Simple Question about "Interesting Words" & "Topics" Clouds

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:45 AM

When you open the "Interesting Words" and/or "Topic" links you get the colorful grouping of, well, interesting words and/or topics (you already know this). My problem is that I can't even begin to read these words/topics unless I expand or float the panel. In L3, you get a list of words/topics - a list that you can read without having to rearrange your layout. 

Am I missing something? Or, is this just the way it is? Just curious.

Thanks.

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 55
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:01 AM

I agree that this feature like many others was designed by someone who is is more focused on design than on functionality. I too would like a mor functional design.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:25 AM

Agreed, the topic "cloud" is way too random and needs to be redesigned imo.

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:42 AM

For me, the biggest issue is the size. I could handle the cloud if I could read it. I'm just wondering what everybody does when they want to use this feature. I assume everyone just resizes, or floats, the panel?

I guess I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something silly like a little button that says "expand cloud," or something similar. 

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 26137
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:28 PM

Charles C.G. Miller:
I agree that this feature like many others was designed by someone who is is more focused on design than on functionality

I agree with your sentiment but not with the wording. I think of the design as being visually-oriented. Those of us "of a certain age" are more text oriented. Just consider the change in textbooks from basically all text to significant graphics.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:34 PM

MJ. Smith:
I think of the design as being visually-oriented. Those of us "of a certain age" are more text oriented. Just consider the change in textbooks from basically all text to significant graphics

I find both types useful for different situations. The could becomes more of a puzzle to many, that intrigues them as they try and understand what it is telling them.

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:54 PM

Terry Poperszky:
I find both types useful for different situations. The could becomes more of a puzzle to many, that intrigues them as they try and understand what it is telling them.

Does the size of the word or topic help with understanding the importance of the topic or word.  Or is it as random as it look?  If not random, how is the size determined - by its use in the passage, chapter, book, or all of scripture?  or something else?

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 2:06 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Does the size of the word or topic help with understanding the importance of the topic or word.

Floyd, I can't speak to topics which I haven't used. But the size of the word in "Interesting words" is determined by the frequency of the word in relationship to the frequency of the other words in the passage being examined. For instance run one on 2 Corinthians 11.22-27 and notice the relative size of the word Danger as opposed to the other words in the cloud, now take a look at the passage and you will see why.

Posts 4589
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 10:07 PM

I would like to see the "Topics" section redesigned as well. The current format is really cumbersome and often confusing. A simple list of topics would be fine with me.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:39 AM

Fred Chapman:
A simple list of topics would be fine with me.

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS