sand?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & Baptist Platinum.

Posts 29138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 11:57 AM

abondservant:
Who builds a house on sand?

I do any time I use my credit card.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5286
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 12:37 PM

I am not trying to point fingers at anyone, but apparently there were a significant number of users who were amassing a sizeable debt to Logos. To a certain extent I was guilty, not the scale of some but i tried to keep my payments the same and did occasionally add things on. This was great for me, but meant Faithlife as a company was going to be extending a higher and higher credit out to me, they are receiving no interest and were incurring costs of payment of royalties now in olden days and even today in some less scrupulous places owing ones soul to the company store maybe a corporations dream, but it is not FL ultimate goal, nor do the wish for people to end up in situations where they cannot make their monthly payments. While at first i was disappointed in this decision I now fully feel it was likely the best move for all involved other than perhaps FL sales totals. But if people keep buying and never fulling paying off, which was sort of my position over the past 2 years, FL becomes rich on the books but never fully realizes that potential. I have 25 months left on my payment plan (mostly because i got nervous and grabbed Anglican Portfolio while it was still available under older practices, where as I was not planning on getting it till summer 2016 or perhaps even Logos 7 Anglican Portfolio).  Things may get added to this but I realize that it is no longer get now pay later, but 25% down. Which causes me to ask the important question do I need this enough to make that investment. I went a head and paid full for TDOT because to me it was well worth it..

-Dan

Posts 797
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2015 12:49 PM

I always liked this advice.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS